• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tar Holes Have a New FB Coach

Yes, Texas A&M has great talent and good facilities (with plans and support to make them great).

Can't think of a bigger sleeping giant.

I once listened to a UNC fan argue that UNC has a better football program than the University of Texas. It was pretty awesome.

Honestly, I think many of our posters are mistaken about the opportunity at UNC. If you're a bit older, as I am, you will remember when UNC football was at the top level of the ACC consistently for many years under Bill Dooley, Dick Crum, and even Mack Brown.

When you look back over the last 2 decades, what you see is some very strong individual players poorly coached as a team at UNC. The Tarheels have consistently been able to attract top talent to Chapel Hill. That has never changed. The fact that the UNC fan base loves basketball doesn't diminish the desire of the fan base to be strong in football too. Football is "bigtime" in college. While UNC doesn't have the football history that FSU, VT, and Clemson have, they have the same ability to get there imo. For me, the UNC job is "plum" because the opportunity to have quick success is right there. NCAA penalties and sanctions not withstanding, the only obstacles to UNC success in football are VT, GT, Clemson, and FSU.....none of those are Bama, LSU, UGA, Auburn, SC, etc. It can be done at UNC. With the right coach, in 5 yrs.

Yea, don't dwell on the Arkansas reference. You could remove Arkansas and replace them with another school if you'd like. They just strike me as similar programs, although A&M is in a position to rake in top-10 classes every year if they can get a coach that's worth his salt.

Unless Petrino bolts, 9 win seasons will be the norm at Arkansas

Yea, don't dwell on the Arkansas reference. You could remove Arkansas and replace them with another school if you'd like. They just strike me as similar programs, although A&M is in a position to rake in top-10 classes every year if they can get a coach that's worth his salt.

I see what you're saying. Kind of like South Carolina under Spurrier. Good enough to make noise, but never a serious threat.

Disagree a bit with fusiondad in that North Carolina doesn't produce a high number of marquee high school football players. For the players that NC does produce, UNC will always compete with NCSU (which has a more fervent football fanbase), along with Wake and Duke in-state, Tennessee, VT, Clemson and South Carolina next door, as well as the traditional powers which have poached NC players in the past. I just don't see UNC as some sort of "sleeping giant" (that term is used for way too many programs) that would ever be a national factor year in and year out. Hell, when is the last time UNC even won an ACC title in football?

They'll be fine going forward. They're no different than Arkansas, really. They'll be perennially good, but not BCS-bowl great, and there will be years where they have a top 10 team.

If you look at their talent based on recruiting rankings, they'll fit right in. They have the facilities, donors, alumni, and general support of the state to succeed. All they've needed is a good coach, but the past decade has failed them in that regard.

I wasn't trying to imply that A&M would continue to be a 6-6 football team. My impression of A&M fans (I live in south Texas) is that they expect to return to the days of the late 80s and early 90s when they were winning conference championships and having 10-win seasons regularly. They haven't been able to do that in the Big XII, and I don't seen them being able to do it in the SEC. I very much agree with the Arkansas comparison (under Petrino, that is), but I think that's their ceiling. My point was mostly that the coaching position appears more desirable than it really is because of their substantial football history, a history they're unlikely to repeat.

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to imply that A&M would continue to be a 6-6 football team. My impression of A&M fans (I live in south Texas) is that they expect to return to the days of the late 80s and early 90s when they were winning conference championships and having 10-win seasons regularly. They haven't been able to do that in the Big XII, and I don't seen them being able to do it in the SEC. I very much agree with the Arkansas comparison (under Petrion, that is), but I think that's their ceiling. My point was mostly that the coaching position appears more desirable than it really is because of their substantial football history, a history they're unlikely to repeat.

Def agree with this, A&M is that typical fan base that thinks they are much better than they actually are.

IC isn't saying UNC hired a new coach, and the article isn't either. UNC offered Fedora, he may or may not take the job.

IC still reporting Marvin Austin will be available next week? :D

You could have said the same thing about Oklahoma before Stoops, LSU before Saban, Bama before Saban. They have the facilities, fan base, location and money to be a power. A home run hire will put A&M back at the top.

You could have said the same thing about Oklahoma before Stoops, LSU before Saban, Bama before Saban. They have the facilities, fan base, location and money to be a power. A home run hire will put A&M back at the top.

As you might be able to tell, I am a bit of a Aggie fan, but A&M has never been at the top.

Was A&M ever really on top at some point though? The other schools are traditional and national powers.

They won a national title in 1939!

So maybe not back on top, but they do have the foundation to be a perennial power.

Reports that A&M has until 8 AM to offer Fedora or he takes the UNC job

Back