• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sweden truck attack

I'm not saying we act immorally all the time, but to say there's a presumption is wrong. We act immorally when it appears that such measures are required. There are people alive today that were in Japanese internment camps. I think there are still some holocaust survivors. I know you probably don't want to go there, but you need to. The Civil Rights Act happened, but I think Louis CK had the joke about how we were 2 80-year-olds away from slavery. Humans are not born with a moral compass that makes us not exploit other humans, think about the industrializing nations of the world. Or, look at Xerxes and Darius, or other Persian leaders if you need more proof. They're not growing John Brown's these days in a test tube.

One of few cases where I'll say we're never getting to that presumption in the next 50 years.

Yeah I was saying "we" in reference to the U.S. in the modern day, but you might be right that the presumption is too strong. That would actually make my point our interests are the only thing motivating us stronger though

Like this is all fine and dandy if we're talking about the way the world should be, but completely irrelevant because we signed on to the UN charter and still remain bound by the UN rules. Funny to see the same people who would be making Scalia-esque textualist and originalist arguments in the domestic law context be happy to throw out binding international law when they think it would lead to their desired result.

Fair point, if you can make the UN exist in the late 1700s, get to me.

Fair point, if you can make the UN exist in the late 1700s, get to me.

Well the people of the late 1700s enacted a document called the Constitution that contains this provision: "This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land;"

The UN Charter is a treaty ratified by the Senate. So I'd think an originalist would say it's the Supreme Law of the Land, right?

Yeah I was saying "we" in reference to the U.S. in the modern day, but you might be right that the presumption is too strong. That would actually make my point our interests are the only thing motivating us stronger though

If you want to agree, let's do it. I believe that we're 2 generations away from tyranny at any point. I think Ben Shapiro said something like his "ancestors are ashes in Europe" for not believing that. I've read a lot about pre-conditions to, and the occurrence of WW2, and it is a real thing. When I examine current politics and Pravda and alt-right material pops in, it's a problem.

Well the people of the late 1700s enacted a document called the Constitution that contains this provision: "This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land;"

The UN Charter is a treaty ratified by the Senate. So I'd think an originalist would say it's the Supreme Law of the Land, right?

You got me, well done. Need to read up, thanks.

Back