• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me something good about Montreal

You'll only need your passport and maybe the study permit since you will be there for an extended period.. that's it

I know some one at the US embassy in Ottawa, will get back to you tomorrow with that

Last edited:
Yeah, I think you definitely should have all sorts of documentation. A friend of mine who has worked with some bands has some Canadian border horror stories from driving in there with trailers and their gear, getting pulled and held for hours before eventually being denied entrance.

The time I went there my mother and sister drove to meet me (I had flown) with our dog for Christmas, and they were given the once over, too.

But those could just be wild exceptions.

Yeah, I think you definitely should have all sorts of documentation. A friend of mine who has worked with some bands has some Canadian border horror stories from driving in there with trailers and their gear, getting pulled and held for hours before eventually being denied entrance.

The time I went there my mother and sister drove to meet me (I had flown) with our dog for Christmas, and they were given the once over, too.

I rock the serial killer look and never been search.. even drunk.

Must be wild exceptions...:p

You were hauling a bunch of shit in a U-Haul across the border drunk?

My mom and sis got through fine, and it was a cursory search, but my friend's band story was so insane it was probably just a disgruntled angry border mountie.

You were hauling a bunch of shit in a U-Haul across the border drunk?

My mom and sis got through fine, and it was a cursory search, but my friend's band story was so insane it was probably just a disgruntled angry border mountie.

I was not driving but definetely drunk.. when the guy asked us where we were going I could only slutter: '' Exit 68 bro''

Yeah that's the issue. I don't think you could drive across with a uhaul full of furniture without having the study permit (because I'd be there more than 6 months). And obviously if I am bringing a shit ton of furniture I plan to stay there awhile.

I know coming from the US I can obtain a study permit at the border. I just don't know if I could obtain it BEFORE the start date of the program. (i.e. classes start in Sept., could I get the permit in Aug.? - no one I've talked to seems to know..)

Yeah that's the issue. I don't think you could drive across with a uhaul full of furniture without having the study permit (because I'd be there more than 6 months). And obviously if I am bringing a shit ton of furniture I plan to stay there awhile.

I know coming from the US I can obtain a study permit at the border. I just don't know if I could obtain it BEFORE the start date of the program. (i.e. classes start in Sept., could I get the permit in Aug.? - no one I've talked to seems to know..)

There's got to be some office at McGill that can help you with this. I wouldn't leave anything to chance, borders are only getting tighter these days.

There's got to be some office at McGill that can help you with this. I wouldn't leave anything to chance, borders are only getting tighter these days.
Yeah I've definitely been in touch with them. They still haven't gotten back with me yet on this question; I don't know if they are still checking or what.

I'm going to call them tomorrow, but I figured if anyone here knew anything (since this thread has been actually really helpful) I'd throw it out there.

Btw I'm a fan of the tags on this thread

You shouldn't make fun of the fact they use multicolored money like Monopoly or that they call $1 coins loons....

But you should get drunk and walk into a tree around St. Catherine's because majically a beautiful woman will appear to take you home for breakfast.

You shouldn't make fun of the fact they use multicolored money like Monopoly or that they call $1 coins loons....

But you should get drunk and walk into a tree around St. Catherine's because majically a beautiful woman will appear to take you home for breakfast.

Ste-Catherine is full of bum and junkies nowadays, the bums migrate from Toronto and Vancouver over here in the summer because people tip better...

You got to hit Crescent st. during the Grand Prix week, it smells pussy in a 1 mile radius...:h34rt:
As for the tag, my own personal experience.. Ahh ouiiii lol

I love Crescent St. While it's not the best restaurant in the world, I always hit up Weinstein & Gavino's when I'm in town. I was very sad when Pub Claddah (across the St. from W&G) closed maybe 5 years ago.

The only remedy is taking up a winter sport.. I've been snowboarding for the past 20 some years so it got me through winter.. I havent hit the slopes this year because of my new job position, and winter was a pain in the ass

Yeah, that's the Norwegian mentality too. I took up cross country skiing, but I really don't like it that much. It's more like an arranged marriage.

Yeah, that's the Norwegian mentality too. I took up cross country skiing, but I really don't like it that much. It's more like an arranged marriage.

To be honest with you, cross country skiing is boring as fuck....
I would do it only if I have a chance of getting laid on a white bear pelt....

To be honest with you, cross country skiing is boring as fuck....
I would do it only if I have a chance of getting laid on a white bear pelt....
It sounds boring as fuck.

And yeah that's the other thing, never been skiing or snowboarding. That's a whole 'nother fucking story though.

Before moving to Vermont, the furthest north I had ever lived was W-S. I don't think the winters are all that bad. The worst is when you get two feet of snow and your snowblower won't start. Then again, I hated sweating nine months out of the year, so I actually don't miss the weather in the south. Also, poutine is wonderful, just don't eat it more than once per year or so.

And yeah that's the other thing, never been skiing or snowboarding. That's a whole 'nother fucking story though.

C'mon, it's easy and fun!!!!
6gc3zn.png

Before moving to Vermont, the furthest north I had ever lived was W-S. I don't think the winters are all that bad. The worst is when you get two feet of snow and your snowblower won't start. Then again, I hated sweating nine months out of the year, so I actually don't miss the weather in the south. Also, poutine is wonderful, just don't eat it more than once per year or so.

Wow. Different strokes.

I would sweat every day of the year not to have to have any snow. I love hot weather.

DeacinVermont is a GD liar,

The winter are so bad Russians complain, and my family is French-Canadian. No sunlight, no heat.

That being said, McGill is a great school and if you stay in the right areas, the night life is awesome.

So do people get buy on just English or is French really a necessity?

Back