• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Student work load

That kid was me. I went to an easy high school and half-assed my way through it but got good grades and did all the sports/leadership/charity/extracurricular bullshit that tugs at the heartstrings of admissions counselors. By Christmas of my Sophomore year at Wake I was rocking a 2.1 and looking to transfer to Wofford. I didn't, applied myself, stayed pretty sober 4 nights a week and graduated with a 3.3 so it's doable. Expect a rough first year or so.

Does Wake still have forgiveness grades? I retook a 5 credit D and converted it to a B. Big difference.

Yeah they still do. C- or lower

My question is, if he attends class, pays attention and turns in his assignments, what are the chances he can get by until he finds the motivation that will tap the potential I know he has.

If he does all those things, he'll be ahead of the game.

haven't read the thread but I came to wake and was clearly outclassed by my peers, mostly due to having gone to a small, crappy public school where I aced everything with little effort. I survived.

haven't read the thread but I came to wake and was clearly outclassed by my peers, mostly due to having gone to a small, crappy public school where I aced everything with little effort. I survived.

Same.

What got me through was figuring out who the easier teachers were in my major and taking their classes. For electives wakeratings helped me in figuring out who the easier teachers were.

Paul "Call me 'Dean'" Escott

20060929escott.jpg

Escott was tough, but awesome. It was also completely possible to make As in his class.

Same.

What got me through was figuring out who the easier teachers were in my major and taking their classes. For electives wakeratings helped me in figuring out who the easier teachers were.

you donks get clearly outclassed on the boards too but we love you

I took Escott for my history seminar. On my thesis (the only grade in the class), he had apparently given me an A initially, but scratched it out and wrote A- next to it. Brutal

ummm why would he need to scratch out an "A" just to write "A-"

wouldn't he just add a minus to the existing A on the final and move on?

Escott was tough, but awesome. It was also completely possible to make As in his class.

I still have the paper on which he wrote: "One of the best papers I have ever seen on this topic: A-"

I have never heard a professor speak kindly of his term as a dean. I know of several that received e-mails from him chastising them for giving out too many A's.

James Hans (English) used to give two grades for each paper. One for the cogency, fluidity, and structure of your arguments, and one for basically how much he liked it.

I got a lot of A+/C grades in that class.

I aced through high school never studying and I had to learn when I got to Wake. I got Bs and Cs that first semester and the next semester my grades perked up when I learned how to take notes and balance beer consumption.

James Hans (English) used to give two grades for each paper. One for the cogency, fluidity, and structure of your arguments, and one for basically how much he liked it.

Holy shit that guy was such a worthless corndogg. After having a strange flashback, I googled him and happened upon his website. Holy shit the drivel he has on there makes RJ sound coherent. Dude would not make it a month with a real job.

That said, I thought he was one of the funniest and best profs I had.

Can we turn this thread into a shitty professor thread? That ought to impress Maurice's little buddy.

I nominate Delmer Hylton, accounting prof. A genuine prick in class who's nickname was "Death". Intermediate Accounting under him was known as Hell I & Hell II. One of his specialties was giving impossible problems for assignments. The first kid he called on for an answer was usually me (he apparently liked alphabetical order). My answer would undoubtedly be wrong - he'd flash his cruel smile and ask if anyone had a different answer. If nobody volunteered a different answer, he'd just go on to the next problem. Never heard him say an encouraging word to any student.

I had Hans this past year because I had a literature requirement I needed to fulfill. Holy shit, what a nut. Probably 20% of the time was spent talking about the books, the other 80% was him complaining about whatever.

Can we turn this thread into a shitty professor thread? That ought to impress Maurice's little buddy.

I nominate Delmer Hylton, accounting prof. A genuine prick in class who's nickname was "Death". Intermediate Accounting under him was known as Hell I & Hell II. One of his specialties was giving impossible problems for assignments. The first kid he called on for an answer was usually me (he apparently liked alphabetical order). My answer would undoubtedly be wrong - he'd flash his cruel smile and ask if anyone had a different answer. If nobody volunteered a different answer, he'd just go on to the next problem. Never heard him say an encouraging word to any student.

I see your "Death" and raise you Jesse Gaylord May, Statistics.

First and foremost, and something for which I'll not forgive him, a 94 was a B. Not an A minus, but a B. That stupid 4 hour B credit was the reason I didn't graduate with honors. (Ok, it wasn't the only reason - but had it at least been even a B+ I'd have gotten honors, it was that close).
The man taught us nothing, was routinely late for class, and constantly contradicted himself in teaching us out to do something. I think my favorite May-day is the day he arrived really late, sat down and stared at us... then posed a problem to the class when he realized we were all staring back at him. We were given time to solve it, then he asked for the answer. A girl answered, and he said "well, I don't know if that's right or not - i ddin't solve it myself." ...and that was that. Class was over. Absurd.
AND A 94 WAS CONSIDERED A B.

I had Hans this past year because I had a literature requirement I needed to fulfill. Holy shit, what a nut. Probably 20% of the time was spent talking about the books, the other 80% was him complaining about whatever.

Let's also not forget that he cultivates the look of a poorer, gayer, less talented andy warhol. A true original!

Back