• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Student section

It was. Thousands of tickets were given away to other games as well. I was specifically referring to student attendance, so that probably wasn't affected by ticket give aways, but attendance in general certainly was.

It was affected by a large number of non students sitting in "student seating" (including myself). It is fairly well known among recent alumni that they don't check student I.D's to get into basketball games anymore and they certainly don't ask for wristbands to get into the student section.

I agree for the non conference games (and the same goes for this year), but I disagree for the ACC games.

I went to every ACC home game from 2004-2010 and about half of the ACC games since then. It's really not even worth comparing student attendance now to what it used to be. It's not even close.

I guess I'm not explaining myself well. I'm not saying we have the most incredible students ever, and they show up no matter what. I'm simply saying that student attendance for ACC games was pretty good last year. There are many reasons for this: weekend games, timing of games, opponents rank, ticket give aways, etc. I initially pointed this out in response to the poster that implied there would only be 50-100 students for a home ACC game against unc if school was in session, which I think is incorrect.

You are simply wrong. Or don't know the definition of "pretty good"

Did you go to all the ACC home games last year? If not, then what is your basis for judgment? Honest question, because obviously student attendance numbers aren't published and I can't find any pictures online that show the entire student section from last year for the games I listed. I linked the videos because they give a general idea of attendance, but even those don't show the upper level.

I can't believe this conversation is occurring. Nobody can rationally believe the student section last year was anywhere close to the size of the student section in previous years (other than the first two years of the Bzzzz error). The student section has been cut down by administration because of almost no interest from the student body, the school is telling individuals to move to the student section to make it look more full than it is, and Wake hasn't won more than 13 games in three years so it's obvious that students aren't going to be going to the games at Wake.

When Wake got upset by Virginia Tech in 2009 while we were number one in the country, students had to be turned away because the section (including upper deck overflow seating) was completely filled by tip off.

I don't want anyone to forger that this is a program that literally drops free tickets from the ceiling.

Not that new-fangled definition of "literally" either, the real definition.

Did you go to all the ACC home games last year? If not, then what is your basis for judgment? Honest question, because obviously student attendance numbers aren't published and I can't find any pictures online that show the entire student section from last year for the games I listed. I linked the videos because they give a general idea of attendance, but even those don't show the upper level.

I made it to 5 or 6, including Miami and State.

Numbers said pretty much all that needs to be said on the subject.

Of course UNC, Duke, and State are going to draw well- they've got tons of fans in the region and it's a chance for them to get cheap tickets to see their team. But even the crowd for Chris Paul Day was somewhat unimpressive, especially when you consider thousands got in for free. To try and argue student attendance has not taken a serious hit during the [Redacted] years, I don't know how rafi can make that argument with a straight face. But he really seems to believe what he's saying.

Attendance for the UVA and Va Tech games (with videos).

You do realize that the UVA game was during winter break and the VT game during spring break, right? Students were not in school for either game.

By the way, just posting vids of some ACC games. The non-conference attendance has been absolutely laughable, regardless of what the wildly inflated attendance numbers (numbers which I imagine rafi accepts) show.

You do realize that the UVA game was during winter break and the VT game during spring break, right? Students were not in school for either game.

in 2006 the Duke game was over winter break. The student section was still full and students were camping out for 4-5 days beforehand to get good seats. How many students do you think are camping out at the Joel tonight?

Introductions at the UNC-Wake Forest Basketball game; January 11, 2009

But yeah, the student section still rocks like that.
http://www.bobhebertphoto.com/Wake-Forest-Basketball/WFUbasketball2012-13/i-gMLJRZr/0/L/[Redacted]%20Barnyard%20students-L.jpg

in 2006 the Duke game was over winter break. The student section was still full and students were camping out for 4-5 days beforehand to get good seats. How many students do you think are camping out at the Joel tonight?

In 2006 Duke was #1, Wake was #23, and the game was 2 days before school started back. A little different than a bad Wake team against a mediocre UVA team, 7 days before school started back. Not really comparable, in my opinion.

Back