• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tesla unveils $35K Model III

Deadbolt

Reaction score
Tesla hasn't quite delivered its new Model X SUV yet, but at least we have a name for its first electric vehicle pointed at the mainstream. In an interview with AutoExpress, CEO Elon Musk revealed it will be called the Model 3 (with three bars to represent it), after Ford put the kibosh on calling it the Model E. Musk has repeatedly targeted 2017 as the release window for a smaller $35,000 vehicle. He's said it will be the third generation after the original Roadster and Model S, and in the interview claims it will have a range of over 200 miles per charge, probably using batteries built in Tesla's planned Gigafactory. Musk also told the mag about a range boost upgrade coming for the original Roadster that will give it a modern battery capable of going up to 400 miles on a charge, "which will allow you to drive from LA to San Francisco non-stop."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/15/tesla-model-iii/

Also I love this, dude knows what sells:

“We had the model S for sedan and X for crossover SUV, then a friend asked what we were going to call the third car,” Musk told us. “So I said we had the model S and X, we might as well have the E."

I am seriously considering hanging onto my car in anticipation of this. My CEO has the Model S and it is the sweetest car I've ever been inside, by a large margin. If they can bring 50% of that level of cool to the mass market car it will be impressive. I hope he's serious when he says it will compete performance-wise with the 3 series - the S certainly has legit road performance.

Great price point. This is precisely the kind of commuter car I would be looking for if and when the truck doesn't hold up that long.

Agree on the price point. Don't include shipping and other associated costs though.

Agree on the price point. Don't include shipping and other associated costs though.

I could be arrested if I let you walk out of here without undercoating.

Also I love this, dude knows what sells:

“We had the model S for sedan and X for crossover SUV, then a friend asked what we were going to call the third car,” Musk told us. “So I said we had the model S and X, we might as well have the E."

I did a little reading on Musk. Dude is pretty awesome. He has the opportunity here to change the planet with what he's doing at Tesla.

In the 1940s, Union Oil and Goodyear (I think they were the tire company) got together and bought up the trolley lines in LA, Santa Monica, Pasadena and Long Beach. They then pulled up the tracks and pulled down the electrical lines. In essence they killed public transportation in SoCal to increase their sales.

I wonder what the oil companies will try to do to Mosk. I wonder if one of them my try to buy him out with an insane offer just to kill the product.

In the 1940s, Union Oil and Goodyear (I think they were the tire company) got together and bought up the trolley lines in LA, Santa Monica, Pasadena and Long Beach. They then pulled up the tracks and pulled down the electrical lines. In essence they killed public transportation in SoCal to increase their sales.

I wonder what the oil companies will try to do to Mosk. I wonder if one of them my try to buy him out with an insane offer just to kill the product.

I enjoyed this as portrayed in Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Tesla has been successful, in part, because they don't make ugly cars (unlike other electric cars, such as the one in the movie above). They also got a clue and are moving downward from their initial cost prohibitive model. If they can get a charge to last 400-500 as promised, that could be a tipping point.

His next model will fold up into a briefcase like George Jetson's car did.

V84bjDc.jpg

Any idea what the average person would spend on their power bill charging this thing?

Back