• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Terrific crowd at the Joel tonight!

We used to raffle tons of prizes for students that showed up early and stayed. I won six or seven $100 gift cards and a Nintendo wii with guitar hero. I think I won some other stuff too.

It's not blatantly wrong--it's correct. I was saying it was bad at the time. It was 70%-80% full with students off in the corner and old people sitting on their hands in the relevant seats like they do now. Even when we sold out, there were 2-3K empty seats and they were painfully obvious.

Nah. Blatantly wrong.

It's not blatantly wrong--it's correct. I was saying it was bad at the time. It was 70%-80% full with students off in the corner and old people sitting on their hands in the relevant seats like they do now. Even when we sold out, there were 2-3K empty seats and they were painfully obvious.

Then it would make more sense to renovate from 14k to 12k and move the students. Way better than building the nicest JUCO gym around.

This is where you lose people, DR. It is not necessary to denigrate the atmosphere at the Joel during the period when it was actually really good in order to support your argument.

It is also unnecessary to keep saying things like we have been terrible for 70 years, etc. etc. Our program has been up and down. We have had extended periods where 85% or 90% of the programs in the country would have gladly changed places with us. We have won ACC titles, we have been on the national stage. Not often enough and not consistently enough, as we all know, but still. We have not made final fours (though we have had a couple of teams that were capable) and obviously never won a title - we all know that and would love to...

Granted, we all know we have been awful for a while now - but that doesn't mean we have always been terrible and it doesn't help your cause to keep saying it.

This is where you lose people, DR. It is not necessary to denigrate the atmosphere at the Joel during the period when it was actually really good in order to support your argument.

It is also unnecessary to keep saying things like we have been terrible for 70 years, etc. etc. Our program has been up and down. We have had extended periods where 85% or 90% of the programs in the country would have gladly changed places with us. We have won ACC titles, we have been on the national stage. Not often enough and not consistently enough, as we all know, but still. We have not made final fours (though we have had a couple of teams that were capable) and obviously never won a title - we all know that and would love to...

Granted, we all know we have been awful for a while now - but that doesn't mean we have always been terrible and it doesn't help your cause to keep saying it.

As I've already said, Im not really looking to help my cause (i've already lost)--just injure as much as possible at this point. Wake has not been good for going into the 7th decade now. Over the last 53 years, we have appeared in 0 final 4s and only 3 elite 8s. We have appeared in only 2 ACC Championship games over those 53 years. We have only 1 outright ACC regular season title.

We have comparable stats to Clemson when it comes to men's basketball. Let's get real. We are horrific.

Asked this question earlier, didn't see an answer: other schools get students to games by rewarding them in some way (ie preference in registration, housing, etc...). It's effective. Does Wake currently do this? Olds might find this ridiculous, but if everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't we?

Manning organized free pizza outside the Joel for students his first year. I don't think it was well attended, though.

They have given free T-shirts several times to the first 100-200 students. My son went to get a T-shirt one time and 2 girls who just got scanned in got their T-shirts and turned and immediately left the Joel(before the game even started!). Another time there was a T-shirt giveaway for the 1st 200 students and I looked over to see only about 3 T-shirts in the student section. My son later said they were all gone we he came though but there were less than 200 students at the game!

The only one of his roommates that he can get to go to the games consistently is the one from NC who grew up a Wake fan. As many have said, it's going to take a good team to get today's students to show, and even then it'll only be the big games that are well attended.

As I've already said, Im not really looking to help my cause (i've already lost)--just injure as much as possible at this point. Wake has not been good for going into the 7th decade now. Over the last 53 years, we have appeared in 0 final 4s and only 3 elite 8s. We have appeared in only 2 ACC Championship games over those 53 years. We have only 1 outright ACC regular season title.

We have comparable stats to Clemson when it comes to men's basketball. Let's get real. We are horrific.

Please go post on a Duke board.

Statements like the bolded are the ones that have made me think it is not really DB posting as DR anymore - no self-respecting attorney would post such obviously wrong crap on a public board - surely!

Statements like the bolded are the ones that have made me think it is not really DB posting as DR anymore - no self-respecting attorney would post such obviously wrong crap on a public board - surely!

Clemson has 1 less sweet 16s than us since 1980. They also have the same number of outright regular season titles over that time span. Really no one else in the league is as bad as us statistically--even Boston College.

BC has more sweet 16s than us since 1980. They've also actually appeared in an ACC Championship game this Century (unlike us). Clemson is the only other team in the league which can match our horrific past.

Clemson has 1 less sweet 16s than us since 1980. They also have the same number of outright regular season titles over that time span. Really no one else in the league is as bad as us statistically--even Boston College.

BC has more sweet 16s than us since 1980. They've also actually appeared in an ACC Championship game this Century (unlike us). Clemson is the only other team in the league which can match our horrific past.

Your argument would be more compelling if you compared home records of teams over that period of time.

Growing up going to Wake games form like 98 to 05 or so and I agree with TW here, it's just blatantly wrong to say the atmosphere was bad. The atmosphere during those years was fantastic.

I think Skip did a lot for it, particularly starting in his second year maybe once he had a feel for the place. Right when I started at Wake so I didn't go to a lot of games before then but I went vs. MD the year before and it was like a morgue.

We had some great environments in 2009 as well. Nothing cures an atmosphere like winning

Proof that money rarely buys happiness.

Manning organized free pizza outside the Joel for students his first year. I don't think it was well attended, though.

They have given free T-shirts several times to the first 100-200 students. My son went to get a T-shirt one time and 2 girls who just got scanned in got their T-shirts and turned and immediately left the Joel(before the game even started!). Another time there was a T-shirt giveaway for the 1st 200 students and I looked over to see only about 3 T-shirts in the student section. My son later said they were all gone we he came though but there were less than 200 students at the game!

The only one of his roommates that he can get to go to the games consistently is the one from NC who grew up a Wake fan. As many have said, it's going to take a good team to get today's students to show, and even then it'll only be the big games that are well attended.

I probably didn't pose the question very well. An example: a friend's daughter goes to South Carolina and told me that they attend sporting events so that they get points for things like better football seats, early class registration, etc... Not sure if there is an equivalent at Wake, but it's worth investigating. IIRC, at Alabama if you didn't show up, you lost your ticket privileges for everything.

I enjoy how you move back and forth between "7 decades", "50 years", "since 1980", etc. and how you choose how you define what is good or acceptable. You're basically full of crap.

Clemson has never won the ACC tourney (been to the finals twice), has had one ACC POY ever, has never had a 1st team AA, has been to one elite 8 and 3 sweet sixteens.
Wake has won the ACC 4 times (plus 6 other finals appearances), has had 10 ACC POYs, 1 national POY (not sure how many 1st team AAs), has been to 3 elite 8s and 6 sweet sixteens since 1977 (not even counting our '61 and '62 teams).

If you are talking about our history you need to talk about our history - and not pick and choose.

We all know that history, and our reputation, has taken a hit lately. As I said, you don't need to run it down needlessly to make your case.

And why bring BC into it - they have only been a member of the ACC for like a minute and their program has been in the toilet worse than ours lately.

Growing up going to Wake games form like 98 to 05 or so and I agree with TW here, it's just blatantly wrong to say the atmosphere was bad. The atmosphere during those years was fantastic.

The atmosphere was okay when we were good, but not great. There were a lot of empty seats in the upper deck when Va Tech came in and beat the No. 1 ranked team in the country.

The venue was rocking for Duke and UNC.

The atmosphere was okay when we were good, but not great. There were a lot of empty seats in the upper deck when Va Tech came in and beat the No. 1 ranked team in the country.

The venue was rocking for Duke and UNC.

this, let's not pretend that christmas-break game vs NC State every year was a barn burner

Let’s also not pretend that it magically would be in a smaller arena.

It really would be though. Proper sized venues result in demand for tickets. For example, the Richmond ticket tomorrow is worth $6. I offered a friend tickets and he said "No, it will keep being $6, Ill just wait for the Duke game." So then I offered him 2 tickets in Cameron for St. Francis next Tuesday at 9pm. Guess what? He wants those. He knows that's his only chance at freebies in Cameron this year so he is in.

That's typical of sporting venues. If there is demand for tickets because of a lack of supply, you can get games like tomorrow's full.

It really would be though. Proper sized venues result in demand for tickets. For example, the Richmond ticket tomorrow is worth $6. I offered a friend tickets and he said "No, it will keep being $6, Ill just wait for the Duke game." So then I offered him 2 tickets in Cameron for St. Francis next Tuesday at 9pm. Guess what? He wants those. He knows that's his only chance at freebies in Cameron this year so he is in.

That's typical of sporting venues. If there is demand for tickets because of a lack of supply, you can get games like tomorrow's full.

You’re assuming there won’t be season ticket holders though. Also, who sits in the student seats in your small gym? It’s the same problem we have with those December games. Cameron also has the advantage of having the number 1 team in the country playing there which has more to do with the fact that they have a HOF coach than that they play in a shithole crackerjack box.

Back