• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Student Thoughts?

In all seriousness, the basketball program was one of the biggest reasons I chose to come to Wake. (I was a high school senior the year we were #1.)

We have a winnable conference home game on Wednesday, and I have no interest in attending.

I think that pretty much says it all.

I agree. Wake offers a pretty unique situation with high major athletics at a small school. That was the draw for me. If we are playing at a DIII level with a high school atmosphere, the attractiveness of Wake in general is significantly reduced. And let's be honest, Wake better offer the whole package to justify a 58K/year price tag.

Who was it on the other board who used to pull out those quotes?

Was it TheFishWhoSavedPittsburgh?

I'd say that there is a general sense of apathy among the students towards basketball. Except for the die hard fans who to go basically every game none of the general students actually go to the games nor do they even consider going. They've just determined that attending basketball games just isn't worth their time.

This makes me sad for current students. Basketball games were some of my favorite memories at Wake. I didn't have Duncan or CP3, but Josh Howard was my year and we definitely had some other talent in those years. The electric atmosphere of a good game is so fun...and it's totally different experiencing it as a student as opposed to an alumni.

Too bad for them.

This makes me sad for current students. Basketball games were some of my favorite memories at Wake. I didn't have Duncan or CP3, but Josh Howard was my year and we definitely had some other talent in those years. The electric atmosphere of a good game is so fun...and it's totally different experiencing it as a student as opposed to an alumni.

Too bad for them.

Best game of our timeframe Kansas freshman year?

In all seriousness, the basketball program was one of the biggest reasons I chose to come to Wake. (I was a high school senior the year we were #1.)

We have a winnable conference home game on Wednesday, and I have no interest in attending.

I agree with that. Coming from Philadelphia, Wake was first put on my radar because of the basketball program. It got me to research more about the school when I started my college search. I remember how excited I was in 04-05 to sleep in my car for nights prior to the Duke/UNC games to get better seats. It is frankly depressing that an entire group of Wake Forest students have no idea what the feels like, since I think that was an integral part of my experience at Wake.

I'm in the same boat. Sports were a huge factor for me and we were #1 in basketball and we had AC and Phonz in football. It is really sad for me to think that the best year of basketball during my college career will be the 2009-10 season where we were decent but not really special. At least we could have a great year in football next year. I don't really want to go to anymore basketball games this year but if I don't go I feel guilty and I feel obligated to go so I go anyways.

A major factor in student interest over the last few years has been a direct result of the efforts to change WFU from an outstanding regional university to a national one. The student body has changed from one which grew up hooked on ACC hoops to one which did not. When many of us were in school, we cherished the opportunity to attend ACC basketball games. It was a big deal, even if the team was not great. Now, absent a winning program, students dont really care about the ACC or our games. The loyalty and passion for the Demon Deacons is directly tied to the won/loss record, much like a professional franchise where winning is the best promotion. For those of you whose response is, "Well, of course it is" ... please recognize that it wasnt always like that.

A major factor in student interest over the last few years has been a direct result of the efforts to change WFU from an outstanding regional university to a national one. The student body has changed from one which grew up hooked on ACC hoops to one which did not. When many of us were in school, we cherished the opportunity to attend ACC basketball games. It was a big deal, even if the team was not great. Now, absent a winning program, students dont really care about the ACC or our games. The loyalty and passion for the Demon Deacons is directly tied to the won/loss record, much like a professional franchise where winning is the best promotion. For those of you whose response is, "Well, of course it is" ... please recognize that it wasnt always like that.
I'd argue that we've been a national university for longer than a few years. This is uncharted territory bad. At the end of Odom's reign there was apathy from the fan base, but nothing like this.

I'm sure there's something to that, but I think you will find that there are passionate fans out there who, prior coming to Wake, never followed Wake basketball or ACC basketball or, in my case, basketball at all. I wouldn't have every gotten interested in college basketball if Wake hadn't been good my freshmen year, but, even though we are now historically bad, I still follow it pretty damn closely.

It would be interesting to survey the students who attend games and figure out how many belong to which classes. I bet there are more seniors than any other class and fewer sophomores than any other class.

Point is that Wake doesn't need to consistently be good to turn students into fans, it just takes one season.

My son, who just graduated and still has close friends there, says the student body apathy is at an all-time low. Let's cut our losses and lets "go in a different direction".

While I was in grad school at Duke, I used to attend 2-3 ACC games a week in Jan/Feb. Now I don't even watch 2-3 a month on TV. It's sad. I watched the 2nd half of BC-VT and it was pathetic.

I only became interested in WF after seeing them on TV for bball, wouldn't have even really given them a second look if I didn't.

Chose Wake over my other schools because I met Skip on my visit to MSD and was blown away by how available and personable he was, I actually had a bad vibe about my visit until I met him. So like others have said, sports definitely play into the general students' decisions on where to go to school.

While I was in grad school at Duke, I used to attend 2-3 ACC games a week in Jan/Feb. Now I don't even watch 2-3 a month on TV. It's sad. I watched the 2nd half of BC-VT and it was pathetic.

How much has the NBA product being better in the past xxx years hurt the college product? Right now there's seemingly a great professional matchup on every night. Would you rather watch UVA vs UNC or see Jeremy Lin vs Ricky Rubio.

I came to wake cause of the free laptops and the MP3s we could download on them and cause it was the last weekend they let Perspectives stay Fri/Saturday night and I got drunker and more ass that weekend than I did Junior year of high school. I felt terrible for the perspectives like Minkus who had to stay Sunday night the year afterwards. Please tell me they've reversed that terrible decision.

I am no longer an undergrad but when I was standing in line to enter the Joel the spot where the students typically line up so the Screamin Demon staff can scan their cards was EMPTY. Literally in the 5-10 minutes I stood in line I saw a single student scan their card and go into the game. Apathy would be putting it nicely. Noone gives a shit about Wake basketball.

I came to wake cause of the free laptops and the MP3s we could download on them and cause it was the last weekend they let Perspectives stay Fri/Saturday night and I got drunker and more ass that weekend than I did Junior year of high school. I felt terrible for the perspectives like Minkus who had to stay Sunday night the year afterwards. Please tell me they've reversed that terrible decision.

Well there are no more overnight visits anymore unless you have some type of scholarship then you have to host a kid who might get that scholarship. I got to stay the night since I knew a kid at Wake. My interview was the Friday after the Wake v Clemson Thursday night game. I convince my dad to fly down so we could go to the game and I could spend the night. That game really hooked me. I knew I wanted to go to Wake since I was applying Early Decision but that game really solidified my decision. I didn't get to go and party but it was still a great visit.

Well there are no more overnight visits anymore unless you have some type of scholarship then you have to host a kid who might get that scholarship. I got to stay the night since I knew a kid at Wake. My interview was the Friday after the Wake v Clemson Thursday night game. I convince my dad to fly down so we could go to the game and I could spend the night. That game really hooked me. I knew I wanted to go to Wake since I was applying Early Decision but that game really solidified my decision. I didn't get to go and party but it was still a great visit.

I found there were a lot less people showing up for the Saturday activities than there were the Friday inaugural activities. So you have the class of 2003 to blame for that. God, no overnight visits at all? That's turrrible.

I'd argue that we've been a national university for longer than a few years. This is uncharted territory bad. At the end of Odom's reign there was apathy from the fan base, but nothing like this.

I don't mean to nitpick but I would describe the end of Odom's reign as frustration not apathy. The fanbase still cared otherwise you wouldn't have seen the month long board meltdown after the Butler debacle. What we're seeing with Bz is something else entirely.

Back