• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sutton Sports Performance Center Catches Fire At Wake Forest University

He said he thought it was ok and he learned it wasn’t.

1-2-3! Robert E Lee!
3-2-1! The South shoulda won!

Still sung at parties? Was ten years ago anyway.

KAs at Washington & Lee circa 2000 had a "Robert E Lee Room" where, you guessed it, only certain people were allowed. And I'm not talking fraternity initiates here.

Unrelated and unbecoming the seriousness of this thread but still: why do KAs all do that thing with their hair? All these years later, I still don't get it.

Who said I am downplaying it. The KA's were a deep South fraternity and it was back in the mid-70's at Wake. Most of us from the South still though we were going to win the War between the States, formerly known as the War of Northern Aggression.

Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw on a vehicle recently:
North- 1
South- 0
Halftime Score

I don’t think many (if any) here have called for her firing or completely dismissed it. Most are trying to have dialogue about it.

Townie outright called on her to resign. RJ called for a demotion or suspension, which is pretty unrealistic for someone in her position. It doesn't sound like DF07 will be happy with any outcome that doesn't include somepublic shaming of her.

I thought her apology was fine. It doesn't need to be a 10-page epistle.

Seems like everyone missed that she is leaving the Director of Admissions position in July to become an Senior Assistant Provost and Dean of University Integration, whoch sounds like another bureaucratic bloat position crated for an overpaid 58-year old administrator. If you want to be outraged about something, make it something that's happening today. The school is burning through your donations, wasting returns from the endowment, and constantly raising tuition to pay (overpay) its creaky old overreaching sycophants.

Criticizing the results of her tenure in terms of diversity is silly as all she can do is recruit the best students of color available and try to convince them that WFU is the place for them, in competition with other schools and there no evidence she hasn't done a good job of that.

Weird that you think it’s “unrealistic” to not promote her to the position you criticize.

Weird that you think it’s “unrealistic” to not promote her to the position you criticize.

I think it's unrealistic to expect her to be demoted or suspended from the Dean of Admissions position she currently holds. It's a high profile position and if she's done something bad enough to be disciplined she should be fired. Hatch has determined that is not appropriate.

Regarding the Assistant Provost, I think it's a pretty bad look to promote her the same year she brought bad press to the university, regardless of the timing of the promotion or the believablilty of her apology.

I find it interesting that the same people that preach criminal justice reform, the need to do a better job rehabilitating people over punishment, restore voting rights, etc... also seem to believe that what one does in the past as a young adult reflects who they are today over the actions in their current life, thus arguing people can not change.

I find it interesting that the same people that preach criminal justice reform, the need to do a better job rehabilitating people over punishment, restore voting rights, etc... also seem to believe that what one does in the past as a young adult reflects who they are today over the actions in their current life, thus arguing people can not change.

That’s a stretch. You’re way off. It’s a consistent argument that someone should be punished for their mistakes with the goal of rehabilitation. Once they’ve shown evidence of rehabilitation, they should be able to live their life in peace.

So wouldnt evidence of rehabilitation be her body of work through out her life from after the picture was taken. Are there any recent examples of racism?

Between Wake grads defending the confederate flag on this thread and those on the sports boards advocating for hiring a top 5 worst dukie, truly we are in the age of the deplorables.

These are your posts on this thread:

So how many confederate flags have you posed in front of?

Awful defensive....are there pics of you out there we should know about?

The ones complaining about it being too liberal probably just worried their own confederate flag and/or blackface pics will leak.

Maybe not deplorable, but certainly not anything that contributes anything to the discussion or level of discourse here.

That’s a stretch. You’re way off. It’s a consistent argument that someone should be punished for their mistakes with the goal of rehabilitation. Once they’ve shown evidence of rehabilitation, they should be able to live their life in peace.

Guilty until proven innocent.

If you want to be outraged about something, make it something that's happening today. The school is burning through your donations, wasting returns from the endowment, and constantly raising tuition to pay (overpay) its creaky old overreaching sycophants.

Strange forced binary - certainly there is room for concern about both things.

I teach and coach at a high school where I would estimate that roughly fifteen percent of the student populations wears a confederate flag on their clothing at least once a week. Of course, none of these motherfuckers are ever going to hold public office, or be a dean at a prestigious university.

That's a chilling statement. How do you think Martha Allman should be punished and rehabilitated?

Bob, are you already out of tragic moments in history you can speciously allude to?

not sure the is room for both. when was the last time the YDSA protested about administrative bloat

Not sure. I'm not a member of the YDSA. Is this a serious question or a rhetorical deflection? I can certainly see room for both issues in their platform.

These are your posts on this thread:

Maybe not deplorable, but certainly not anything that contributes anything to the discussion or level of discourse here.

I'm just sick of the flag and anyone who defends it. I frequently drive by a giant one on 40 near Morganton and a neighbor up the hill flies one from his trailer. this shit needs to end.

Back