• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Student Thoughts?

For 90% of students, free time is not an issue for basketball games. Students don't attend because the team sucks ass, and I don't blame them. If our team was even decent we would have hundreds more students in attendance. Anyone who saw us lose to Clemson by 22, or NC State by 40, etc. is crazy as hell to complain about fair weather student attendance. Especially when the rest of the Joel is either empty or wearing Carolina blue.

they don't have an obligation to the fucking basketball team, despite what everyone wants to say.

Dammit I keep getting drawn back to this. The above is true.

No fan has an obligation to show up. Life goes before college basketball guys.

Dammit I keep getting drawn back to this. The above is true.

No fan has an obligation to show up. Life goes before college basketball guys.

Before this turns into a geriatric pity party, these guys are right: You don't have to go to the basketball games. That's your choice.

I can understand not going out of disdain for the debacle that was the Bzz hire (which, interestingly enough, I don't fault Bzzz for. Wake is a great job, and if someone offered it to me, I'd take it to. He didn't hire himself, guys).

I can understand not going b/c you're working while you're in school. Wake is prohibitively expensive so if you're working to attempt to pay for a small fraction of your tuition, good on you.

However, if you're not going b/c you've got too much school work, QUICKLY REASSESS what you're doing with your time. Please, for the sake of your 35 year old self who will have kids, a career, a mortgage, a spouse....It makes my head hurt thinking that you're missing the fun parts of college to do more work. There will be PLENTY of time for that foolishness later, hombre. Carpe Diem.

Before this turns into a geriatric pity party, these guys are right: You don't have to go to the basketball games. That's your choice.

I can understand not going out of disdain for the debacle that was the Bzz hire (which, interestingly enough, I don't fault Bzzz for. Wake is a great job, and if someone offered it to me, I'd take it to. He didn't hire himself, guys).

I can understand not going b/c you're working while you're in school. Wake is prohibitively expensive so if you're working to attempt to pay for a small fraction of your tuition, good on you.

However, if you're not going b/c you've got too much school work, QUICKLY REASSESS what you're doing with your time. Please, for the sake of your 35 year old self who will have kids, a career, a mortgage, a spouse....It makes my head hurt thinking that you're missing the fun parts of college to do more work. There will be PLENTY of time for that foolishness later, hombre. Carpe Diem.
Its not schoolwork at all. People are misinterpreting me: I got shit to do. Not always schoolwork, although it is sometimes. Some days I have schoolwork, sometimes its extracurricular, sometimes I would be visiting my friend who was supposed to transfer to Wilmington this semester.

Someone apparently thinks I'm an "utter loser' for caring for friends, pursuing my interests when I want to, taking care of commitments and studying when I have to. Someone, aka whoever just negrepped me (again) needs to reevaluate their lives.

I'm not going to pursue a shitty basketball team just to call myself a "die hard" Wake fan. I'm not John Walsh, I do not feel obligated to go to every game.

Keep the negrep coming, I love how ignorant some of this feedback is.

Good day gentlemen.

Last edited:
I was watching the Clemson game with a friend of mine who asked, where is the student section? When I pointed it out, he said, "wow, that bad, huh?"

Although, its hard for me to imagine the Joel not rocking with students, I certainly can't blame them for not showing up in force. I have to admit, I probably became more of a "fan" of Wake basketball after I graduated. When I was there, sure I was in to it, we all were, but it was more along the lines of something to do. Alomst everyone went. Hell, it was like an off-campus party. We had talented players and Skip was someone we could rally around. But I was also oblivious to the bigger picture, the history of the program, the rarity of our players' talent and the personality of our coach, and also the magnitude of some of those crushing late season defeats.

Since I graduated, I've become more of a "fan" in the true sense of the word. Now I see every detail from afar with more clarity. In some ways, I care more about the wins and losses now than I did in college. It means more to me now because I can't be there. But that has just been my experience.

Its not schoolwork at all. People are misinterpreting me: I got shit to do. Not always schoolwork, although it is sometimes. Some days I have schoolwork, sometimes its extracurricular, sometimes I would be visiting my friend who was supposed to transfer to Wilmington this semester.

Someone apparently thinks I'm an "utter loser' for caring for friends, pursuing my interests when I want to, taking care of commitments and studying when I have to. Someone, aka whoever just negrepped me (again) needs to reevaluate their lives.

Good day gentlemen.

I'm just going to read this as "I can't bang out hoodrats in the student section".

Thank you to all the students for your candid and intelligent contributions. They raise a question in my mind as to why Wake Forest has a basketball program. It seems to play some role in recruiting students, but a lesser role in maintaining school spirit and a common identity. This is very sad for such a small school.

If basketball is not primarily for the students (and I am assuming not for the Winston Salem community that is not part of the Wake Forest community) then it must be for we alumni. Therefore it is measued by our involvement in the school and by the financial contributions we make. If contributions have maintained steady state or increased since the arrival of Jeff, then there is no reason for the administration to make a change.

The famous and much discussed cultural change may be that basketball just isn't important to the University's culture any more.

My son graduated from a private university (NYU) that is even more expensive that Wake. As late as 1960 they made the Final Four (eerie similarity). Now they are Division III and sports are not part of their college culture.

Back