• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Swapping Tickets @ WF's Joel Coliseum

donaldross

Reaction score
I spent over $3,000 in face value this year on 6 lower bowl season tickets. I have pushed, pulled and begged people to go to the games. My seats have largely been filled.

The other night at the FSU game I stepped out of my car with 2 extra tickets to sell them for $10/each (another huge loss) to get butts in the seats to try and close some these giant gaping holes right next to our court.

An officer approached me and told me that this was private property & that I could not sell--or even give away--my tickets. I politely informed him that it was perfectly legal to sell tickets in North Carolina for up to $3 over face value & at any price on the internet. He told me he didn't care, that this was private property, & I could either pocket my tickets & go inside or I would be arrested. I asked him why he was here if this was private property. He said he was under strict instructions from our Athletic Department to do this.

The seats joined the 1000s others in the lower bowl that remained empty for the game. Why is this good for our team?

Almost everyone in the Joel Coliseum parking lot right now are diehard donors who have no logical reason to be present other than a blind loyalty to our team. So our AD has decided it is a good idea to harass and threaten to arrest our remaining few fans for performing perfectly legal acts designed to help the team? This is what we have come to in our darkest hours.

Disgraceful. Further evidence the AD is waging a war to destroy our basketball program.

Disgraceful. Further evidence the AD is waging a war to destroy our basketball program.

I vacillate between thinking this is a premeditated war on our program as you suggest and simple garden-variety stupidity. either way, it aint good.

Demand a refund from RW. He conned you out of 3 grand.

Wait, so if I hired a police officer and told him to arrest anyone at my house that picked their nose, could I do that? This seems so irrational.

Wait, so if I hired a police officer and told him to arrest anyone at my house that picked their nose, could I do that? This seems so irrational.
You could hire a police officer to stand on your front lawn and tell them all to get off your lawn because it's private property.

I guess I understand the similarity but in this case he was only "trespassing" if he did some arbitrary thing. Again, it just seems so irrational.

No but you can give them a set of rules that people must follow or the cop could remove them from your property.

Related to the OP, I am sure there's some law they could site if they arrested people but I have no clue what authority the cop would have to arrest people on private property while the person is not breaking any laws. Maybe interfering with a police officer or breach of the peace?

Yea, Wake is well within its rights to do what it is doing. My point is that it is just not smart. It may result in a few more sales at the window but at what expense? (1) alienating loyal fans (2) empty lower bowl seats.

Just when you thought the athletic department couldn't embarrass themselves....

Yea, Wake is well within its rights to do what it is doing. My point is that it is just not smart. It may result in a few more sales at the window but at what expense? (1) alienating loyal fans (2) empty lower bowl seats.
I agree, it is ridiculous for WF to be doing this. I remarked to my dad last football season how ridiculous the policy was. My post was just trying to figure out exactly what justification the cop has to threaten to arrest anyone outside of refusal to leave the property once asked to leave.

It's definitely absurd. The AD made and continues to make decisions that have tanked the value of the tickets they have for sale, so, rather than doing something to actually raise the value of said tickets, they just attempt to punish fans who are only willing to pay market value, all while paying cops to be there to enforce their rule. There's almost no way they're making much/any money with this policy. Not only does it alienate fans, but additional empty seats harm recruiting and the school's athletic reputation. Any money they do "make" by a fan deciding to buy at the window rather than for $10 outside is likely balanced out by the fan spending less on concessions, etc once they are in the door anyway. There's a serious amount of dumb in the offices at Deacon Tower.

People who think this is how fans should be treated are not good people.

You realize that's Ron Wellman, the Ron Wellman, that you are talking about here.

Back