• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Terrific crowd at the Joel tonight!

I agree. Soccer did it right. Correct size. Perfect location. We chose soccer over basketball. Soccer fans benefited.

How often do we sell out soccer games again?

I agree. Soccer did it right. Correct size. Perfect location. We chose soccer over basketball. Soccer fans benefited.

Spry with a struggling team would be nothing. Spry is great because the team is consistently top 10 in the country.

It also wouldn’t be as good without the hill for students to get rowdy for free. Knock out a wall of the Joel for frat stars to roll in kegs on wagons, and the atmosphere of the Joel would be pretty tight.

It really would be though. Proper sized venues result in demand for tickets. For example, the Richmond ticket tomorrow is worth $6. I offered a friend tickets and he said "No, it will keep being $6, Ill just wait for the Duke game." So then I offered him 2 tickets in Cameron for St. Francis next Tuesday at 9pm. Guess what? He wants those. He knows that's his only chance at freebies in Cameron this year so he is in.

That's typical of sporting venues. If there is demand for tickets because of a lack of supply, you can get games like tomorrow's full.

Sounds like you were trying to offer Wake Forest tickets to a Duke fan (or at least a closet Duke fan). No wonder he didn't accept them but gladly jumped at the Cameron tickets!

I see atleast 2-3k empty seats at the ACC CG. Losers. They need to downsize. If only DR were running the show.

The loudest stadium I've ever been in was Cameron with Pete Gaudet at the helm.

Bull

I've watched 2 first ballot HOFers play in our pathetic home venue. The crowds were a disaster. Thousands of empty seats. (semi) Rich donors sitting on their hands.

I've watched a college basketball game in 146 buildings. The Joel is dead last on my list. I'm arguing with people who have been to 3 or 4.

Mixture of bull and flat out lies. Last out of 146 buildings? You may not care but you are losing all credibility.

Yea, that place was just dead when Jeff Capel hit that shot in February. Get real.

Its not hard to have a great atmosphere if you judge by one of the most iconic shots ever in the building. Were you in the Joel for Childress' six straight 3s? John Buck's dunk? Rusty's dunk? Rodney's 360?

Spry is indeed awesome. But give the soccer program a decade of irrelevance, losing records, a universally hated coach and missed NCAA tourneys and the place would be a ghost town - it would suddenly be way too big.

I've been to more games in Cameron than you have. It is a great place to watch a college basketball game in a lot of ways. But, where you go wrong is that Coach K and his success has made Cameron, not the other way around. Plus, modern building and safety codes and demands for spectator comfort would make it impossible to replicate, even if you wanted to.
It is unrealistic to compare our program and the Joel to the mos successful program of the past 30 years.

Most people here agree with a lot of the points you make - the hyperbole you use is just ridiculous, though.

I think a great example of your point is NCSU - Reynolds vs the PNC. They just spent $35M to renovate Reynolds - it now seats 6000. How crazy would crowds be in there for NCSU V. UNC? How high would the demand go? Why don't they play over there? If I was their new coach I would be pushing for that like crazy - at least for a few games a year.
The PNC, on the other hand, is just one example of a much worse venue for college basketball than the Joel. The fact that you apparently put it over the Joel proves that you are being disingenuous.

Hate PNC as well.

More games in Cameron than me? I know you have been around awhile but in 2017 I have to disagree. I’ve attended more consecutive Duke-UNC games than anyone alive (including Coach K). Process that one.

Hate PNC as well.

More games in Cameron than me? I know you have been around awhile but in 2017 I have to disagree. I’ve attended more consecutive Duke-UNC games than anyone alive (including Coach K). Process that one.

I could be wrong but I went to every home game for many years. I stopped a long time ago and only go to a game there every once in a while now...

I could be wrong but I went to every home game for many years. I stopped a long time ago and only go to a game there every once in a while now...

No one alive now that Bob Harris retired. No one.

Vanderbilt 's gym seats 14,400. In 8 of the last ten years they averaged 20 wins and 13,300 per home game. In the two years they played . 500 ball they averaged 9300 per home game. Wake has averaged right at that number with the product we have produced in an almost identical gym. The evidence would suggest that when Vanderbilt plays winning basketball their gym is right sized and when they suck it's too big. I would posit Vanderbilt may be the closest school to our set of circumstances over time. I would not be adverse to dropping the number of seats at Joel, but no number of seats is going to entice people to purchase tickets or attend games when the product is craptastic. An additional question would be does Duke win games because of Cameron, or because of Coach K. What would be the average attendance at Joel over the last ten years if Coach K had his team's playing in the Joel.

Whatever Wellman and Cat Stevens put out as the attendance number, you should probably divide that in half for actual attendance

Whatever Wellman and Cat Stevens put out as the attendance number, you should probably divide that in half for actual attendance

Every school uses the same attendance data that Wake uses. So all the arguments remain the same even if the numbers are all lower. You can't lay attendance inflation on Wake like we are some outlier when it comes to the data.

Vanderbilt 's gym seats 14,400. In 8 of the last ten years they averaged 20 wins and 13,300 per home game. In the two years they played . 500 ball they averaged 9300 per home game. Wake has averaged right at that number with the product we have produced in an almost identical gym. The evidence would suggest that when Vanderbilt plays winning basketball their gym is right sized and when they suck it's too big. I would posit Vanderbilt may be the closest school to our set of circumstances over time. I would not be adverse to dropping the number of seats at Joel, but no number of seats is going to entice people to purchase tickets or attend games when the product is craptastic. An additional question would be does Duke win games because of Cameron, or because of Coach K. What would be the average attendance at Joel over the last ten years if Coach K had his team's playing in the Joel.

Vandy is a classic example of another loser.

Gonzaga, Nova, Duke. Those are the small private school winners.

Vandy is a classic example of another loser.

Gonzaga, Nova, Duke. Those are the small private school winners.

Nova now plays like all but 2 home games in the Wells Fargo Center, ~20 miles from campus, 35 minute drive, with a seating capacity of 19,500. Good example.

ETA: ACtually the only games they played at Villanova and not Philadelphia were the exhibition game and the Blue White "scrimmage"

Last edited:
Nova plays like all but 2 home games in the Wells Fargo Center, ~20 miles from campus, 35 minute drive, with a seating capacity of 19,500. Good example.

ETA: ACtually the only games they played at Villanova and not Philadelphia were the exhibition game and the Blue White "scrimmage"

Sounds like we need to push for a Greensboro Coliseum upgrade, and start playing there again. Then we can be winners!

Hate PNC as well.

The bottom line is if you need cheat sheets to know when to cheer and whom to boo, you aren't a fan. Dook students are posers.

Gonzaga has the 2nd largest arena in the wcc

Back