• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Superbowl sex ring?

palma, TAB, WakeandBake... you guys should seriously do some reading on this subject. Your comments/ideas are misguided and kind of disturbingly glib.

Yeah, just read a study to that effect. Interesting reasons presented for why that's the case...mostly that legalization increases demand substantially, for which the legal industry can't keep up. Definitely doesn't fit into what I would have expected.

A big deterrent to soliciting a prostitute is the illegality. Remove that and demand goes up.

I don't think there are a comparable number of women thinking, "I'd totally be a prostitute if it wasn't illegal." A large proportion of women who would willingly be prostitutes are already doing it.

Yep, even in legal brothels in the US, over 80% of the fee goes to someone other than the prostitute. In a lot of places, even the cab driver who takes someone to the brothel makes more than the girl.

How does that differ from most workers in any sector?

palma, TAB, WakeandBake... you guys should seriously do some reading on this subject. Your comments/ideas are misguided and kind of disturbingly glib.

Sadly, there are men who post here who find rape and manipulation of women to be funny.

What are you talking about? I think I've helped identify a person of interest

one of the scandinavian countries legalized the selling of sex and stiffened the penalties for buying sex or making money off someone else selling sex. i read an article about it a while back, and apparently it has been a huge success.

Legalizing prostitution and drugs doesn't mean everyone who provides prostitutes and drugs would be doing so legally.

Racer and Thunderbolt are on point.

Chances are slim that the hookers actually earned much of anything. The idea that most prostitutes choose to be prostitutes and actually earn much/any money for their work is a myth. It's just not the reality of the industry.

No, they are not. Mere legalization does not equal regulation. It is true that many countries with legalized prostitution have severe human rights problems. There is a video report from VICE this week on prostitution in Bangladesh that will make you sick to your stomach.

The difference in these Asian countries and Europe and Australia is that that the business is not only legalized but taxed and regulated. That framework provides the money for safety and health regulation. No one is saying that it is a great profession or that all of these women make bank, but the reality is that some people are going to do this regardless of legality. So again, dovetailing into my original response, having a taxed and regulated industry doesn't eliminate all problems but it gives workers a safer, legal option. Just like in any profession, no one is guaranteed to get rich though.

Last edited:
Back