• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Student Thoughts?

Thad Matta basically caused us to hire Skip Prosser from Xavier which caused Xavier to hire Thad Matta. Kind of interesting.

We could have just hired Thad Matta. Oh well.

DCDeac, I could have sworn you were older than me. I'm shocked.

At the time Matta wasn't proven. I just don't think Wellman has the kind of vision to make that kind of hire. This is why, other than Brad Stevens, we reportedly went after retreads only (Alford, Smith, [Redacted]).

Just curious Turner, how many basketball games have you attended this season?
How many games have I attended? One, UNC. I plan on attending both GT and Duke since I'm dropping a class, and because GT is a game we might win. Duke because fuck Duke. How many games I've watched: Every one I can. I hate missing the game. I have only not watched he weekend games, and thats because I literally have no time to do anything on weekends. I participate in extra curricular stuff that doesn't allow me the opportunity, otherwise I would.

I'm also not one of the bitches that leave at halftime. If I go, I stay the entire time. And yes, if you leave at halftime, I think you need to grow some.

Obviously, I'd go to more games if my weekends were available. I'd have gone to more during the week but circumstances kept me from doing so.
Dude, that's exactly what a fair weather fan is. I mean it's okay, no one expects every student to be a die hard.

I disagree. Just because we don't go to the games doesn't mean we're not fans. I'd say it's extremely pessimistic to believe that people who don't attend games don't share their love for the University or have any school pride at all.

How many games have I attended? One, UNC. I plan on attending both GT and Duke since I'm dropping a class, and because GT is a game we might win. Duke because fuck Duke. How many games I've watched: Every one I can. I hate missing the game. I have only not watched he weekend games, and thats because I literally have no time to do anything on weekends. I participate in extra curricular stuff that doesn't allow me the opportunity, otherwise I would.

I'm also not one of the bitches that leave at halftime. If I go, I stay the entire time. And yes, if you leave at halftime, I think you need to grow some.

Obviously, I'd go to more games if my weekends were available. I'd have gone to more during the week but circumstances kept me from doing so.

I think it's funny that you knock the people that leave at halftime when you've only been to 1 game (out of the 6 that weren't on the weekend). Maybe they have "circumstances" that keep them from staying the rest of the game.

You use "we" and "our" in a few of your previous posts. I'm just not sure if you're qualified to speak for the whole student body.

I think it's funny that you knock the people that leave at halftime when you've only been to 1 game (out of the 6 that weren't on the weekend). Maybe they have "circumstances" that keep them from staying the rest of the game.

You use "we" and "our" in a few of your previous posts. I'm just not sure if you're qualified to speak for the whole student body.

I don't mean to speak for them, I can only reflect the opinions of the people around me who I talk to about it.

You obviously don't know anything about me. I've got way too much shit on my plate atm, which is why I'm dropping a class and may have to drop some extracurriculars.

And leaving at halftime: If you're gonna go to the game, stay the entire time. I'm not saying that I'm better than them or anything, but I do think it's stupid to ditch the team you're allegedly "supporting". I will always support and love the Deacs, and you will never see me dipping at halftime at the games I manage to get to, regardless the score.

That being said, don't worry about my attendance. I wish I could have made it to more games. But I have to prioritize.

I disagree. Just because we don't go to the games doesn't mean we're not fans. I'd say it's extremely pessimistic to believe that people who don't attend games don't share their love for the University or have any school pride at all.

I'm not saying any of that. Fair-weather fans are still fans.

I don't mean to speak for them, I can only reflect the opinions of the people around me who I talk to about it.

You obviously don't know anything about me. I've got way too much shit on my plate atm, which is why I'm dropping a class and may have to drop some extracurriculars.

And leaving at halftime: If you're gonna go to the game, stay the entire time. I'm not saying that I'm better than them or anything, but I do think it's stupid to ditch the team you're allegedly "supporting". I will always support and love the Deacs, and you will never see me dipping at halftime at the games I manage to get to, regardless the score

You didn't answer his question.

What if their excessive extracurricular activities require them to leave at halftime?

Glass houses and all that.

And leaving at halftime: If you're gonna go to the game, stay the entire time. I'm not saying that I'm better than them or anything, but I do think it's stupid to ditch the team you're allegedly "supporting". I will always support and love the Deacs, and you will never see me dipping at halftime at the games I manage to get to, regardless the score

You just ditch them by not going at all. Is that right?

Don't give me the "you don't know anything about me." WFI takes up plenty of time. I gave you a free pass for not attending any weekend games. But if you think that supporting a team by watching on TV is the same as supporting them by attending the game in person, you're wrong.

I'm not saying any of that. Fair-weather fans are still fans.
Gotcha, I thought when you said "fair weather fans" you were implying that the fans are only going to remain fans as long as the team is playing well. My bad for assuming.
You didn't answer his question.

What if their excessive extracurricular activities require them to leave at halftime?

Glass houses and all that.
True. It still looks bad IMO, but that's excusable. I think it's fair enough to say that the vast majority of people that go to games don't have to do anything after though. I don't go to games if I can't stay the entire time... In their case, it'd suck if we actually played well and they couldn't stay.

Good grief, I double majored, did tons of extra curricular activities, took heavy course loads etc. and missed one or two home games a year (except when studying abroad). Would I do that with the state the team is in now if were still in undergrad? Probably not because college is too short to waste time with a team losing by 20 points. However, don't tell me the reason you (or any student) isn't going is time. If the team was good like they were when I was in school you, and the others, would be there.

If you're in college and you don't have time to go to a 2-hour basketball game, you're doing it wrong.

You just ditch them by not going at all. Is that right?

Don't give me the "you don't know anything about me." WFI takes up plenty of time. I gave you a free pass for not attending any weekend games. But if you think that supporting a team by watching on TV is the same as supporting them by attending the game in person, you're wrong.

Yeah, indoor does take a shitton of time, both weekend and weekday. I hope you realize that I don't have to write out my personal life on this forum. And I won't. I like the semi-privacy this forum offers.

Wanna say I'm not a fan? Go ahead. Your opinion makes a 0% difference in how I support my school and how I will continue to live here.

Good grief, I double majored, did tons of extra curricular activities, took heavy course loads etc. and missed one or two home games a year (except when studying abroad). Would I do that with the state the team is in now if were still in undergrad? Probably not because college is too short to waste time with a team losing by 20 points. However, don't tell me the reason you (or any student) isn't going is time. If the team was good like they were when I was in school you, and the others, would be there.

This.

Although Turner's post does beg this question. Are student groups scheduling meetings or activities during basketball games? Back when I was at Wake, I was very involved and I don't remember any potential conflicts with basketball games.

Yeah, indoor does take a shitton of time, both weekend and weekday. I hope you realize that I don't have to write out my personal life on this forum. And I won't. I like the semi-privacy this forum offers.

Wanna say I'm not a fan? Go ahead. Your opinion makes a 0% difference in how I support my school and how I will continue to live here.

Let's clear some things up:
1) At no point did I suggest you write out your personal life.
2) At no point did I suggest you weren't a fan.
3) At no point did I suggest that my opinion would influence you in the least.

I'm glad you were able to clear your schedule enough to come to the game that every student cleared their schedule to come to.

I'm glad you were able to clear your schedule enough to come to the game that every student cleared their schedule to come to.

Fuck UNC, I would have killed myself if I had missed that.

This.

Although Turner's post does beg this question. Are student groups scheduling meetings or activities during basketball games? Back when I was at Wake, I was very involved and I don't remember any potential conflicts with basketball games.

I know I said I'm out, but I'll answer this:

If they are, I haven't heard of it.

Last edited:
90% of students don't GAF about basketball games any more than they do about soccer or field hockey. Win and students will show up. Other than the SD req to show up (for free seats to a team they want to see, for entertainment purposes), they don't have an obligation to the fucking basketball team, despite what everyone wants to say.

/thread.

Or maybe I'm just doing it differently.

You'll realize what Say Hey is talking about after you graduate.

Wait till you have a job, family, kids, etc. You'll be kicking yourself for being "too busy" in undergrad.

ETA: I'm not even talking about going to basketball games, either. I dont have a problem with the students at all for not going to watch that crappy product.

Last edited:
You'll realize what Say Hey is talking about a few years after you graduate.

Wait till you have a job, family, kids, etc. You'll be kicking yourself for being "too busy" in undergrad.

not if the product is what we're seeing right now. I'd be kicking myself if I'd been too busy while I was at Wake (02-06)

Back