• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stock Market Crash

No, I don't think Wake Forest or Queens or Duke will get anything close to $13 million from North Carolina for grants to students to defray coronavirus expenses.

We shall see! We’ve also got lots of people out there who didn’t think we’d hit 1k deaths so there have been plenty of prognostication Ls to go around. I’m ready to take my L if it comes to that.

Colleges and universities with endowments in the billions should be at the very back of the line for any government assistance.

Oh I agree. But they will ask and I’d imagine they will get some dough. Boston Globe had an article talking about Tufts and Northeastern and how they both believe they will need government assistance over the next few months. I don’t understand how that’s humanly possible but it’s where we are.

Yeah this is kinda my view too (and i like Kamala a billion times more than that Gaetz shitheel). I’m sure there’s also sorts of pork shoved into the bill, but Kamala took the L on this one.

Perhaps Kamala should have asked Gaetz if by omission he then approved of the other $1,999,987,000,000 in spending in the bill

Said another way I don’t believe it’s a reach to suggest that Gaetz is blowing a dog whistle here because it’s Howard University and not Georgetown getting $13 million

Oh I agree. But they will ask and I’d imagine they will get some dough. Boston Globe had an article talking about Tufts and Northeastern and how they both believe they will need government assistance over the next few months. I don’t understand how that’s humanly possible but it’s where we are.

That said, I have a friend at Tufts and she said they're loaning space to area hospitals.

My brother, niece and her husband all went to Tufts.

Tufts annual budget is $390M. Even if they are short by 1/3, they could easily take it out of their nearly $1.9B endowment and re-raise the money over the next couple of years.

:bowrofl:

my favorite kind of rj post is when he talks about managing multi billion dollar budgets

my favorite kind of rj post is when he talks about managing multi billion dollar budgets

Almost as good as the sports board takes that we just crack into the endowment to fire the basketball coach.

Or you posting about anything...you're having a kid. You don't need to be this jealous of me.

how much of their endowment do you think is liquid, rj? how much do you think they reasonably lost, on paper or otherwise in the market? do you know about their capital or cash requirements? like, how could you possibly know any of that information to be able to make such declarative statements, much less use words like "easily"?

tying this all together, why didn't Currie just lobby for $13 million to come to him so he could fire Manning? I mean if Howard University can get $13 million why not us?

FUCK YOU JOHN CURRIE!!

Why are the universities in desperate need of government assistance? Are they refunding tuition? Room & board? I'm really curious.

how much of their endowment do you think is liquid, rj? how much do you think they reasonably lost, on paper or otherwise in the market? do you know about their capital or cash requirements? like, how could you possibly know any of that information to be able to make such declarative statements, much less use words like "easily"?

When you have that kind of assets, you can borrow against it quite easily even if it's not immediately liquid. Having done business with major banks on multiple continents, this is knowable.

As to their capital or cash requirements, I posted their annual budget and put out an estimate off of that. But since it was RJ, you ignored it and immediately attacked.

But this how you have acted for all the years you have been on the boards. You take ignorant pot shots rather than trying to have civil discourse. Then you blame whomever your target is for your boorish and uniformed, knee jerk actions. Rather than asking what someone may know, you assume you know more.

But this is who you have been for the entirety of your board life.

Why are the universities in desperate need of government assistance? Are they refunding tuition? Room & board? I'm really curious.

I've read that some schools are having to refund room and board for boarders, and some others are returning part of the tuition. If that happens public universities are probably OK, as are private universities with large endowments. A lot of smaller private colleges and universities have been struggling financially for years, even in the relatively prosperous economy we've had since Obama's second term. I know that in the Triad area Salem College, Greensboro College, Guilford College, etc. have all been struggling to make ends meet for various reasons (usually lower enrollment is a big factor), and I've heard stories of similar schools being in trouble in other parts of the state and in Virginia and elsewhere. If they have to refund tuition and room and board for boarders they may go under, or at least be placed in desperate straits. Whether or not they deserve or need saving is, of course, a separate question that I don't have an answer to. I would think that most larger universities wouldn't need assistance, though.

When you have that kind of assets, you can borrow against it quite easily even if it's not immediately liquid. Having done business with major banks on multiple continents, this is knowable.

As to their capital or cash requirements, I posted their annual budget and put out an estimate off of that. But since it was RJ, you ignored it and immediately attacked.

lol sweet flex yes you can borrow against your assets while interest rates are this low or you can ask the govt for money while people are getting it, as they did

Time to change the thread title. Been buying since the market tanked and enjoying this small run.

Rather than admitting your post was classless, candy-assed attempt at a cheap shot, you could just you were wrong.

What am I thinking? You're never wrong and it's perfectly OK to be a dick even when you are wrong.

What’s the market gonna do once this stimulus bump passes?

I don't think this is all the stimulus. I think the market over-corrected when investors came to terms with how serious of an issue the virus would be, and many companies remain significantly undervalued. My amateur take remains that if you're looking long term, you should be buying all you can right now and not caring what the market does over the next 4-8 months. These companies will be worth more 10 years from now than they are today. And if they're not, we're all fucked anyway.

Back