• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stock Market Crash

I don't think this is all the stimulus. I think the market over-corrected when investors came to terms with how serious of an issue the virus would be, and many companies remain significantly undervalued. My amateur take remains that if you're looking long term, you should be buying all you can right now and not caring what the market does over the next 4-8 months. These companies will be worth more 10 years from now than they are today. And if they're not, we're all fucked anyway.

TITCR

I don't think this is all the stimulus. I think the market over-corrected when investors came to terms with how serious of an issue the virus would be, and many companies remain significantly undervalued. My amateur take remains that if you're looking long term, you should be buying all you can right now and not caring what the market does over the next 4-8 months. These companies will be worth more 10 years from now than they are today. And if they're not, we're all fucked anyway.

maybe, but historic rise in unemployment and reduction in spending will have a long-term impact

Yeah but the unemployment is very artificial in nature.

Right. A huge chunk of those jobs come back with a development as simple as restaurants re-opening. Another huge chunk when retail goes back to normal. This is a very serious issue, but it's also temporary.

I think it's very early to assume that restaurants will just re-open and retail will come back to what used to be normal.

First of all, a lot of people will die. Some will won't be so easily replaced when it comes to returning to normal.
Second, we don't know how people will change their practices over time. If restaurants open, will people go?

This is not temporary. The world will change due to this.

I'm not saying things will be normal in 4-8 months. I think it will take years to fully recover. But this is a thread ostensibly about the stock market, and my position remains that now is a great time to buy and invest in the future of American corporations.

I think it's very early to assume that restaurants will just re-open and retail will come back to what used to be normal.

First of all, a lot of people will die. Some will won't be so easily replaced when it comes to returning to normal.
Second, we don't know how people will change their practices over time. If restaurants open, will people go?

This is not temporary. The world will change due to this.

Dude, it’s been two weeks and people are going insane. As soon as everything opens back up, people will flood back to these businesses. I’m not saying it’s sensible, but restaurants will have extensive waiting times the second they open back up.

Sure if they open up when cases are going down and there’s assurance that the crisis is over.

If they open up because Trump said so, people may be hesitant.

Dude, it’s been two weeks and people are going insane. As soon as everything opens back up, people will flood back to these businesses. I’m not saying it’s sensible, but restaurants will have extensive waiting times the second they open back up.

Guys, if you haven't checked, we're less than 2000 cases away from eclipsing China, and we're basically at the very front end of this contagion in America. We're not even supposed to peak for another 3-4 weeks. Stuff isn't going to be normal for a while.

Guys, if you haven't checked, we're less than 2000 cases away from eclipsing China, and we're basically at the very front end of this contagion in America. We're not even supposed to peak for another 3-4 weeks. Stuff isn't going to be normal for a while.

I’m not sure that’s possible. We have the best healthcare in the world and this crisis is being managed perfectly from the federal level.

Per a couple sites we’ve passed China. Not that I put a lot of weight into reported cases but we’re gonna end up with a shit ton more than anyone else. Total deaths are gonna be well over 20k at this rate.

Well, if people die, then they won't be part of the unemployment statistic any longer.

The number of unemployed in the US has fluctuated between 5.7 million and 6.2 million over the last year (its about to take a big jump). The US just crossed the 1,000 death mark for the virus. Many if not most of those are retired or have medical conditions that prevent them from working, and typically people in those categories don't count toward the unemployment stats. We are a long way from the death-rate of the virus impacting unemployment stats.

Sure if they open up when cases are going down and there’s assurance that the crisis is over.

If they open up because Trump said so, people may be hesitant.

Fair point. 40 percent of the populace at least.

Per a couple sites we’ve passed China. Not that I put a lot of weight into reported cases but we’re gonna end up with a shit ton more than anyone else. Total deaths are gonna be well over 20k at this rate.

And then the narrative will unquestionably be “we shut down the country for 20,000 lives?”

Back