• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

If NC State can do it, then I guess our turn will come one day. Hopefully it's not another 37 years or something.
NCSU has quietly turned into a strong regional and in some cases national athletic power: consistent 7-9 wins in football ( and owning UNC), 3 MBB bids plus an ACC championship in the last 7 years, national power in WBB, consistent NCAA baseball bids, national champs in cc, and I think pretty strong wrestling, swimming and gymnastics. Somebody fairly close to NCSU athletics told me that with the ACC win and Keatts extension, Boo Corrigan may be able to retire in a few years down the road w/o having to make a single major coaching hire, I.e. not having to fire a coach, or replace a succesful one leaving for greener pastures. And with the NC legislature angling to prevent UNC leaving the ACC w/o dragging NCSU along, plus Duke’s national bb brand, we’ve got our work cut out to remain relevant going forward.

We have guards and we have bigs.

Would like a few forwards like:
Kenny Green
Rodney
Tucker
King
Peral
Josh Howard
ETA the Mangler
Vytas
Levy
Strickland
LD
AFA
James Johnson

And then...
LaRavia.

Last edited:
All those players have won depressingly few postseason games.

And you left out Songaila.

Songaila was so damn talented. Incredible footwork. Ruined by the refs. After frank johnson, songaila is the one most worthy of jersey retirement. Chris King would dominate in today’s game - Anthony Tucker too.

Steve Forbes is signed through at least 2029. He's not getting fired this year, next year or the year absent a scandal or the program falling off the table, like L'ville did under Kenny Payne.
I like Forbes. He seems like a great guy and has improved the program to not awful.

But why do we keep extending coaches based on meh results?

Johnstone
Ivy
Cline
I watched the retire Meyer game recently.

Cline started at SF as a FR in that game. What shocked me was the number of wide open 15 to 18 foot shots all teams of that era had. I watched the 1983 ACCT and it is crazy how open guys were, with defenses sagging off..

And Cline was so nervous v. DePaul. He was an excellent shooter but was bricking open 15 footers and FT. He was dribbling and thinking about the shot. Over thinking.

In today's game on the ball pressure is so much more intense. I guess Nolan Richardson and Coach K (jerk) helped that happen.

And guys drain shots like RJ Davis was doing with very long Diarra in his face. They're not wide open. And there's no time to think, you just hit the shot.

Songaila is an oversight.

Dude would put up 20 and 8 in this era. Probably as a 5 if we had a good, rangy PF like Antwan Scott beside him.

Songaila would be unstoppable in today’s college game. He could score every way possible. Nowadays he’d be encouraged to shoot threes and expand his face up game.

wake on the verge of a huge upset of a 2 seed in the second round? A Cinderella in the making? no Darius gets hurt in the game, and we lose a heartbreaker. god truly does hate our sports teams.

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

wake on the verge of a huge upset of a 2 seed in the second round? A Cinderella in the making? no Darius gets hurt in the game, and we lose a heartbreaker. god truly does hate our sports teams.

Wake has had a large number of injuries and illnesses of key players that limited or eliminated key players from playing in NCAA Tournament games.

Rutland
Dawson
Duncan
Chill
Songaila, as noted above

A depressing list. I believe there are lore, but have been blocked in my memory.

Songalia bailed us out so many times. Especially when ROK, Dawson, and some of our other guards would be in those ill timed shooting slumps. I think I remember him being somewhat prone to foul trouble from time to time.

Howard had the sprained ankle and Songaila missed the open layup to beat Oregon.

IIRC. It's like we are cursed.

Howard had the sprained ankle and Songaila missed the open layup to beat Oregon.

IIRC. It's like we are cursed.

We are cursed. I watched Big Country play like Larry Bird against one of the top 50 players to every play the game in Tim Duncan and send us home. Probably the best team we ever had for a legitimate shot at the Final Four. And a guy with about 10 teeth in his head and a crew cut could NOT miss. Unbelievable actually.

Big Country was 4-15 from the floor. He was 7-8 from the line, to his credit.

Rutherford killed us, and we had the Jason Skaer banked in 3.

Big Country was 4-15 from the floor. He was 7-8 from the line, to his credit.

Rutherford killed us, and we had the Jason Skaer banked in 3.
We were up by 5-6 points midway through the second half and then they seemingly couldn't miss. Everything just went in.

This was the worst NCAAT loss for me. I really think we would have handled business against UMass and made some noise in the Final Four.

Back