• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

stick a fork in the season

"Good group of seniors"? In what sense? They haven't been too good at football.

Camp, Nikita, Price, Olson, Chase, Thompson... had Grobe and staff not farted around with the offense to begin the season, even after losing Camp and the Syracuse game, we'd still be sitting at 6 wins now and bowl eligible looking towards a 7 or 8 win season.:mad:

We are not going to beat duke without Camp. He is the only part of our offense that functions and Tanner is helpless without him.

We didn't really underestimate Syracuse, we just didn't perform at an FBS level. Syracuse didn't play well at all. Their defense was tough but their offense was pretty anemic until their coaching staff made changes while we sat around and twiddled our thumbs at halftime.

Duke is probably about as good as Maryland was when they had Diggs and Long. Syracuse is worse than both those teams. Syracuse is still a bottom four or five team in the ACC and it's really not close IMO.

We didn't really underestimate Syracuse, we just didn't perform at an FBS level. Syracuse didn't play well at all. Their defense was tough but their offense was pretty anemic until their coaching staff made changes while we sat around and twiddled our thumbs at halftime.

Duke is probably about as good as Maryland was when they had Diggs and Long. Syracuse is worse than both those teams. Syracuse is still a bottom four or five team in the ACC and it's really not close IMO.

Yeah, I don't think we underestimated Cuse at all. Weren't they pretty much, in the words of Denny Green, "what we thought they were?" Their offense is not good, they had one good TD drive and then scored after a turnover and caught us with our pant down. We held them to 13 points without getting a turnover. I honestly believe that Camp would've had a big day against their defense had he not gotten injured. Syracuse is not a good team, but they were better than us Saturday which is all that matters.

I am not underestimating Duke, I am recalling the scenarios that have happened over and over again. When expectations are high, WF football almost always lays an egg. When expectations are low, the other team looks past us (like Duke will after getting beat by Cuse and demolished by F$U) and we play out our butts.

F$U - big loss
Duke - WF win
Vandy - big egg

It is really quite simple. When you cheer for the deacs, figure out the most devastating scenario you can and count on it coming true - like the last second td vs ULM, only to have Camp drop the 2 pt conversion.

I am not underestimating Duke, I am recalling the scenarios that have happened over and over again. When expectations are high, WF football almost always lays an egg. When expectations are low, the other team looks past us (like Duke will after getting beat by Cuse and demolished by F$U) and we play out our butts.

F$U - big loss
Duke - WF win
Vandy - big egg

It is really quite simple. When you cheer for the deacs, figure out the most devastating scenario you can and count on it coming true - like the last second td vs ULM, only to have Camp drop the 2 pt conversion.

Not sure Duke is a team that will look past us, last year they beat us for the first time in forever, so in their mind I'm sure they think they still owe us for years to come. Plus, with 6 wins already in the bag, Duke has the opportunity to get 8 or maybe even more wins which would be their best season in a long, long time. I think we get Duke's best shot, I just hope they get ours.

yeah, with camp we'd very likely have won against 'cuse.

I can't find any reason to think we will beat Duke. Cuse is awful and we couldn't score a point without Camp. Nothing will be different against Duke. Hell, after FSU ass rapes us we might be missing even more players. Maybe we shouldn't play any starters and let FSU have their way with our scout team. It doesn't matter anyway, we are done for the season.

I think our D can slow Duke down but how we are going to score enough points to win that game escapes me.

I think our D can slow Duke down but how we are going to score enough points to win that game escapes me.

Yeah, I think so too. Duke's offense was horrid against Va. Tech, not to say our defense is at that level, but the problem is unless we have some guys step up by then will we be able to score or even possess the ball long enough for our D to catch it's breath. Our defense gets a huge lift when our offense is playing well. I don't think anything is more discouraging to a defense then watching the other side of the ball go 3 and out after 3 and out.

One of the more frustrating things about Grobe and co completely failing is that not too long ago Duke fans wondered why they couldn't be like Wake. Its clear as day, that Duke is not only like Wake but quite a bit ahead.

The most frustrating thing is for years, Duke fans wondered why they couldn't be like Wake. Its clear as day, that program has left Wake in the Dust.

Right now, yes Duke is ahead no doubt, but Duke has not even sniffed the level we were at from 2006 to 2008 since the Old Ball Coach roamed their sidelines.

Right now, yes Duke is ahead no doubt, but Duke has not even sniffed the level we were at from 2006 to 2008 since the Old Ball Coach roamed their sidelines.

With a couple more wins, and an upset of Miami - they will have achieved what Wake did in 2006. Wake's time is long gone, and only very dark days ahead.

With a couple more wins, and an upset of Miami - they will have achieved what Wake did in 2006. Wake's time is long gone, and only very dark days ahead.

So, you've got them upsetting FSU in the ACC title game and going to the Orange Bowl then?

So, you've got them upsetting FSU in the ACC title game and going to the Orange Bowl then?

Most definitely not - but Duke in the ACCCG? What an unreal turnaround. Get a good coach, invest in good assistants, and out-recruit schools of similar standards. Its a nice recipe - wish Wake could follow it.

Back