• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2014 U.S. Senate Race Thread (NC Edition)

Interesting plan to run on something that will very likely be smoothed out in the next 5-6 months, and have insured roughly 800K-1M new people by this time next year. This is poor strategy, IMO. If the elections were next week? Gold! But next year is a long way away, and the Pubs have yet to learn that they are 0-3 at running against Obamacare. I thought it was funny that the called the VA governor's race a referendum on Obamacare, yet they lost the race. Rarely do people argue for some sort of people's will on an issue in a race they lost.

After the last two years, no one should vote for an NC Pub in any contest, even if they are running unopposed.

And there is no imbalance in media bias now that NewsCorp plays in the sandbox. Zero.

2010 says hello.

But their leaders want them to be. Ideological purity.

In many respects I am, but not all Republicans are alike, Ph.

But their leaders want them to be. Ideological purity, RINOs, and all that.

My post was in response to a post that cited the Virginia governor's race.

Then 63 seats gained in 2010, and 8 seats lost in 2012. Just for a point of clarification, 2012 is a more recent year than 2010 on our calendar. I know that is sometimes confusing, so I wanted to clear that up. As for 2014 (which will be further along the timeline than BOTH 2010 and 2012), I fully expect the GOP to make gains or maintain their control of the House while losing ground or essentially maintaining status quo in the Senate. Statewide races are completely different animals from House races. I know that you know that, but I felt like clarifying it early could bypass some jimmy rustling and get straight to the ball busting.

Then 63 seats gained in 2010, and 8 seats lost in 2012. Just for a point of clarification, 2012 is a more recent year than 2010 on our calendar. I know that is sometimes confusing, so I wanted to clear that up. As for 2014 (which will be further along the timeline than BOTH 2010 and 2012), I fully expect the GOP to make gains or maintain their control of the House while losing ground or essentially maintaining status quo in the Senate. Statewide races are completely different animals from House races. I know that you know that, but I felt like clarifying it early could bypass some jimmy rustling and get straight to the ball busting.

Love it. Nice work. The pos. I can't wait until this weekend. It's only two months away!

Well Tillis and Berger are both complete morons and either one will almost certainly lose to Hagan.

So, the new line is that the insurers are at fault for offering plans that weren't compliant with Obamacare before the law required that all plans be compliant? And, at the same time, Sen. Hagan supports efforts to allow people to stay on those same non compliant plans for another year? It is pretty clear that they are thrashing around wildly in the dark hoping to accidentally bump into something to get them out of this mess if this sort of inanity is the best they can come up with.

I noticed while watching football on Sunday that they are running soft-focus pro-Hagan ads already. My mind immediately went to the "North Carolina's Elizabeth Dole" ads that started popping up when they realized she was in deep shit in '07-'08. Hagan is in the same boat now.

So, the new line is that the insurers are at fault for offering plans that weren't compliant with Obamacare before the law required that all plans be compliant? And, at the same time, Sen. Hagan supports efforts to allow people to stay on those same non compliant plans for another year? It is pretty clear that they are thrashing around wildly in the dark hoping to accidentally bump into something to get them out of this mess if this sort of inanity is the best they can come up with.

I noticed while watching football on Sunday that they are running soft-focus pro-Hagan ads already. My mind immediately went to the "North Carolina's Elizabeth Dole" ads that started popping up when they realized she was in deep shit in '07-'08. Hagan is in the same boat now.

she is vulnerable for sure. we'll see who the pubs put up to replace her. The healthcare law is a huge anchor for her, and if it gets worse/doesn't get better in the next 12 months it might be enough to drag her down. That said, don't forget that her likely opponent is Tom Tillis. He's got plenty of anchors of his own, most of which are discussed in the "NC GOP Debacle" thread. He will attack her on ACA, but she will attack right back with his votes to cut taxes on the richest North Carolinians and out of state corporations, and pay for it with cuts to public education and Medicaid.

It's gonna get nasty and a lot of outside money is going to come into the race.

I also meant to say, aside from the ACA debacle which she voted for, overall she has been a much better senator than the near-carpetbagger, Washington-entrenched non-entity that was Liddy Dole.

:eek:

To whomever said the Tea Party was dead or dying, it's not happening in North Carolina.

When they fumble the 2014 Senate race, I suspect they will find a considerable loss of traction with North Carolina Republicans.

Last edited:
Hagan will be painted as a proxy for Obama, which she is. As much as the Left wants to villainize the Tea Party, the reality of Obamacare will be upsetting hundreds of thousands of NC citizens in a very direct personal way. Obamacare is a policy and execution failure of epic proportions. It is in the early stages of a death spiral.

Last edited:
Hagan will be painted as a proxy for Obama, which she is. As much as the Left wants to villainize the Tea Party, the reality of Obamacare will be upsetting hundreds of thousands of NC citizens in a very direct personal way. Obamacare is a policy and execution failure of epic proportions. It is in the early stages of a death spiral.

I haven't heard anyone disagree with that on this thread. No one is suggesting that Hagan is all that appealing. Tillis just happens to be a lot worse.

Back