• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2019 College Football Thread ! LSU NATIONAL CHAMPIONS ! CLEMSON SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!

Just saw Mark Richt in the Atlanta airport. Asked how he was doing and said I missed him on the ACC show. Also told him I was a Wake guy and like his comments about us. Said he was feeling good and would be returning to the show very soon.

On the pragmatic side, tOSU has royally shit the bed the past couple of years in extra conference games against the B1G West, so why would any conference want to replicate that kind of dumbness when their champion is being rewarded for going 13-0 and winning the conference ?

This is really the issue in a nutshell. The SEC doesn't want to play an extra conference game because it's a lot easier to beat the likes of Western Carolina than it is a conference foe. And since the committee doesn't seem to care, there is no incentive for the SEC to make a change. I think it's chickenshit and I also think it's bad for us as fans who want to see good games (Bama's non-conf schedule was unwatchable) but until the committee punishes it, it's not going to stop.

If Bama loses to LSU, finishes with one loss and gets left out over a 1 loss Oregon or 1 loss Oklahoma, it would be primarily because of Bama's weak ass schedule. They played fewer conference games than Oregon and Oklahoma and had a non-conference slate of 3 patsies and Duke. I'm not sure the committee has the balls to leave Bama out in that scenario, but they absolutely should. It would definitely get some programs to reconsider how they schedule.

This is really the issue in a nutshell. The SEC doesn't want to play an extra conference game because it's a lot easier to beat the likes of Western Carolina than it is a conference foe. And since the committee doesn't seem to care, there is no incentive for the SEC to make a change. I think it's chickenshit and I also think it's bad for us as fans who want to see good games (Bama's non-conf schedule was unwatchable) but until the committee punishes it, it's not going to stop.

If Bama loses to LSU, finishes with one loss and gets left out over a 1 loss Oregon or 1 loss Oklahoma, it would be primarily because of Bama's weak ass schedule. They played fewer conference games than Oregon and Oklahoma and had a non-conference slate of 3 patsies and Duke. I'm not sure the committee has the balls to leave Bama out in that scenario, but they absolutely should. It would definitely get some programs to reconsider how they schedule.

In that scenario, I tend to think that Alabama would be left out over conference champs Oregon or Oklahoma and maybe Baylor. Probably one-loss LSU as well. Based on their schedule for this year, they've placed all their eggs in the SEC Championship basket.

With only four teams in the playoff and a supposed new emphasis on winning your conference, I don't really fault Alabama for their scheduling, but they've got to live and die with it.

I'd love to see the playoff expanded to 6, 8, 10, or 12 teams, with less emphasis on winning the conference. I like the 6 and 10 team formats because you can punish a team with a questionable resume with an extra game.

If Baylor runs the table, having beaten OU twice, should get a spot over a 0ne loss SEC team. The classic New Years Bowls Orange, Sugar. Rose and Cotton (may substitute Fiesta), could be the first round of a 8 game playoff. The P5 champs would their traditional spots, with 1 G6 champ, plus two other top 10 teams to make it 8. The second round is played Saturday (at noon if NFL playoffs are ongoing) and Monday night. Saturday for EDT teams, Monday for out west. The Natty would be played the following Friday night. It seems that the only complaint would come from a one loss Notre Dame.

Why are you trying to defund the athletics budgets of Western Carolina, UMass, Bethune-Cookman, and New Mexico State ? It's very elitist of you.

Also, SEC and ACC teams play rivalry games that would be adversely impacted by another conference game -- Clemson, South Carolina, Florida, FSU, sometimes Miami, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss plays Memphis, Texas A&M should go back to playing Texas or Oklahoma.

On the pragmatic side, tOSU has royally shit the bed the past couple of years in extra conference games against the B1G West, so why would any conference want to replicate that kind of dumbness when their champion is being rewarded for going 13-0 and winning the conference ?

Series like Georgia-Notre Dame, Clemson-A&M, LSU-Texas are less likiely to get scheduled with a 9-game conference schedule and an OOC rivalry game.

So you're saying, with a 9 game conference schedule, teams would eschew rivalry games or big OCC matchups and play 3 chickenshit opponents with no "marquee" OOC matchups? In the next 7 years, OSU plays either Oregon, ND, Washington, or Texas in a H&H, with 2025 featuring BOTH Washington and Texas. They should have taken care of business and stomped Iowa and Purdue and they would have been in the playoff, not fought to avoid playing them.

It's way more of a bummer than we very rarely get to see Bama vs UGA, Florida vs A&M, Wake vs UNC, etc. more than once every 5-7 years than missing out on the occasional UGA/ND game, if they become too scared to schedule a tougher OOC game than lowly GT. It's also pretty telling that every other conference is in favor of this, other than the chickenshit SEC.

All I know is Georgia owns tOSU all time and will kick their asses again in 2030.

Any other scheduling complaints should go to feedback@sec.org

Wake fans trying to solve the delicate problem of conference teams not playing each other enough is funny. We are one of the few programs actually doing something about it. If Bama and UGA want to play each other more they can just schedule each other.

The ACC should go to nine conference games. Play each division rival yearly. Eliminate the cross division rival game and play three cross division games each year. With one exception, each school would play everyone in the conference over a two year period.

I'd prefer a nine game conference schedule for all Power five schools, with two OOC games against Power five teams and the remaining OOC game against a Group 5 team. Expand the championship to eight teams, five conference champions and tree at large teams.

The ACC should do away with divisions and opt the Pac-12 model where the Cali schools all play each other, with the NC schools here. Extend this further to where everybody plays the same three opponents each year. Play everybody else once every two years.

Eight conference games is fine, kinda weird to me teams can have a home/road imbalance within conference play. Should go to 10 before nine IMO

It wouldn't have to be a home/road imbalance. Just play the 9th team two years in a row home and road or don't worry about it and let it balance out eventually like the 8th team does.

Washington -10 at Oregon State at 10:30 PM EST tonight on FS1 looks like a ratings bonanza.

Some "insiders" saying it's minor and will be 1-2 games. One in particular saying it has to do with money from an agent and will be the full season. I hate the NCAA. The fact OSU self-reported this from 2018 makes me think it's relatively minor.

So tOSU has used an ineligible player in every game this year, including it's takedown of otherwise undefeated Cincinnati. I guess that should put Cincy back in the national championship discussion.

Back