• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes Have a New FB Coach

You could have said the same thing about Oklahoma before Stoops, LSU before Saban, Bama before Saban. They have the facilities, fan base, location and money to be a power. A home run hire will put A&M back at the top.

I think this is right. Great coaches and a financial commitment from their university can build national contenders just about anywhere. Geography is often over-played. Recruits go to sexy programs with charismatic, winning head coaches. It just takes more time in some places than others to get here.

So if Fedora accepts the hole job, do they dump Withers?

Probably. What Urban Meyer did by keeping Luke Fickell was a rare occurrence. I'd want to cut all ties to the Butch Davis era as well.

Reports that A&M has until 8 AM to offer Fedora or he takes the UNC job

That's a bogus story put out there by A&M fans wanting everybody to think Fedora preferred TAMU. Maybe he did... who knows? But that story is bogus.

As reported by WSJ's own Bill Cole:

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2011/dec/06/1/reports-say-fedora-is-headed-to-unc-ar-1685350/

"Larry Fedora, the football coach at Southern Mississippi, has agreed to become UNC's next coach, three sources close to the job search said late Tuesday night."

Probably. What Urban Meyer did by keeping Luke Fickell was a rare occurrence. I'd want to cut all ties to the Butch Davis era as well.

The AD may want to, but the boosters keep inviting him up into the Luxury Suites to hang out at games. I hope his shadow haunts that program for years and years, starting with some major NCAA sanctions. :thumbsup:

The AD may want to, but the boosters keep inviting him up into the Luxury Suites to hang out at games. I hope his shadow haunts that program for years and years, starting with some major NCAA sanctions. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't assume Fedora is squeaky clean. Five star recruits don't usually go to Southern Miss. Seems like a little bit of smoke.

I wouldn't assume Fedora is squeaky clean. Five star recruits don't usually go to Southern Miss. Seems like a little bit of smoke.

I don't assume that at all. I actually assume that the $$ folks over there are still in control and pulling the puppet strings of the AD. Seems very similar to the instant recruiting success that Butch had at UNC, only Fedora was actually able to turn it into wins.

Well, atleast they didn't get Holtz or Malzahn..

So if Fedora accepts the hole job, do they dump Withers?

Most if not all the players who were suspended and/or cited were on the defensive side. Players spend much more time in contact with their position coach and coordinator than the head coach. If Butch should have known what was going on with those players, ditto +1 for Withers. I'm surprised he was named the interim for that reason.

What? UNC football is and always will be second fiddle in their own athletic department. A&M is setting up to be a really good gig. You have the Texas base to recruit from, and now have the South opened up as well. Competition will undoubtedly get tougher, but A&M has the fan base, facilities, and resources to compete.....The right coach could really make some noise there.

There are some coaches who view this as a positive because they're not dealing with ridiculous expectations.

This a fanbase upset they lost a coach who went 4-8, 8-5, 8-5, and 8-5. He also had a 1-2 bowl record, an 0-4 record against a big in-state rival and a combined 3-9 record against UVA, VT and GT. Something similar wouldn't fly in College Station.

Last edited:
There are some coaches who view this as a positive because they're not dealing with ridiculous expectations.

If anything though, we've seen that the football faction at UNC is as diehard and willing to go to extremes to "win" as anyone. Even worse, they're willing to go to extremes to not win. We have seen some highly respected lawyers and others make complete and total fools of themselves trying to defend what went on at UNC to the public, while continuing to invite the man who oversaw all of the mess to their luxury boxes after he was fired. At least boosters at other schools demand some wins for the money they are funneling into the pockets of players and coaches.

If anything though, we've seen that the football faction at UNC is as diehard and willing to go to extremes to "win" as anyone. Even worse, they're willing to go to extremes to not win. We have seen some highly respected lawyers and others make complete and total fools of themselves trying to defend what went on at UNC to the public, while continuing to invite the man who oversaw all of the mess to their luxury boxes after he was fired. At least boosters at other schools demand some wins for the money they are funneling into the pockets of players and coaches.

Excellent point, Racer.

I really thought the AD was going to get Skip in but I guess he had too crappy of a season.

Fedora is a home run hire for that program.

This a fanbase upset they lost a coach who went 4-8, 8-5, 8-5, and 8-5. He also had a 1-2 bowl record, an 0-4 record against a big in-state rival and a combined 3-9 record against UVA, VT and GT. Something similar wouldn't fly in College Station.

Actually, it probably would have. Sherman went 4-8, 6-6, 9-3, 6-6. If he had won 8-9 games this year then he probably would still be their coach. Problem is they regressed despite retaining something like 18 of 22 starters.

That's a bogus story put out there by A&M fans wanting everybody to think Fedora preferred TAMU. Maybe he did... who knows? But that story is bogus.

As reported by WSJ's own Bill Cole:

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2011/dec/06/1/reports-say-fedora-is-headed-to-unc-ar-1685350/

"Larry Fedora, the football coach at Southern Mississippi, has agreed to become UNC's next coach, three sources close to the job search said late Tuesday night."

Yeah, the Winston-Salem Journal is where I always turn for breaking news. They are citing the same UNC sources everyone is that say the job was offered and Fedora is likely to accept. Now I expect Fedora will take the UNC job, but don't act like UNC isn't getting used to try and get a deal from A&M where he really wants to go.

mr_hat_go_to_hell.png

Given that this so-called "Larry Fedora" (still think that's a fake name) is actually from College Station, TX, unless the guy just really doesn't like spending time with his family, all things being equal I would assume he will take the Texas A&M job if it is offered.

I really thought the AD was going to get Skip in but I guess he had too crappy of a season.

Fedora is a home run hire for that program.

Absolutely no way to say that yet. Who knows how he will do at UNC. Tons of guys have failed that were supposedly "homerun" hires. This is a better hire for UNC than Malzhan would have been but he's really only done it one year.

Back