• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2014 U.S. Senate Race Thread (NC Edition)

I haven't heard anyone disagree with that on this thread. No one is suggesting that Hagan is all that appealing. Tillis just happens to be a lot worse.

She'll be running against three parts ACA, one part Tillis. When she loses, it will only be because of voter i.d. The dance goes on...

She'll be running against three parts ACA, one part Tillis. When she loses, it will only be because of voter i.d. The dance goes on...

That's what people said about Obama in 2012, but the shitty candidate couldn't beat him.

That dumb mercury poisoning ad ran all weekend during football games. My mom, who is well-informed but certainly not a political fire-breather (registered Democrat, voted Obama in '08 and Romney in '12) piped up after seeing it for about the third time, "who the hell cares about that?"

It is pretty telling that the one thing Hagan has to hang her hat on to try and rescue her falling poll numbers is a vote against mercury pollution (an issue that has been at the top of North Carolina voters' minds for some time now).

It isn't Hagan's ad, but Mark Pryor is essentially begging for forgiveness in Arkansas...

Even Rick Santorum, Pat Robertson, and Mike Huckabee combined couldn't do an ad that would pander more to cultural conservatives than that.

No idea what that has to do with the topic of this thread, given this part:

Sessions’ motion failed on a 46 – 54 party line vote, with North Carolina Sen. Kay Hagan crossing the aisle as the lone Democrat to vote with the Republicans.

You have been paying attention to the waves that Tillis has already caused, right?

yeah, but if he can keep things quiet in the short session Hagan's Obamacare waves are likely to be more recent than Tillis' waves. However, that depends a lot on Berger and McCrory. Berger's kid is running for Coble's district which is fairly Tea Party-ish. Berger may drive some more dumbass legislation in the Senate this year that ends up making Tillis look bad, and McCrory just continues to look stupid (although I think so far, nobody is really associating McCrory with Tillis because McCrory seems to just be an empty suit). Long time left in this race. The GOP may get crazy over the debt limit in the spring again and Obamacare may work out the kinks. By August the whole landscape may have shifted again, just like it has massively shifted since August 2013.

Had a few classes with Berger's daughter and she was nice enough. I think she's at UNC law right now. She's extremely conservative and we got into a couple of heated discussions in class about a variety of issues (gay rights mainly) but all-in-all she seemed intelligent. Makes me wonder how such intelligent people buy into the far right (or left for that matter) but whatever.

Since October the Dems have gone from +8 in the CNN generic ballot poll to -2 a month or so ago to -5 in the latest poll released within the last few days. That obviously doesn't mean a ton given the generic doesn't factor in actual candidates. But it shows just what a negative influence Obamacare is right now.

Back