• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes Have a New FB Coach

Thad I listed the reasons why at the top of this page.

A home run hire for the UNC program, not a top-tier program. There's a big difference.

4 and done. Prepare to live it Rodney.

4 and done. Prepare to live it Rodney.

They gave Bunting five seasons. I hate UNC more than you love gathering junk but I'm realistic about the middling expectations of Tarheel football.

They gave Bunting five seasons. I hate UNC more than you love gathering junk but I'm realistic about the middling expectations of Tarheel football.

That's right Rodney, I know junk when I see it...and I also know those in the industry who remove all manner of pusilanimous debris...if you know what I mean Rodney.

I have, unfortunately, forgotten more about that situation...as it is they remain under the Curse so it really doesn't matter who they roll in over there. Poor Larry is going to find out first hand the mystery of unc's program: "Why are there no standout QB's produced here?"

But seriously 'hello', I see Fedora as very similar to a guy named Bill Lewis.

Larry took over the strongest program in CUSA and a team with the most talent. USM is consistently atop the the recruiting rankings. Fedora came in on the heels of 14 straight winning seasons under Jeff Bower. He went 22 and 17 and then had a magical 2011.

Bill Lewis took over an ECU program that had gathered an excellent group of players under Ed Emory. Bill parlayed that into a magical 11 and 2 season and thrilling Peach Bowl shootout with NC State. Lewis was subsequently courted by Georgia Tech and arrived in Atlanta to much fanfare.

Kevin Sumerlin at Houston is another coach who greatly benefitted from his predecessor Art Briles (now at Baylor). Art set the table for Kevin and the young coach capitalized. Actually, they both have...but what remains to be seen is if they can set their own table. Carolina has institutional problems and a great big eyeball trained on their every move... It is a program rent in half by competing money factions.They have great challenges ahead of them and I would have been really concerned had the heels signed a couple of 'builders' like Skip Holtz (Connecticut foundation to translate to 1A for which Edsall reaped the credit; revived moribund ECU offense) or Art Briles (rebuilt Houston foundation, transformed Baylor from doormat to Heisman candidate-led juggernaut).

But seriously 'hello', I see Fedora as very similar to a guy named Bill Lewis.

Larry took over the strongest program in CUSA and a team with the most talent. USM is consistently atop the the recruiting rankings. Fedora came in on the heels of 14 straight winning seasons under Jeff Bower. He went 22 and 17 and then had a magical 2011.

Bill Lewis took over an ECU program that had gathered an excellent group of players under Ed Emory. Bill parlayed that into a magical 11 and 2 season and thrilling Peach Bowl shootout with NC State. Lewis then was courted by Georgia Tech and arrived in Atlanta to much fanfare.

Kevin Sumerlin at Houston is another coach who greatly benefitted from his predecessor Art Briles (now at Baylor). Art set the table for Kevin and the young coach capitalized. Actually, they both have...but what remains to be seen is if they can set their own table. Carolina has institutional problems and a great big eyeball trained on their every move... It is a program rent in half by competing money factions...They have great challenges ahead of them and I would have been really concerned had the heels signed a couple of 'builders' like Skip Holtz (Connecticut foundation to translate to 1A for which Edsall reaped the credit; revived moribund ECU offense) or Art Briles (rebuilt Houston foundation, transformed Baylor from doormat to Heisman candidate-led juggernaut).

Do you think they'll get any sanctions? If they do I think that gives him a couple of years of excuses (doesn't mean he'll turn it around or not). If Fedora gets a good DC in Chapel Hill they'll do pretty decent for that program.

Note: I have low expectations for Tar Heel football (and will never be worried about them). It's really hard for a basketball dominant school to build up a football program. Much easier to do it the other way around (Ohio State, Florida).

Last edited:
Do you think they'll get any sanctions? If they do I think that gives him a couple of years of excuses (doesn't mean he'll turn it around or not). If Fedora gets a good DC in Chapel Hill they'll do pretty decent for that program.

Note: I have low expectations for Tar Heel football (and will never be worried about them). It's really hard for a basketball dominant school to build up a football program. Much easier to do it the other way around (Ohio State, Florida).

Knowing what we do now I can't imagine they would skate. OSU had 2 pages of violations that were far less egregious than the 13 pager carolina received.

I'm wondering if the University is making claims to Fedora or is trying to attenuate the possible outcome of the NCAA inquiry...they have downplayed it all along and have lost credibility outside the close-knit baby-blues. Will Larry find himself in the uncomfortable position Al Golden know finds himself?

This is a University that had an agent on the coaching staff and one in a teaching department. A department where, curiously, the student records cannot be found. That is only one of too many violations to recount here...but from an outside perspective it is clearly damning evidence.

On unc, I agree with you...I just enjoy the lively give and take. No harm, no foul and 'hand is part of the ball', eh?

Knowing what we do now I can't imagine they would skate. OSU had 2 pages of violations that were far less egregious than the 13 pager carolina received.

I'm wondering if the University is making claims to Fedora or is trying to attenuate the possible outcome of the NCAA inquiry...they have downplayed it all along and have lost credibility outside the close-knit baby-blues. Will Larry find himself in the uncomfortable position Al Golden know finds himself?

This is a University that had an agent on the coaching staff and one in a teaching department. A department where, curiously, the student records cannot be found. That is only one of too many violations to recount here...but from an outside perspective it is clearly damning evidence.

On unc, I agree with you...I just enjoy the lively give and take. No harm, no foul and 'hand is part of the ball', eh?

Given his lack of loyalty in the past, i'm sure that Fedora is seeing this as a stepping stone job.

if he is successful enough to get a better job after unc, fine by me

if he is successful enough to get a better job after unc, fine by me

He will probably go to a couple of muffler bowls, leverage that for a huge raise from UNC, make an obscene amount of NCAA violations, then bolt for greener pastures.

Something about this sounds familiar.

This is pretty hilarious, I was told that one of the major candidates for the job was Steve Addazzio. Oh, what could have been!

Back