• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Student work load

Maurice

Reaction score
I kid I know will be a freshman at Wake this fall. He's a bright fellow, but has never really applied himself and hasn't yet found the internal drive to max out his academic potential. I was a bit surprised he was accepted, but that's a different story.

I assume the competition for high grades at MSD is stout. My question is, if he attends class, pays attention and turns in his assignments, what are the chances he can get by until he finds the motivation that will tap the potential I know he has. Asked another way, do the professors at Wake (in general) recognize when they're dealing with a someone who needs a little push, and can deal with that deficit without crushing a fragile ego.

He'll probably suck the first semester, his parents will get upset, and then he'll figure out what he needs to do in order to get by.

I never really felt the competition for high grades against those around me; it was really rare that a professor said "I'm only giving 3 As and the rest of you can sort out the rest" - it was more a matter of how much I felt like doing the best I possibly could to get a really high grade. Generally you can half-ass things and get a B if you're reasonably intelligent. Is it the best way to get the most of your education? No. But it gets the grade and allows you to have a balanced social life, too. ...I wouldn't recommend this strategy if you're interested in med school or law school.

if he goes to class, pays attention, and turns in his assignments then he'll do great if he is bright. if he isn't motivated he'll do like a lot of us and not do those 3 things.

He'll probably suck the first semester, his parents will get upset, and then he'll figure out what he needs to do in order to get by.

I never really felt the competition for high grades against those around me; it was really rare that a professor said "I'm only giving 3 As and the rest of you can sort out the rest" - it was more a matter of how much I felt like doing the best I possibly could to get a really high grade. Generally you can half-ass things and get a B if you're reasonably intelligent. Is it the best way to get the most of your education? No. But it gets the grade and allows you to have a balanced social life, too. ...I wouldn't recommend this strategy if you're interested in med school or law school.

Or not crashing and burning after you hafta stay for a 5th year.

:sick:

yeah, unmotivated people don't attend class and turn in all their homework. That's the problem.

If he's bright enough to get into Wake on merit, if he shows up and does the work he'll do fine.

All professors are different, but unlike high school, it's no longer teachers' job to keep kids focused and interested. You gotta have that drive yourself.

However, I happen to think Wake has a fucking tremendous faculty that keeps kids engaged and wanting to learn.

I kid I know will be a freshman at Wake this fall. He's a bright fellow, but has never really applied himself and hasn't yet found the internal drive to max out his academic potential. I was a bit surprised he was accepted, but that's a different story.

I assume the competition for high grades at MSD is stout. My question is, if he attends class, pays attention and turns in his assignments, what are the chances he can get by until he finds the motivation that will tap the potential I know he has. Asked another way, do the professors at Wake (in general) recognize when they're dealing with a someone who needs a little push, and can deal with that deficit without crushing a fragile ego.

to address this point, maybe they do... but outside of [mayyybe] your freshman advisor or freshman seminar prof, the professor probably won't get involved like that.

Seems like it was much easier to be a smart slack ass when I was growing up.

Does he enjoy writing? And is he a good writer? I remember writing a ton my first semester. Probably ~100 pages.

This kid will be fine. Sometines high schoolers slack off because they can, not because they're unmotivated. Sounds like he just needs a challenging and engaging seminar or two, and he'll wake up.

No professor gave out 3 A's

Paul "Call me 'Dean'" Escott

20060929escott.jpg

This kid kinda sounds like me. I totally, totally sucked my first 3 semesters at Wake. Basically I just wasn't trying that much, beyond not wanting to fail. My light bulb moment came after that third semester. I ran the numbers to figure out what grades I needed my final five semesters in order to graduate with at least a 3.0. It scared me straight. Never got anything less than a B after that.

But yeah, if he's bright the key is really just showing up to class and making an effort to keep up with the assignments. The tough part comes if he's distracted by trying to adjust socially. And finding courses/professors that he will find engaging is key. Nothing worse than slogging through awful courses as a freshman.

Last edited:
That kid was me. I went to an easy high school and half-assed my way through it but got good grades and did all the sports/leadership/charity/extracurricular bullshit that tugs at the heartstrings of admissions counselors. By Christmas of my Sophomore year at Wake I was rocking a 2.1 and looking to transfer to Wofford. I didn't, applied myself, stayed pretty sober 4 nights a week and graduated with a 3.3 so it's doable. Expect a rough first year or so.

Does Wake still have forgiveness grades? I retook a 5 credit D and converted it to a B. Big difference.

Back