• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes

Will be interesting to see how VT and WF do moving forward.

Both hired 50 something SOCON coaches coming off great runs with their respective programs, both WF and VT suffered or will likely suffer lots of initial attrition, giving coaches lots of leeway to build their programs. Think both will do well, but feel like WF edged out VT in selecting the better candidate. We shall see.

Will be interesting to see what the ACC looks like in 5 years.

Young was harder to assess because he'd really only been at Wofford and a few other small programs. He built Wofford up to an amazing level for the SoCon with his final team, but beyond that he'd just been a solid coach.

That Forbes has won everywhere he's been, has coached under three coaches who've made Final Fours and has been a part of a major conference programs all certainly augurs well, especially compared to Young

Was Forbes ever discussed as a target for VT?

Young was harder to assess because he'd really only been at Wofford and a few other small programs. He built Wofford up to an amazing level for the SoCon with his final team, but beyond that he'd just been a solid coach.

That Forbes has won everywhere he's been, has coached under three coaches who've made Final Fours and has been a part of a major conference programs all certainly augurs well, especially compared to Young

agreed - had one magical run with Wofford, but otherwise was "pretty good" for 15 years

People really fall in love with any mid-major coach that wins games in March. Forbes' profile would've gone up exponentially if he won a game in this tourney

People really fall in love with any mid-major coach that wins games in March. Forbes' profile would've gone up exponentially if he won a game in this tourney

agreed - he was 2 NCAAT wins or a season cracking the top 25 from being out of our range

The only sport that should be allowed to have grey uniforms is baseball.
Agreed.
It really is an unattractive color for indoor sports. Weirdly, I think the interaction with earth surfaces actually makes it more acceptable.

Was Forbes ever discussed as a target for VT?
According to one VT board I've been keeping an eye on during the search, yes. Briefly.
And, State fans kicked the tires on Forbes between themselves prior to Keates.

So who are these “PLAYERS” he called?

We will hold you to it. I look forward to a Forbes/Miller postseason rematch in the 2-15 game of the tournament.

And I will look forward even more to a Forbes/Pearl 1st time postseason matchup.

Young was also from down the road (Radford) so that surely enhanced his appeal

Lunardi's last bracket had ETSU as a #11 seed playing #6 Iowa in the opening round. The winner of that game would've played #3 Duke or #14 Belmont in that bracket. Would've liked ETSU's chances against Iowa. Duke v. ETSU would've been fun. Hate that the tournament was cancelled, but agree that other programs would've been in on Forbes if not for the epidemic.

There is nothing from the last 10 years to highlight. Man, I miss those old days - Eric Williams, JGray, Paul, JJ, Teague, AMA, Downey, JHo

This is where someone needs to pull out the GIF of Nikita shooting the ball over the entire backboard

Just left an enthusiastic robocall message on our voicemail.

Lol—😀

Welcome, Mr. Forbes. Hope you are very successful as a Deacon!

Will be interesting to see how VT and WF do moving forward.

Both hired 50 something SOCON coaches coming off great runs with their respective programs, both WF and VT suffered or will likely suffer lots of initial attrition, giving coaches lots of leeway to build their programs. Think both will do well, but feel like WF edged out VT in selecting the better candidate. We shall see.

Will be interesting to see what the ACC looks like in 5 years.

Just from having watched and attended way too many So Con games, I can tell you that Forbes is way more passionate outwardly and likeable. His players loved that guy and his team’s were much more intimidating from a system perspective. Young rode one player to the VT job. We got the way better Coach.

Back