• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Texting and driving

Earlier this year I was stopped at a light and a guy rolled into my 2002 Sequoia (aka the tank). No damage to my car. Messed up the grill pretty bad on my car. He was very nervous, so I am pretty sure he was texting.

Whenever I see someone texting and driving I lay on the horn and start yelling at them and giving them the finger. Of course, that is probably more distracting to me than if I was texting, but oh well, they started it so I don't care if I hit them.

Whenever I see someone texting and driving I lay on the horn and start yelling at them and giving them the finger. Of course, that is probably more distracting to me than if I was texting, but oh well, they started it so I don't care if I hit them.

#logic

I really don't think we can multi-task at a 100% level. You can dedicate your mind to driving 99%, and texting 1%, but can't do both fully. It likely doesn't take 100% of brain capacity to drive safely (other wise you couldn't have non-driving thoughts or talk to a passenger, etc.), but there's no way to text and drive at a competent level for each. Furthermore, what bothers me about it ([sermon] and this I think is the plague of our culture [/sermon]) is the selfish nature of it. It's people who think that they are so important that they have the right to put the lives of other people at risk to send a 50 character message to a friend about something that really doesn't matter. Smart phones really are destroying our culture- whether it's the dinner table, the art of conversation, or driving, there is a lot of negatives to what otherwise is a very helpful/cool technology.

I really don't think we can multi-task at a 100% level. You can dedicate your mind to driving 99%, and texting 1%, but can't do both fully. It likely doesn't take 100% of brain capacity to drive safely (other wise you couldn't have non-driving thoughts or talk to a passenger, etc.), but there's no way to text and drive at a competent level for each. Furthermore, what bothers me about it ([sermon] and this I think is the plague of our culture [/sermon]) is the selfish nature of it. It's people who think that they are so important that they have the right to put the lives of other people at risk to send a 50 character message to a friend about something that really doesn't matter. Smart phones really are destroying our culture- whether it's the dinner table, the art of conversation, or driving, there is a lot of negatives to what otherwise is a very helpful/cool technology.

I recently read a study claiming that multi-tasking is a myth. Your brain can only function on one task that requires focus at a time. It can still do things that are so ingrained to already be automatic, but you can only focus on one thing at a time. So if the task of driving becomes something other than automatic (or what our brain is used to) the focus isn't available because it's directed elsewhere.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's people being selfish and putting other people at risk, they actually don't think they are putting other people at risk. They have confidence in their own abilities and don't consider what they're doing to be dangerous, regardless of what common sense and studies show.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's people being selfish and putting other people at risk, they actually don't think they are putting other people at risk. They have confidence in their own abilities and don't consider what they're doing to be dangerous, regardless of what common sense and studies show.

...but isn't that selfish of them? to think they're above all the studies, etc?

I think you can be ignorant of your selfishness (stupid and illogical) and still be selfish.

this could be its own thread, but i agree wholeheartedly.

there's a right way and a wrong way. or maybe i should just say there is a less wrong way and a wrong way.

I recently read a study claiming that multi-tasking is a myth. Your brain can only function on one task that requires focus at a time. It can still do things that are so ingrained to already be automatic, but you can only focus on one thing at a time. So if the task of driving becomes something other than automatic (or what our brain is used to) the focus isn't available because it's directed elsewhere.

Many tasks don't require focus so ability to multitask depends on the tasks.

why hasn't someone invented bluetooth voice activated texting yet?

Back