• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

It was very predictable that Efton would have trouble getting his waiver. We also knew Monsanto would be out for a while. There was no plan for their absences.
Ituka getting injured. Marsh concussion impacted rotation and practices. Canka, Clark, 3M and Keller all not being useful is pretty surprising.

The Marsh concussion early in the season removed him as an option to fill in for Reid, which forced Carr into a lot of minutes at the five. That wore Carr down early and it took a while for him to recover.

If Ituka is healthy, he gets the backup PG minutes that Hunter and Cam had to play. That would have allowed them to play more minutes at the three in a smaller lineup. Also Boopie could have played some minutes as an off ball guard with Jao as the primary ball handler.

Forbes had a number of issues outside of his control impact this season. His wife's stroke and Efton Reid's issues with the NCAA and their arcane decision process were two of the biggest. Those were exacerbated by the injuries to players who were expected to be significant contributors this season. I'm in the camp of Forbes gets at least one year without a lot of unusual external impact events.

His wife's stroke was tragic and it creating a distraction for Forbes is 100% understandable. No doubt.

But what concerns me, extending my post above, is the total lack of in-game discipline at critical moments. WHAT ARE ALL THOSE ASSISTANTS DOING ON THE BENCH!?!? I don't believe Efton Reid situation nor Mrs. Forbes' stroke had any impact on us looking like the Bad News Bears at times with balls being passed to no one, wild-ass 3-point shots with leads, extremely poor clock management and an inability to make key stops against some very average competition.

We damn near blew the Duke game with that dumbass alley hoop pass with a lead and tons of time on the shot-clock.

You can take 5 lanky, marginally athletic kids and coach them play disciplined basketball (see Princeton, Yale, Oakland etc...). They may not win many games but they force you to beat them. We beat ourselves almost weekly! That is what concerns me.

Ituka getting injured. Marsh concussion impacted rotation and practices. Canka, Clark, 3M and Keller all not being useful is pretty surprising.

The Marsh concussion early in the season removed him as an option to fill in for Reid, which forced Carr into a lot of minutes at the five. That wore Carr down early and it took a while for him to recover.

If Ituka is healthy, he gets the backup PG minutes that Hunter and Cam had to play. That would have allowed them to play more minutes at the three in a smaller lineup. Also Boopie could have played some minutes as an off ball guard with Jao as the primary ball handler.
But Canka, Clark, Keller, and MMM not being useful is on the coaching staff. They either aren’t developing these guys or are completely missing far too often on talent evaluation.

Ideally no Monsanto or Reid would have been the time to get Keller, Marsh, Marion, Canka, and Clark quality minutes so they’d be ready to contribute in conference play.

Every team has injuries. 64 of them managed to overcome those injuries. Hell, outside of Monsanto who has been LaMelo Ball-style unavailable over the last few years anyway, we didn't have any of our main guys get significantly hurt to the point of missing lots of games. And Reid played in all of the winnable games that would have gotten us in the tournament had we won them.

He’s right. The woe is me “we could never find a better coach” bullshit is lazy and sad. Just admit you’re comfortable with NIT level basketball. I’m so sorry that [redacted] only won 13 games a year, but it was 10 years ago, you gotta move on with your life. [Redacted]’s tenure is not the standard for Wake Forest Basketball.
I don't personally subscribe to the "couldn't find a better coach" theory - though hiring a coach will always be somewhat of a crap shoot, no matter what kind of genius you might think you are. Look at Shaka at TX - can't miss coach at a place with unlimited resources leads to... not a lot of success.
The dumb part of the post I quoted was calling the fanbase a bunch of losers and blaming the situation on us. To the best of my knowledge, no matter how much I refuse to accept mediocrity, I will have zero impact on the athletic department at Wake Forest - and the same goes for 99.9% of the fanbase.

Please never mention Ituka again - I really do not believe he exists.

Ideally no Monsanto or Reid would have been the time to get Keller, Marsh, Marion, Canka, and Clark quality minutes so they’d be ready to contribute in conference play.
Keller got minutes, he isn't good.

But what concerns me, extending my post above, is the total lack of in-game discipline at critical moments. WHAT ARE ALL THOSE ASSISTANTS DOING ON THE BENCH!?!? I don't believe Efton Reid situation nor Mrs. Forbes' stroke had any impact on us looking like the Bad News Bears at times with balls being passed to no one, wild-ass 3-point shots with leads, extremely poor clock management and an inability to make key stops against some very average competition.

This is what kills me. Fine, if the possession breaks down and Ried is wide open late in the shot clock, take the shot, but he should never take a three with more than 10 seconds left on the shot clock. The team needs to be coached. That last game was a microcosm of all our bad habits and coaching deficiencies. When you're 1-10 from three and the other team has nobody that can guard Carr on the block, stop shooting threes.

He’s right. The woe is me “we could never find a better coach” bullshit is lazy and sad. Just admit you’re comfortable with NIT level basketball. I’m so sorry that [redacted] only won 13 games a year, but it was 10 years ago, you gotta move on with your life. [Redacted]’s tenure is not the standard for Wake Forest Basketball.
For me it's not "we could never find a better coach," it's that I think Forbes is a very good coach. I listen to his press conferences and think he's very insightful and willing to adapt. I impressed at the vision he has when he takes portal players and makes them into all ACC players and NBA prospects. I'm super impressed with the results he has had at other schools - taking ETSU to the NCAAs twice in 5 years and leading them their best record in the history of the program (30-4), leading a community college to the national championship game in back-to-back seasons, assisting on the best team in Wichita State history, etc. And I think the teams he has had at Wake have been have been some of the better Wake teams in the past 20+ years, based on W/L and rankings. To me, this all points to a coach that knows what he's doing and will have success, if the program is supported (which I think it now is).

See absolutely no way Keller is on the team next year. He needs a fresh start.

Keller was a 4-star recruit who had some major offers. His lack of improvement is, again, on the coaching staff. I refuse to believe that Clark, Canka, MMM, and Keller just all forgot how to play bball. They are young guys who need to be coached up.
I struggle with this. Forbes can coach up guys in the portal and turn them from mediocre to first team ACC players, but others seem to fall through the cracks.

The thing that was most concerning to me down the stretch, was the unexplainable lack of defense for long periods in the second half of games.

Take the last VT game. There was instance after instance where they got wide open and uncontested dunks and layups in the second half eradicating the double digit lead we had beforehand.

I'm not trying to pile on by any means, but we haven't had any truly good defensive teams since GDO.

Back