• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Texas will require burial of aborted fetuses

Well, first of all, I'm not sure under what authority you have a property right to display grandmammy's body. Second of all, yes, taxidermy of humans is a public health risk insofar as it undermines the dignity of human life.

this doesn't logically follow

Well, I'd say this argument's run its course.

The government should not be making laws that mandate how people dispose of loved ones or other human remains or aborted/miscarried fetuses except with respect to public health and disease concerns.

I'd be down with mandating that all bodies be disposed of in the most environmentally responsible way possible. I imagine that would be cremation or mass graves.

I also don't understand why most religious people, who are almost uniformly dualists, care what happens to the body once the soul leaves.

Graveyards (cemeteries) are probably a pretty good carbon sink, but they need to be more naturalized -- more trees and less landscaping.

What if we light her corpse on fire and keep the ashes in a little jar above the toilet!

Government: "That's perfectly normal, but common decency says to put grandmammy's ashes in the living room so she can watch her soaps."

All I know is that if BIG GOVERNMENT tells me that I can't have my ashes scattered around the dirt of an arena via the exhaust pipe of Grave Digger because of the sanctity of my life, then I'm gonna go all Milt on Capitol Hill.

Yeah, I don't really care about Christianity's view on what should be done with bodies or whatever, that's not interference I want at all from the government.

If it's a health situation where we need to dispose of bodies for safety purposes then fine, but I don't want to hear a single reason backing up burying fetuses as it ties to religion.

What triggered the need for this law? The SCOTUS ruling on abortion clinics?

have you considered that perhaps we're already too concerned about the 'dignity of life'? have you ever planned and paid for a funeral?

Arguments regarding the dignity of life are not necessarily religious arguments. Many religious people make them, but their validity can be judged without resort to religious ideology.

We are talking about the dignity of death here. Discussions about disposal of a corpse relating to dignity of life can only be had in religious contexts.

I hate to break it to you, but Christianity is not dualist. The apostles' creed says "I believe in ... the resurrection of the body." Sure, folk Christianity has an infusion of Plato, but dualism isn't a biblical concept.

Ask most christians if they believe in a soul that exists independent from the body and get back to me.

The story of Jesus implies dualism as his soul was pure from conception while his body was not until resurrection. Hard to imagine how this was so without andualistic explanation.

If we get new bodies in heaven then that requires dualism as well since the soul must transfer from our earthly body to our heavenly body, meaning it must be separate from our body.

Arguments regarding the dignity of life are not necessarily religious arguments. Many religious people make them, but their validity can be judged without resort to religious ideology.

How could a truly religious person argue about the "dignity of life" without falling back on their faith/religion to determine what should happen to a body after death if reaching the afterlife is somehow reliant upon where/how a body is disposed of?

I think we should require all bodies to be buried with a little dirt from the Holy Land, so when the Messiah does finally come for the first time, everyone gets to magically teleport to Jerusalem !

Wasn't he the guy that fought Rocky in Rocky II?

BxbM8Xo.gif

No respect for the sanctity of life.

Back