• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tell me something good about Montreal

I hate to be a stickler, but this is from the Wiki article

A considerable number of Quebec residents consider themselves to be bilingual (having a knowledge of French and English). In Quebec, about 40.6 percent (3,017,860) of the population are bilingual; on the island of Montreal, this proportion reaches 60.0 percent (1,020,760). Quebec has the highest proportion of bilinguals of any Canadian province. In contrast, in the rest of Canada, only about 10.2 percent (2,430,990) of the population has a knowledge of both of the country's official languages. Overall, 17.4 percent (5,448,850) of Canadians report being bilingual.[127][128]

Full article is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec

I only bothered to check because my own experiences were dramatically different outside of Montreal and in the city. In the rural areas, it's quite likely you'll meet someone that only speaks French. If you take Montreal out of the Quebec data above, you'll get that about 1/3 of the Quebecers outside of Montreal speak French only.

I'm sure in the day-to-day life of a student, English is sufficient since the people you're likely to interact with would be bilingual (store clerks, waiters, bartenders for example). Once you head out of the city though, it's a different story.

yeah 98 is a little bit too much.. and it is true that in rural regions, older people speak mostly french. but I don't think it will affect you very much

I hate to be a stickler, but this is from the Wiki article

Full article is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec

I only bothered to check because my own experiences were dramatically different outside of Montreal and in the city. In the rural areas, it's quite likely you'll meet someone that only speaks French. If you take Montreal out of the Quebec data above, you'll get that about 1/3 of the Quebecers outside of Montreal speak French only.

I'm sure in the day-to-day life of a student, English is sufficient since the people you're likely to interact with would be bilingual (store clerks, waiters, bartenders for example). Once you head out of the city though, it's a different story.

Get used to seeing hot brunette French-Canadian waitresses greet you, "Bonjour hello".

Here's the kicker: it's law school. (yep, majored in poli sci - how original)

I know I can sit for the NY and MA bar with a McGill law degree, and in some ways it allows for more movement because it would certify me in both common and civil law, but in the end I'm still not sure if I would want to learn Canadian law as opposed to US law.

But looking at how shitty the legal market is in the US now, it may not be that bad a choice practicing in Canada for awhile.

Are those the only two states that accept Canadian law training? If so, why would you want to limit where you can practice in the future? What if 10 years from now it's awesome to be a lawyer in the US and your wife is from Florida and wants to live there? You can't sit for the bar there?? If that's the case I'd think hard about this decision.

Here's the kicker: it's law school. (yep, majored in poli sci - how original)

I know I can sit for the NY and MA bar with a McGill law degree, and in some ways it allows for more movement because it would certify me in both common and civil law, but in the end I'm still not sure if I would want to learn Canadian law as opposed to US law.

But looking at how shitty the legal market is in the US now, it may not be that bad a choice practicing in Canada for awhile.

No chance I'd do it then. My wife has a Norwegian law degree and if she wants to take the bar in the US, it's a huge pain because of how few states she can sit for.

Are those the only two states that accept Canadian law training? If so, why would you want to limit where you can practice in the future? What if 10 years from now it's awesome to be a lawyer in the US and your wife is from Florida and wants to live there? You can't sit for the bar there?? If that's the case I'd think hard about this decision.
Because law school in the US is around 45k a year, and unfortunately due to a freshman year of biology and chemistry (fucking pre-med) I didn't get accepted to t25 schools or receive a ton of scholarship money.

So, with the legal market being complete shit here for lawyers coming out of not elite schools (45,000 new JDs every year), going to law school in Canada for half the price and enjoying great job prospects looked pretty damn good.

But yeah, it would be obviously more restrictive. Def a big decision.

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to break your balls, it's just a decision that has a huge amount of repercussions down the road that you can't really predict. I'm sure you've thought it all out, it's just a touch more complicated than get an MS or PhD

Feel you on the freshman bio and chem thing. Made my trip to med school two years longer :)

I wasn't trying to break your balls, it's just a decision that has a huge amount of repercussions down the road that you can't really predict. I'm sure you've thought it all out, it's just a touch more complicated than get an MS or PhD

Feel you on the freshman bio and chem thing. Made my trip to med school two years longer :)
Haha no worries. It wasn't so much directed at you as it was probably to my parents (they keep feeding me the "don't you want to come back to Texas and live by us" line over and over - it gets old. fast.)

The thing is, I've spent weeks thinking about it, and I'm basically nowhere closer to making a decision. Damn my indecisiveness.

Also, just because you go to law school doesn't mean you have to practice law. It's a pretty transferable degree.

Im in banking and there are a few other fellow JDs in our department. Also, I think quite a few compliance departments within the financial services industry dont necessarily require admittance to a particular state.

Im in banking and there are a few other fellow JDs in our department. Also, I think quite a few compliance departments within the financial services industry dont necessarily require admittance to a particular state.
Yeah banking/consulting I thought might be another option.

I'm about 99% sure I'm headed to McGill; I just hope I don't freeze to death.

Thanks for all the info everyone

A picture is (sometimes) worth 1000 words.

25452723_Jf5S2-M.jpg

Good call.

Since this was brought back from the dead today, I figured I would give an update - decided to go to McGill and Montreal. So if there is ever a Quad trip to Montreal, place to stay.

I'm jealous. If I knew any better, I would have found a way to have more time there as a young single guy. As much as I like Bob's pictures from the F1 and other major events, pictures of random girls just walking on campus and any of the clubs would be plenty hot. Those girls really know how to dress. It's uncanny.

Get used to seeing hot brunette French-Canadian waitresses greet you, "Bonjour hello".

The first time I heard, "Bonjour hi," my head almost exploded. I didn't know what language I was supposed to respond in.

Went up there a couple of years ago with the ex. Staying in a B&B near the Bell Centre and had an awesome time. Ate too much poutine and smoked meat sandwiches, but I don't regret a thing. I'd go back in a heartbeat if it were closer.

We also took the train from NYC. It's a ten hour ride (actually, it's an eight hour ride with two hours sitting at the border) through the Adirondacks, and it is GORGEOUS. Definitely a trip to take if you're not in a hurry.

Back