• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

I guess Keatts and Brownell making a run gives me hope for Forbes one day
Brownell has been at Clemson 14 years, has made the NCAA tourny 7 of those years, and has multiple Sweet 16s.
Keatts has been at State fewer years but has similar success ratios.

Steve Forbes has been at Wake 4 years and hasn't done jack shit except implode in every imaginable way to avoid success. We act like State and Clemson have two buffoons as coaches while we have some sort of hidden gem. It couldn't be farther from the truth. Forbes isn't fit to carry Brownell's and Keats' balls. Just rip off the bandaid and fire his ass now. Keeping him around is just delaying the inevitable, as usual, while our athletic program becomes more and more irrelevant at the exact wrong time.

My honest characterization of Wake athletics culturally is that everything requires more work. We are under resourced as a result of being so small that’s unavoidable. We can put together a great home court, but not for a full season we can have some stars, but struggle with depth. We can keep good HCs but struggle to keep talented assistants.
I honestly don’t see this - our ability to make the NCAA tournament occasionally isn't contingent on us outspending everyone else, and the money we do spend on basketball seems in line with the rest of the ACC, or at least adequate.

I honestly don’t see this - our ability to make the NCAA tournament occasionally isn't contingent on us outspending everyone else, and the money we do spend on basketball seems in line with the rest of the ACC, or at least adequate.
Right. We didn't lose to GaTech and ND because of a lack of money. We lost because we have an awful coach.

Right. We didn't lose to GaTech and ND because of a lack of money. We lost because we have an awful coach.
right, tons of respect for Df07 and his experience in athletics, but our ability to win home games by 30 against ACC teams absolutely nullifies our resource excuses for losing to those same teams on the road.

He's getting two more years regardless. We'll see how things are and John Currie will reevaluate in 2025-2026 if need be.

Lot's of folks thought Kevin Keatts was finished at NC State two weeks ago. Now they're in the Sweet Sixteen.

No point in troubling yourself over things that you can't do anything about.
I really hope this isn't the case as then Currie is no better than Ronnie and greatly disappointed in leadership to allow 5 straight years with no NCAA while coaches getting paid millions and others ponying NIL $ for NIT at best???!! Putrid leadership if so as it is clear coaching is suspect with the half to half performance variance of the team and don't care how bad the condition the program was in, covid, blah blah blah all coaches deal with similar issues and still have quick success. 5 has been and is too much and 6 is inexcusable.

It's frustrating, but both years we shit the bed when it mattered

Forbes' teams have shit the bed in every game I can remember that would have comfortably put us in in the tournament, but won just enough to stay around the bubble

This is spot on. We have never been considered safely in the field in any bracket projection because we lose every single game that could get us there.

Until this year, Forbes himself admitted we were behind in NIL. Clawson said the same thing. At a certain point it’s just math. We have smaller recruiting budgets.

Depth comes into play in the road games because you can’t really change things up if things aren’t going well.

Resource disadvantages aren’t the only explanation, but hubris is far from it. We’ve lacked confidence more than anything. Is why confident competitive people like John Currie and Mike Piscetelli stand out with their performance.

This is spot on. We have never been considered safely in the field in any bracket projection because we lose every single game that could get us there.
I want to say that if our schedules had been more challenging than we would have gotten in, but we don’t seem to win enough of the challenging games as is, so I don’t know if a harder schedule would just expose us?

Brownell has been at Clemson 14 years, has made the NCAA tourny 7 of those years, and has multiple Sweet 16s.

It's amazing the shit that gets posted on this board as "facts":

Brownell is in Year 14 at Clemson - Year 13 discounting the covid year.

He has 4 NCAA tourney appearances at Clemson in 14 (or 13 years) but only 1 in his first seven seasons at Clemson. 2 sweet 16's and 2 first round exits.

Keatts is in Year 7 at State - Year 6 discounting the covid year.

He has 3 NCAA tourney appearances at State in 7 (or 6) years but only 1 in his first 5 (or 4 years). 1 sweet 16 and 2 first round exits.

The interesting thing about both Brownell and Keatts is a large number of folks in each fan base wanted them OUT at some point prior to their current tourney runs.

Steve Forbes has been at Wake 4 years and hasn't done jack shit except implode in every imaginable way to avoid success. We act like State and Clemson have two buffoons as coaches while we have some sort of hidden gem. It couldn't be farther from the truth. Forbes isn't fit to carry Brownell's and Keats' balls. Just rip off the bandaid and fire his ass now. Keeping him around is just delaying the inevitable, as usual, while our athletic program becomes more and more irrelevant at the exact wrong time.
Poor, poor post.

stick to being wrong about the New York Football Giants, you dumbass

1711375215410.png

The interesting thing about both Brownell and Keatts is a large number of folks in each fan base wanted them OUT at some point prior to their current tourney runs.
Keats & Brownell both made the tournament their first season, so they immediately got extended runway with admin and fanbase. We’re probably not having these conversations about Forbes to this degree if the ManMan team had gotten a bid.

It's amazing the shit that gets posted on this board as "facts":

Brownell is in Year 14 at Clemson - Year 13 discounting the covid year.

He has 4 NCAA tourney appearances at Clemson in 14 (or 13 years) but only 1 in his first seven seasons at Clemson. 2 sweet 16's and 2 first round exits.

Keatts is in Year 7 at State - Year 6 discounting the covid year.

He has 3 NCAA tourney appearances at State in 7 (or 6) years but only 1 in his first 5 (or 4 years). 1 sweet 16 and 2 first round exits.

Excellent summary.

He's getting two more years regardless. We'll see how things are and John Currie will reevaluate in 2025-2026 if need be.

Lot's of folks thought Kevin Keatts was finished at NC State two weeks ago. Now they're in the Sweet Sixteen.

No point in troubling yourself over things that you can't do anything about.
Eh we'll see. If Wake isn't in the tournament at the end of next season there will be pressure on Currie to make a move. He may very well give Forbes another year after that but I wouldn't say it's a sure thing Forbes gets two more years.

It didn't seem to matter in previous years. The ACC always performs well in the tournament yet each year the media continues to tell us how bad of a conference it is compared to the mighty SEC.
I've noticed quite a bit of push back over the past few days on some of the paid anchors. I wouldn't be too surprised if it at least makes them a bit more cautious in the predictions next year concerning the ACC and some of the traditionally smaller conferences, such as the MWC.

Back