• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stock Market Crash

Not to jump on Gaetz bandwagon because I know he's a total piece of shit, but Kamala's defense of the grant is completely empty. "Hey, it's just $13 million ! Not much on a percentage basis !"

Howard isn't workig to find a cure for coronavirus. It's a backstop on expenses. If Howard needs it, so does NC A&T, and so do a lot of other universities, whether they're HBCUs or not.

...for profit colleges getting to keep federal loan money for dropped out students (already a predatory industry) and extension of federal funding for abstinence only education.

What say you Col. Angus Cousin Eddie?

I mean i would imagine Howard getting money is since they’re in the district and Congress is their “state” government.

I mean i would imagine Howard getting money is since they’re in the district and Congress is their “state” government.

I'm not real well versed on the budget of our nation's capital, but Howard is also a private university.

similar to numbers, I don't know things, but Wake got state money

I got a small tuition benefit for being a North Carolina student through those funds

Obviously but you don’t think private schools may end up getting state level assistance if they ask for it? Howard has no such state infrastructure to seek relief and would need to appeal to Congress again down the road were the need to arise.

Similarly, Howard is guaranteed federal appropriations each year from a 1926 law, and has a treatment facility (Howard University Hospital) which has been set as a designated hospital for COVID-19.

The bill also includes $7 million to a private school for the deaf located in DC, but I haven’t heard any complaints about that from the GOP. I wonder wh(ite)?

The bill also includes $7 million to a private school for the deaf located in DC, but I haven’t heard any complaints about that from the GOP. I wonder wh(ite)?

Maybe a little off-color there.

Wasn't the money for Howard's medical school. To support the medical school and associated hospital during a pandemic? Why would that be controversial?

Obviously but you don’t think private schools may end up getting state level assistance if they ask for it? Howard has no such state infrastructure to seek relief and would need to appeal to Congress again down the road were the need to arise.

Similarly, Howard is guaranteed federal appropriations each year from a 1926 law, and has a treatment facility (Howard University Hospital) which has been set as a designated hospital for COVID-19.

No, I don't think Wake Forest or Queens or Duke will get anything close to $13 million from North Carolina for grants to students to defray coronavirus expenses.

Not to jump on Gaetz bandwagon because I know he's a total piece of shit, but Kamala's defense of the grant is completely empty. "Hey, it's just $13 million ! Not much on a percentage basis !"

Howard isn't workig to find a cure for coronavirus. It's a backstop on expenses. If Howard needs it, so does NC A&T, and so do a lot of other universities, whether they're HBCUs or not.

Yeah this is kinda my view too (and i like Kamala a billion times more than that Gaetz shitheel). I’m sure there’s also sorts of pork shoved into the bill, but Kamala took the L on this one.

Howard University has a hospital. Also, DC wasn't treated like a state in the bill, rather like a territory. So rather than get the guaranteed approx. $1.35 billion each state is getting, DC (larger than 2 states and pays more federal income taxes than most states, also #34 GDP, but I digress) is getting only approx. $500 million.

Here's a WaPo article on it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ea-aa80-c2470c6b2034_story.html?itid=sf_local

End taxation without representation! /rant

How long will the bailout bump last? It's pretty mind-boggling that the markets are still skyrocketing amidst the worst job numbers in our nations history by a factor of almost 5.

Howard University has a hospital. Also, DC wasn't treated like a state in the bill, rather like a territory. So rather than get the guaranteed approx. $1.35 billion each state is getting, DC (larger than 2 states and pays more federal income taxes than most states, also #34 GDP, but I digress) is getting only approx. $500 million.

Here's a WaPo article on it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ea-aa80-c2470c6b2034_story.html?itid=sf_local

End taxation without representation! /rant

yeah I was about to post, is that just earmarked for their hospital and not the regular university?

How long will the bailout bump last? It's pretty mind-boggling that the markets are still skyrocketing amidst the worst job numbers in our nations history by a factor of almost 5.

It was pretty much already priced in. The bailout bump feels like a cheap sugar high that’ll fade quick. Like pretty much everything trump says.

yeah I was about to post, is that just earmarked for their hospital and not the regular university?

No idea hospital vs. total university. Obviously Gallaudet doesn't have a hospital. Based on a quick reading of the bill provisions posted above, I don't see why HU couldn't funnel the funds to the hospital if they wanted. I also imagine most colleges are having to up their emergency prep budgets and have some additional expenses based on the crisis, so I could see any college spending on that as well.

Back