• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes

https://theathletic.com/1786897/202...a-qa-with-new-wake-forest-coach-steve-forbes/

“I think people forget, I guess, that I coached at Tennessee, Wichita State and Texas A&M, and I signed maybe 10 top-100 players during that time out of high school. You recruit to the job you have. You recruit to win at the job you have. We found our niche at East Tennessee State. Why would I not recruit JuCo when I can go get some of the best ones in the country, and I have those relationships, and I’m not in an area that produces a lot of high school players at the Division I level?”

Here’s some clarification for those who think he won’t be able to recruit at this level.

really great interview

really great interview

“I always talk about this: Before you can have culture, you have to have identity. Identity is immediate. Culture takes time. If you didn’t know anything about basketball, if you didn’t know anything about offense or defense, and you came to watch one of my teams play, you’d say, number one, man, those guys play really hard and they play really tough and together. If you didn’t know anything about our offense, you’d say, man, Forbes’ teams really share the ball. That ball moves. That ball moves side to side, inside and out. Number three, you’d say those guys are gritty, grimy, tough and together on defense. G.G.T.T. — I actually came up with that. That’s one of my very few things I’ve come up with. They’re tough, cohesive. When the ball goes on the floor or there’s a rebound, they are grabbing that ball with two hands. The last thing is, that team really executes. They do what they’re supposed to do, when they’re supposed to do it, on and off the court.”

This guy can coach and he gets it. Wake basketball has lacked an identity for 10 years.

really great interview

Somebody make Strick sit down before he reads this:

Talk to any coach who makes a jump to a league like the ACC or the Big Ten or the Big 12, the challenge is having a system that worked there — does it really work here? How much of what you did at East Tennessee State can you do at a place like Wake Forest? Or do you have to feel that out?

You adapt your offense and defense to your team. I’m not afraid to change. I’ll give you an example: We went 30-4 this year. I’ve never coached motion in my life. Now, I’ve been on some staffs where we played it. But I spent a lot of time with (Toronto Raptors coach) Nick Nurse last summer and he convinced me to play five-out motion, position-less basketball. I studied it, my staff studied it, and we did it. And I think we were really good at it. It made us better defensively, because we had to guard it every day in practice. So I’m not afraid to change.

What it comes down to is who’s on the roster in the fall, and what are their strengths and weaknesses? Our job is to put them in the best position to be successful. That may be man-to-man, that may be zone, that may be a combination, I don’t know. I’d prefer to play man. But we’ll do what we have to do to win. I love to run motion and play fast. But if we’re turning the ball over, guess what? We won’t be playing so fast. I’m not one of those guys that says, this is our offense, this is what we’re going to do every time. You have to coach to the team you have.

I will be rooting hard. I think Forbes is a massive upgrade for us. He’s a great hire. He was my 3rd choice. I doubt seriously Wake has ever even got close to hiring my 3rd choice.

My point here was the same as it was when it looked like we may be hiring Amaker. A hiring cannot be evaluated on Day 1.

That sure seems to have changed in 2020. I will be calling it a win when it actually is one. I’m betting it will be too. But the scoreboard is still 0-0.

Currie, though, he’s already a win. He’s the bomb!

You would have evaluated Miller as a win on day one, and would have done so in either of the last two hiring cycles. So I really don’t know what you’re talking about. You just like attention, could that be it? Sorry to say I’ve given it to you then.

This video may come back to bite him 1) graduate students 2) win championships. No wake coach has done this in almost fifteen years. Currie setting up Forbes for over committing and under delivering. Also interesting no one on the hiring committee had any basketball expertise/ experience.

This is plain ridiculous. Sorry but the last 10 years were lead by 2 of the worse 5 ACC coaches of all time. Last 10 years is irrelevant given the absolute ineptitude on display. Both Odom and Skip did it over 20 years and Dino could have if given the leash [. ] and DM were given. Dino did get a top 3 rank albeit ever so briefly.

I’m in love, Ph.

Yeah, I like that I can't find anything definitive in looking at ETSU's KP numbers in terms of a style of play. Even their pace of play changed a lot from very fast early in his tenure to very much on the slow side towards the end.

Looks like he's going to be very willing to adapt to personnel and do whatever it takes to win

Most consistent things though seem to be shooting the ball well inside the arc (translating to good overall shooting) and forcing a lot of turnovers. Also a lot of blocked shots defensively

Last edited:
Yeah, I like that I can't find anything definitive in looking at ETSU's KP numbers in terms of a style of play. Even their pace of play changed a lot from very fast early in his tenure to very much on the slow side towards the end.

Looks like he's going to be very willing to adapt to personnel and do whatever it takes to win

But does he coach guys to get to the free throw line?

But does he coach guys to get to the free throw line?

Sadly ETSU only ranked 150th in terms of percentage of pts from the line this past season, while Wake was in almighty sixth place.

Clearly we've taken a big step backwards

“I always talk about this: Before you can have culture, you have to have identity. Identity is immediate. Culture takes time. If you didn’t know anything about basketball, if you didn’t know anything about offense or defense, and you came to watch one of my teams play, you’d say, number one, man, those guys play really hard and they play really tough and together. If you didn’t know anything about our offense, you’d say, man, Forbes’ teams really share the ball. That ball moves. That ball moves side to side, inside and out. Number three, you’d say those guys are gritty, grimy, tough and together on defense. G.G.T.T. — I actually came up with that. That’s one of my very few things I’ve come up with. They’re tough, cohesive. When the ball goes on the floor or there’s a rebound, they are grabbing that ball with two hands. The last thing is, that team really executes. They do what they’re supposed to do, when they’re supposed to do it, on and off the court.”

This guy can coach and he gets it. Wake basketball has lacked an identity for 10 years.

All of that is the complete opposite of Wake b-ball has been the last 10 years - definitely the last 6.

Currie on XM, no details on buyout other than “don’t believe everything you see in the news” BUT he did said that Forbes and his assistants checked into their hotel today and then saw the practice facility and plan to stay at the practice facility tonight.

I love him.

Yeah that’s really incredible. Got to love this and one would think it would inspire players.

I’m in love, Ph.

I'm just loving that our coach was just hanging out last summer with the coach of the reigning NBA Champions and the championship coach was just like, "Hey Steve, you should try a five-out motion position-less offense." And Steve said, "I'll check it out." And then he did it and won 30 games.

I’ll be rooting for this guy hard to win some games over the next 5 years. But he hasn’t won a single one yet.

The 2020 world is so, so different. Everyone thinks we won. If we’d of hired Amaker we would have lost. Both would be 0-0 tonight.

This is some roboheel-worthy nonsense right here. Don't worry, we'll leave room for you on the bandwagon once we are rolling again under Forbes.

This is plain ridiculous. Sorry but the last 10 years were lead by 2 of the worse 5 ACC coaches of all time. Last 10 years is irrelevant given the absolute ineptitude on display. Both Odom and Skip did it over 20 years and Dino could have if given the leash [. ] and DM were given. Dino did get a top “1”rank albeit ever so briefly.

FIFY

This video may come back to bite him 1) graduate students 2) win championships. No wake coach has done this in almost fifteen years. Currie setting up Forbes for over committing and under delivering. Also interesting no one on the hiring committee had any basketball expertise/ experience.

What is this crap?

It’s like the end of WWII here, try to celebrate. We hired a very good coach and more importantly, canned Culture we are Wake Forest and we are better than you dumbass Wellman and dopey lose 20 games a year what an embarrassment Manning.

Back