• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2016 Panthers Thread: Keep Pounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rivera and GMan spoke to the media, they gave every rationalization you'd expect.

Their board was getting picked clean early in the 2nd
They thought all the OTs in the 2nd were reaches
They saw 6 WR needy teams between 40 and 57 so they had to jump
9 players were never making the team so the 5th comp picks let them make this move
The speed component the offense needs is on the team with Ginn, Philly Brown, and maybe Stephen Hill
They had a 1st round grade on Funchess

What I can gather on Funchess is almost identical physical profile and speed as Kelvin, Kelvin is better at contested balls, but Funchess is a more fluid guy making him better for YAC

When Stephen Hill is used as a justification for not filling a need, there is a problem.

I've thought about it and I still don't like it.

When Stephen Hill is used as a justification for not filling a need, there is a problem.

GMan said I think Ginn and Philly can fill our speed component and Rivera butted in with something like don't forget about Stephen Hill.

Funchess seems to have the same strengths for the most part and same knocks as Kelvin, raw routes and iffy ball skills at times, so they think they'll be able to coach him up similarly

Ron Ron brought up Hill apparently, not Gettles (or what Fuck Yo Couch sed)

Last edited:
Rivera and GMan spoke to the media, they gave every rationalization you'd expect.

9 players were never making the team so the 5th comp picks let them make this move
The speed component the offense needs is on the team with Ginn, Philly Brown, and maybe Stephen Hill

What I can gather on Funchess is almost identical physical profile and speed as Kelvin, Kelvin is better at contested balls, but Funchess is a more fluid guy making him better for YAC

Funchess is listed on NFL.com as a TE. So we got a OLB/SS/RB and a WR/TE. Five positions with 2 picks.

The only offensive player taken since we picked was a guard. Fix that crystal ball, GMan.

And yet no WR taken 42-50 so far.

I feel like G-man is either low-key one of the best GMs in the league or a complete moron who lucked into a situation that actually wasn't that bad. Franchise QB with offensive personnel that was hamstrung but can play ball control, which happened to play into having the best linebackers in the league, amazing defensive ends that just needed to be completed in the middle to make a great d-line (and there's a 99% chance any other GM we had or could get also also takes Star. That was a no-brainer), and then a cap situation that was so hamstrung that he can't really do anything to fuck it up, just throw some darts at the wall.

This year even if Big Money decides to show up to start the season, unlike last year, the other side of the rush is a huge question mark. That could spell disaster for a secondary that is god awful to start every season and this upcoming one looks no different with the combination of Harper and 34 year old Tillman being ran past every offense that has any speed (pretty much every team in the league except us). On offense, we have an offensive line that is patchwork and relies on an athletic freak at QB to bail them out. We're seriously relying on a guy who had 14 catches for 190 yards last season, is known for dropping everything and got cut, and whose career year was 36 catches for 500 yards as our only speed on offense. Oh, and an undrafted free agent who was a "pleasant surprise" for 21 catches and 296 yards (sad flashbacks of everyone thinking Gettis was going to save us). We have the most injury prone running back in the league and it looks like he'll only be supplemented by a second day pick which G-man has a terrible record so far with at that position and a guy the fans like mostly because his name is awesome.

But...it could all work out again. Especially in our division. I liked the Shaq pick. Maybe Funchess will be a WR/TE hybrid, and Cam was great with the Olsen and Shockey duo his rookie season. Of course, that season Smitty was still spry and stretching defenses all over the place. Like I said, Gettleman's either a genius or very lucky moron.

I think gman is a retard between February and November every year so far

Could have had Jaelen Strong or T.J. Clemmings and our third rounder instead of Funchess. FML.

Look at all these sucker GMs taking OTs that GMan knows suck ass.

Good thing we gave up our third-rounder to get in ahead of all these WR-hungry teams!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back