• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Taggart just got canned and starts the Coaching Carousel early

If Clawson decides it is time to take the next step in his career he will target universities of his choice. When an opening becomes available, he will then win the interview and be announced shortly thereafter. Recall the impression he made when Wake came calling. He leaves very little to chance. Dave is not an ordinary football coach.

He has unfinished business at Wake Forest. He has family ties to the area. I don't see him leaving yet.

Last edited:
If Clawson decides it is time to take the next step in his career he will target universities of his choice. When an opening becomes available, he will then win the interview and be announced shortly thereafter. Recall the impression he made when Wake came calling. He leaves very little to chance. Dave is not an ordinary football coach.

He has unfinished business at Wake Forest. He has family ties to the area. I don't see he leaving yet.

He said less than a month ago that he was completely committed to Wake Forest. He’s done it multiple times on the David Glenn show. Now, those could just be words, but Clawson isn’t the kind of guy that says something that doesn’t have any meaning behind it. he’s pretty straightforward with stuff like that. Injury reports, not so much.

He said less than a month ago that he was completely committed to Wake Forest. He’s done it multiple times on the David Glenn show. Now, those could just be words, but Clawson isn’t the kind of guy that says something that doesn’t have any meaning behind it. he’s pretty straightforward with stuff like that. Injury reports, not so much.

Agree.
Clawson will continue to be our coach for a while

Honestly Dave would be crazy not to take some interviews when he can. It only makes business sense to explore your options even if you're 99 percent sure you're not going anywhere.

What if we have to give Clawson or his assistants a raise and then we can't afford the Manning buyout ?

Honestly Dave would be crazy not to take some interviews when he can. It only makes business sense to explore your options even if you're 99 percent sure you're not going anywhere.

It is often more than exploring your options - it is leveraging an extension and/or raises for your assistants ...

I would be more worried about Ole Miss than Miss St (f that job were available). Baylor is a non-starter IMO. Biff can gaff all he wants - that is his motis operandi, his raison d'etre (i.e., what he lives for, his one true calling), but this stuff matters to Clawson - food and family.

Anybody ever been to Waco? I'd take a job as the lone human on Mars over Waco (and be forced to grow potatoes in my feces). No fucking way Clawson's family approves that one. Also, anybody listened to a Clawson press conference? I have never ever heard him praise the Lord Jesus as his savior. Nor has he ever given Jesus any credit for a victory. No way to Baylor. Those Baptists are Wake Forest circa 1979.

And Oxford, Mississippi as a destination? Maybe. Starksville, no. Just no. I truly believe him when he talks about quality of life as extremely important to him. Maybe when they are empty nesters he will go all in for a 5-year top 15 program and finish it out, but he isn't there yet. If we can figure out how to put more butts in the seats and recruit more 4-stars and have better depth, he won't need to go anywhere to get that.

They just hired Lane Kiffin in Oxford and Clawson's name never really came up for that one.

I've heard that Miss St has talked to numerous people but hasn't gotten any traction. Sarkisian just seems like a bad idea to me. This is just a huge fuckup by the Miss St AD. Nothing has changed since Thanksgiving, when the regular season ended. Why fire the coach after the bowl game ?

They just hired Lane Kiffin in Oxford and Clawson's name never really came up for that one.

I've heard that Miss St has talked to numerous people but hasn't gotten any traction. Sarkisian just seems like a bad idea to me. This is just a huge fuckup by the Miss St AD. Nothing has changed since Thanksgiving, when the regular season ended. Why fire the coach after the bowl game ?

They will get somebody who wants to be a millionaire and is willing to be fired shortly after that happens.

Why fire the coach after the bowl game ?

Seems like the pre-bowl fight that resulted in QB's injury was a factor, or one of the factors that pushed it over the edge.

FWIW, I haven't been able to confirm Clawson interviewed with Mississippi State. Everything about the fit doesn't mesh with Clawson's ideals. Doesn't mean he didn't take time to hear them out, but I'd doubt if there was really serious interest from either side.

Same guy said Napier is confirmed to Miss. State. Baylor definitely much more worrisome, but see them getting a bigger name after the season they had.

If VT had won their last 2 games (with a reasonable loss to Clemson in the ACCCG in between) there would have been a lot of speculation about Fuente for those jobs. like Buzz Williams, he's a southwestern US guy and likely had good recruiting ties at Memphis to mine for MSU.

Biiiigggg change from back in the day in these two posts.

Used to be football was just a way to spend some late summer/early fall afternoons between the end of summer vacation and the beginning of basketball season.

I’ve always been football first. The hazards of growing up in SC. Still, I recognize that b-ball was our flagship program and wouldn’t have traded that for the good of the school as a whole. Now I really don’t care (even though I watch every game).

Here’s the question. Would people give Muuss a raise if it meant we couldn’t fire Danny?

If VT had won their last 2 games (with a reasonable loss to Clemson in the ACCCG in between) there would have been a lot of speculation about Fuente for those jobs. like Buzz Williams, he's a southwestern US guy and likely had good recruiting ties at Memphis to mine for MSU.

I kinda doubt it. He still has lousy baggage from last off season. Plus his recruiting has been very unVT like.

Rocky Long steps down as San Diego State coach. Former Michigan HC Brady Hoke takes over (Hoke was the DL coach and coached SD State 10 years ago.

Back