• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tesla unveils $35K Model III

Why would you need to know the residuals for 10+years/200K miles for a three year lease?

The anticipated value and economic lifespan of the car at the end of the lease determines the residual. The residual on a 3-year lease of a vehicle that is going to last 10 years past the end of the lease is going to be a lot higher than the residual on a vehicle that is going to last 4 years past the end of the lease. So therefore the lease payments are going to be lower.

The anticipated value and economic lifespan of the car at the end of the lease determines the residual. The residual on a 3-year lease of a vehicle that is going to last 10 years past the end of the lease is going to be a lot higher than the residual on a vehicle that is going to last 4 years past the end of the lease. So therefore the lease payments are going to be lower.

I see what you mean now...but I don't think that'll be an issue at all. The re-sale on these things is going to be just fine, and the battery tech is only going to improve.

If I were the oil companies, I would get in the battery charger station business STAT.

I see what you mean now...but I don't think that'll be an issue at all. The re-sale on these things is going to be just fine, and the battery tech is only going to improve.

This is true. For a number of reasons, but one is that an electric engine has tons less moving parts that wear out than an internal combustion engine, and the moving parts it does have are subject to much less wear. Tesla is telling people that the engine itself is good for 400,000 miles on the low end. That means higher residual value at the end of a lease. Plus, the key components of the car (battery, touchscreen dash) can potentially be upgraded for years without buying a new car.

This is true. For a number of reasons, but one is that an electric engine has tons less moving parts that wear out than an internal combustion engine, and the moving parts it does have are subject to much less wear. Tesla is telling people that the engine itself is good for 400,000 miles on the low end. That means higher residual value at the end of a lease. Plus, the key components of the car (battery, touchscreen dash) can potentially be upgraded for years without buying a new car.

And THAT would be amazing for the consumer. I know it's better for the car manufacturer to tempt you with new features on the newest model year, but it's incredibly advantageous for the consumer to be able to upgrade their car (much like upgrading their computer) for several years before finally getting a new model. Plus, I would guess selling those upgrades could be advantageous for the Tesla as well. Not ready to buy the new model? Buy an upgrade to your existing model instead!

Owning one of these in the city in decline gives you $12,500 in tax credits, that's $2,500.00 more than those roody-poo candy asses in CA get.

Might have to ditch the Audi for a III when they come out.

wonder wat the amount of time a recharge would take if the system was near empty.

It takes a loonng time. Like at least overnight. Thats one of their biggest challenges.

In fact, their early models for 'filling stations' involve them changing out your batter from underneath with a machine, so you dont charge your battery, you actually get a new one. That works fine until some redneck corndogg in South Carolina starts giving out faulty batteries, which will happen.

And how many people keep their car for over 8 years? I've gotten 8.5 years out of my Corolla and we're buying a new car before it gets to 9.

I'm currently driving a 2000 4Runner with a little over 160k miles on it.

I have averaged about 8-9 years per car. I always say I'll keep it longer when I buy it but a whole new generation of interior options sucks me in. Plus in 5-6 years or so I think gas mileage options are going to be way better.

I have averaged about 8-9 years per car. I always say I'll keep it longer when I buy it but a whole new generation of interior options sucks me in. Plus in 5-6 years or so I think gas mileage options are going to be way better.

My wife and I were having a discussion about this on our drive from the ATL to WS last night. In a few years when it's time for me to get a new vehicle, we are thinking that we will keep our other SUV (Pilot) for long family trips and buy an electric for commuting around town on our day to day business.

That's what I'm hoping to do as my kids get older and car seats go by the wayside.

the interior options are what piss me off the most. i'd kill for an aux in for the radio. i should probs just get a new radio installed but it feels so lame/i'm too lazy. i guess i could just burn some cds like when i was in college.

the interior options are what piss me off the most. i'd kill for an aux in for the radio. i should probs just get a new radio installed but it feels so lame/i'm too lazy. i guess i could just burn some cds like when i was in college.

http://www.amazon.com/Select-Auxillary-Adapter-Integration-Factory/dp/B00EQIK2NW#

We have an 05 Camry with 70k and plan on keeping it forever. This thing plugs into the back of the radio and tricks it into thinking the ipod/iphone is the cd changer. Small hole drilled in that little cubby to keep the wire in.

minimal mechanical skills needed.

it doesnt have a cd changer. is it tricking it in to thinking it does have one? i am confused...

it doesnt have a cd changer. is it tricking it in to thinking it does have one? i am confused...

yeah, the stock radio still has the port on the back so this thing plugs into it.

Shit is genius, I have one in the camry and my jeep. Youtube has good instruction vids too.

Having a USB port that gracefully handles an iPod or Bluetooth that handles an iphone is an awesome feature.

Back