• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2014 U.S. Senate Race Thread (NC Edition)

jhmd2000

Unacceptably correct
Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...083742-4be3-11e3-9890-a1e0997fb0c0_story.html

A reporter from the Greensboro (N.C.) News & Record asked why Hagan, like President Obama, had told people that if they liked their health plans they’d be able to keep their health plans.

There was a long pause before Hagan responded, then a deep intake of breath. “You know, Doug,” she responded, “the, um” — here she exhaled and paused again — “the way these, the — the regulations and the law, uh” — pause — “came forward recently, I think people were surprised that the, uh, the — the actual original plans would be, um, would be canceled.”

Another North Carolina reporter asked Hagan what she is telling constituents whose premiums have doubled or whose plans have been canceled.

Deep inhalation. “Well, a lot of people, I, I am encouraging everybody to go on the site, uh, uh, I — look through it, find out what the benefits are,” she began. She also said constituents could call her office, “and we will certainly, uh, do what we can to help those individuals and put them in contact, uh, with the right — with the right person, and, and, and help them.”

News reports about the law in Hagan’s home state have been brutal: businesses cutting workers’ hours, 160,000 people receiving cancellation notices, hardly anybody signing up for the health-care exchange.

Last edited:
Still 1000 times better that whatever tea party crazy will take the GOP nomination and Hagan is [Redacted] bad.

Funny how quotes don't include the uhs and ums unless the speaker is a politician being quoted by an opinion writer from the other party.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Funny how quotes don't include the uhs and ums unless the speaker is a politician being quoted by an opinion writer from the other party.

Yup.

It's nice though, because it lets me know immediately that I can write off as a hack any writer who includes those in their quotes.

Yup.

It's nice though, because it lets me know immediately that I can write off as a hack any writer who includes those in their quotes.

I just want to say on behalf of the American right, the brave struggle you guys on the left endure against the headwind of the media that is out to get you is nothing short of a heroic survival story. I get misty just thinking about it.

Did you guys have any thoughts on the part of the quote that wasn't crutch words, or do you wish to turn this thread into a court reporting errata sheet? I'm willing to wager that this time next year Kay Hagan is going to agree that Obamacare turned out to be a jobkiller after all....her own.

Or Josh Howard

I just want to say on behalf of the American right, the brave struggle you guys on the left endure against the headwind of the media that is out to get you is nothing short of a heroic survival story. I get misty just thinking about it.

Did you guys have any thoughts on the part of the quote that wasn't crutch words, or do you wish to turn this thread into a court reporting errata sheet? I'm willing to wager that this time next year Kay Hagan is going to agree that Obamacare turned out to be a jobkiller after all....her own.

The ellipsis is a nice dramatic touch. Reads like a soap opera.

I'm going to say that Hagan is incredibly beatable, but the NC GOP will screw the pooch. Outsiders are weighing in on the primary already pushing Tillis even further right. His record in Raleigh will probably be less popular than Hagan's in DC come November.

The ellipsis is a nice dramatic touch. Reads like a soap opera.

I'm going to say that Hagan is incredibly beatable, but the NC GOP will screw the pooch. Outsiders are weighing in on the primary already pushing Tillis even further right. His record in Raleigh will probably be less popular than Hagan's in DC come November.

Hagan voted for Obamacare. Obamacare made your rates jump or coverage cancelled, despite her co-signing that promise. Please point to something that Tillis did that actually impacts a majority of the electorate's life in a similar fashion (other than cutting their taxes). Go.

Hagan voted for Obamacare. Obamacare made your rates jump or coverage cancelled, despite her co-signing that promise. Please point to something that Tillis did that actually impacts a majority of the electorate's life in a similar fashion (other than cutting their taxes). Go.

A majority of the NC electorate had their rates jump or cancelled? My insurance was unchanged.

It's also the collective of Tillis' association with the NC GA. Guns in parks/bars/playgrounds, teacher compensation, service cuts, potentially raising taxes on museums/HS sports/education savings plans, etc. are pretty damn unpopular. Not to mention that Tillis' career has not been free of scandal.

The GOP has had a lot of chances to run Senate campaigns against Obamacare, and their track record speaks for itself.

Last edited:
A majority of the NC electorate had their rates jump or cancelled? My insurance was unchanged.

This feces storm is just getting started, so it's too early to tell how bad it will ultimately prove to be, but from the article:

News reports about the law in Hagan’s home state have been brutal: businesses cutting workers’ hours, 160,000 people receiving cancellation notices, hardly anybody signing up for the health-care exchange.

This feces storm is just getting started, so it's too early to tell how bad it will ultimately prove to be, but from the article:

Like I said, she is very beatable. However, the reality has never been run candidate X against Obama/Hagan/etc. and their record will cost them the election. Candidate X has to be a winning candidate. I don't think Tillis is a winning candidate. I think he is even less so after Berger toughs him up in the primaries.

Like I said, she is very beatable. However, the reality has never been run candidate X against Obama/Hagan/etc. and their record will cost them the election. Candidate X has to be a winning candidate. I don't think Tillis is a winning candidate. I think he is even less so after Berger toughs him up in the primaries.

You think Berger is going to run? If that's come out, I've missed it.

I also wouldn't give the GOP GA members a lot of credit to be smart and disciplined enough to not drag Tillis through any more legislation that will motivate Dems to actually get out and vote in a midterm and sway independents.

This race will be another example of the GOP running the one candidate you shouldn't against a beatable opponent. People are pissed about Obamacare and Pubs will turn out to vote because of it, but Dems are pissed about the GA's reign of crazy and it's naive to think that Tillis will not turn out a motivate Democratic base against him.

Folks like Ann Coulter are already pushing Tillis further right on immigration. Seems like a good strategy.

Interesting plan to run on something that will very likely be smoothed out in the next 5-6 months, and have insured roughly 800K-1M new people by this time next year. This is poor strategy, IMO. If the elections were next week? Gold! But next year is a long way away, and the Pubs have yet to learn that they are 0-3 at running against Obamacare. I thought it was funny that the called the VA governor's race a referendum on Obamacare, yet they lost the race. Rarely do people argue for some sort of people's will on an issue in a race they lost.

After the last two years, no one should vote for an NC Pub in any contest, even if they are running unopposed.

And there is no imbalance in media bias now that NewsCorp plays in the sandbox. Zero.

Most of what you're describing, at least in the cities, is being attributed to the worst leadership group ever to take over the state house, the Tea Party morons and their puppet McCrory. You might have seen the thread we have on there work this year. They crippled the exchanges, then argued that they're crippled. They blocked federal funding for the poor on HC, then bemoan the lack of coverage and higher costs. It's laughable. The backlash against that reign of error should give Hagan some buttress to her otherwise undistinguished term. It'll be an interesting race, but this state is not looking to further empower the GOP at the moment.

I thought jhmd was disappointed in McCrory and the NC GOP.

Back