• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tesla unveils $35K Model III

It takes a loonng time. Like at least overnight. Thats one of their biggest challenges.

In fact, their early models for 'filling stations' involve them changing out your batter from underneath with a machine, so you dont charge your battery, you actually get a new one. That works fine until some redneck corndogg in South Carolina starts giving out faulty batteries, which will happen.

There are a few "supercharger" stations around that'll charge it in about 45 minutes.

it doesnt have a cd changer. is it tricking it in to thinking it does have one? i am confused...

yeah, the stock radio still has the port on the back so this thing plugs into it.

Shit is genius, I have one in the camry and my jeep. Youtube has good instruction vids too.

I've got something similar to this in my 2006 Ford, it was really easy to install once I got the stereo out of the console. Like his, mine tricks the stereo into thinking it has a satellite radio connection, when in reality it's just getting a signal from my Aux cable. Works great, and a heluva lot cheaper than $250

There are a few "supercharger" stations around that'll charge it in about 45 minutes.

The dealership where I got my car had those installed in 2013. They are right off the interstate and thought it would be wise for future years.

Some of y'all don't drive at all. I got my car new at the end of August last year. Not even 11 months later I have put 20,000+ miles on it.

The dealership where I got my car had those installed in 2013. They are right off the interstate and thought it would be wise for future years.

Some of y'all don't drive at all. I got my car new at the end of August last year. Not even 11 months later I have put 20,000+ miles on it.

That's what I was thinking. I've driven 95k the last 25 months

My wife drove a 2004 Toyota Avalon with 180k miles, but was in great shape. Just got into an accident and totaled it. New car here we come! Didn't want to buy one for a couple of years.

My wife drove a 2004 Toyota Avalon with 180k miles, but was in great shape. Just got into an accident and totaled it. New car here we come! Didn't want to buy one for a couple of years.

A flat tire would have totaled that car.

A flat tire would have totaled that car.

For the past five years, she commuted 120 miles a day for work. We kept it serviced and had no problems with it. We just moved and her commute is now about 10 miles. Probably not a terrible time for a new car.

Do you commute to California?

I'm on the road constantly with my job and have been relocated 4 times the last 2 years between Charlotte, Roanoke, Raleigh and Greenville, SC. We also have offices running from ATL to Lexington, KY that I frequent so it adds up. It's a company car and all of my gas is paid for so it is what it is. I'm sure I drive a lot more than most people.

I wonder if a third of the country switched over to electric vehicles in the next decade, how much capacity would need to be added to the electrical grid and how would that impact electricity prices?

I also wonder if we had to add significantly to the electrical grid, in what form would it come -- how "clean" would the source be? According to the Tesla site, 39% of electricity comes from coal, 28% natural gas, 19% nuclear, and the remaining 14% hydro/wind/biomass/oil. Obviously coal isn't exactly clean, natural gas has the fracking issues, and it's hard to imagine a lot of new nuclear plants popping up.

I wonder if a third of the country switched over to electric vehicles in the next decade, how much capacity would need to be added to the electrical grid and how would that impact electricity prices?

I also wonder if we had to add significantly to the electrical grid, in what form would it come -- how "clean" would the source be? According to the Tesla site, 39% of electricity comes from coal, 28% natural gas, 19% nuclear, and the remaining 14% hydro/wind/biomass/oil. Obviously coal isn't exactly clean, natural gas has the fracking issues, and it's hard to imagine a lot of new nuclear plants popping up.

Actually in the past year there has been a reemergence in nuclear reactor building. For almost 20 years no new nuclear reactors were built. With reactors aging, some power companies closing, and increased demands to move away from coal powered numerous reactor building permit requests have been filed with the NRC. Duke energy has requested to replace reactors at several of their plants and also wants to build a new plant in South Carolina.

I can for are that in the next decade we will see several reactors built.

I've got a '99 Tahoe with 178K miles on it. But it's paid for so I'm going to keep rocking and rolling.

If I get a year end bonus I may use that for a down payment on something new (to me).

Let us know when they put in a Tesla dealership next to Cookout.

Probably just a oversight on their part, not expecting the demand to sell over 150 in a year. Strangely enough, GA has one of the largest tax credits in the country for electric vehicles. I think that is why people in ATL have jumped on them. You definitely see a seemingly disproportionate number of Teslas here.

Let us know when they put in a Tesla dealership next to Cookout.

Probably just a oversight on their part, not expecting the demand to sell over 150 in a year. Strangely enough, GA has one of the largest tax credits in the country for electric vehicles. I think that is why people in ATL have jumped on them. You definitely see a seemingly disproportionate number of Teslas here.

There's essentially a Nissan Leaf fleet in the Atlanta metro area, with the amount of driving people do and the tax credits its basically a free car to lease.

My 2006 Corolla with 89K got less than half that. Impressive.

I have a 97 Civic I drive back and forth to work with 180k on it. Bought it new after I graduated high school and I just can't see buying anything new since it still runs good. Wife has a 08 Rav 4. Love not having a car payment!

Back