• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2019 College Football Thread ! LSU NATIONAL CHAMPIONS ! CLEMSON SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!

is the Jalen Hurts angle at play at all in favor of OU? a seeming castoff, he brings them to the playoffs while Bama sits at home.

is the Jalen Hurts angle at play at all in favor of OU? a seeming castoff, he brings them to the playoffs while Bama sits at home.

Are you asking if the committee is going with a redemption storyline in selecting the fourth team ?

assume that all the favorites win this weekend by the Vegas spread amount and that there is an eight team playoff.

what you got?

assume that all the favorites win this weekend by the Vegas spread amount and that there is an eight team playoff.

what you got?

tOSU
LSU
Clemson
OU
Utah
Georgia
Florida
Penn State
---------------
Baylor
Auburn
Alabama
Wisconsin

I left out Alabama because they don't have Tua. Dropped 3-loss Wisconsin to where they belong.

Would probably try to rearrange the seeding to avoid conference rematches.

So UF and PSU are better off for not making their championship game. Georgia doesn't get penalized for losing in the championship game.

So UF and PSU are better off for not making their championship game. Georgia doesn't get penalized for losing in the championship game.

Georgia and Baylor both dropped two spots in the rankings. Baylor still has zero good wins against an easier schedule. At least Florida beat Auburn.

I obviously think Wisconsin is overrated but comparing them with Penn Sate: They both beat Michigan, Iowa, and MSU. Penn State sorta hung with tOSU whereas Wisconsin lost to them by 31 (and then hypothetically by 16), Wisconsin won at Minnesota and Penn State lost at Minnesota. Wisconsin has the worst loss at Illinois. Similar overall SOS, but Wisconsin's will go up when they lose to tOSU again. Penn State played the toughest OOC opponent between the two, beating Pitt.

Goes to show how expanding the playoff will still lead to an argument about the last team in. Also shows that a G5 team has no business getting an automatic berth to the playoff.

What does your 8 look like Ph ?

Last edited:
I'm of the mind that bad losses are worse than good wins are good, and that margin matters, thus agree with Penn State over Wisconsin and that Baylor is not in consideration

Bama vs. Florida is tougher -- gut says Bama, but that's probably based on overexposure

And that's part of why I was bitching yesterday about the committee dropping Alabama 7 spots for losing a close game to Auburn. Based on that, if Clemson were to lose to Virginia on Saturday (I know it's not going to happen), they should drop to #15.

My 8-team playoff is the 5 P5 champs, highest ranked Go5 champ, 2 at large. Played at the stadiums of the top 4 seeds. And I'll make up a rule that all 6 conference champs have to be the top 6 seeds so that the Go5 champ doesn't always get stuck playing the top overall seed.

8 Penn State at 1 LSU
7 Georgia at 2 Ohio State
6 Memphis at 3 Clemson
5 Utah at 4 Oklahoma

Georgia's wins over Florida, Auburn, and Notre Dame, and Penn State's wins over Michigan and Iowa are the best among the at-large contenders.

And that's part of why I was bitching yesterday about the committee dropping Alabama 7 spots for losing a close game to Auburn. Based on that, if Clemson were to lose to Virginia on Saturday (I know it's not going to happen), they should drop to #15.

I get the UGA angle from you, but don't get the Bama angle.

They always get the benefit of the doubt. For once, after playing the lamest possible OOC schedule and having no wins against ranked teams (best win was over 7-5 A&M) and having lost their best player, Bama deserves to get dropped. Also, now that they are out of the playoffs, Bama will have ton of players that are headed to the NFL draft skip their bowl game (at Bama, the priorities are: 1) Natty; 2) NFL; 3) Nothing else). So, if Bama was ranked higher and slid into a NY6 bowl, the story would be focused on all of the Bama players sitting, and they would likely get embarrassed like the Utah/Bama 2009 or the 2014 Oklahoma/Bama Sugar Bowl. Truth is that, given the circumstances, Bama is better off playing Minnesota in the Outback Bowl than getting worked by Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.

Last edited:

I'm legit confused by this; you are complaining that the CFP committee ranked them #12, yet you have them #11

I mean being the champion of the ACC doesn't mean shit. Their starters are done halfway through the third quarter every week, having barely broken a sweat on the way to a 52-3 victory over the second best team in their division while Georgia, LSU, Florida, and Auburn are slugging it out for four quarters with each other. Clemson ran up bigger scores against the Atlantic Division than it did against its entire out of conference schedule, including UNC-Charlotte and Wofford.

How much 4th quarter time did Tua log in 2018?

I get the UGA angle from you, but don't get the Bama angle.

They always get the benefit of the doubt. For once, after playing the lamest possible OOC schedule and having no wins against ranked teams (best win was over 7-5 A&M) and having lost their best player, Bama deserves to get dropped. Also, now that they are out of the playoffs, Bama will have ton of players that are headed to the NFL draft skip their bowl game (at Bama, the priorities are: 1) Natty; 2) NFL; 3) Nothing else). So, if Bama was ranked higher and slid into a NY6 bowl, the story would be focused on all of the Bama players sitting, and they would likely get embarrassed like the Utah/Bama 2009 or the 2014 Oklahoma/Bama Sugar Bowl. Truth is that, given the circumstances, Bama is better off playing Minnesota in the Outback Bowl than getting worked by Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.

I'm legit confused by this; you are complaining that the CFP committee ranked them #12, yet you have them #11

I'm complaining that the same team thay saw as #5, without Tua, loses a close game against a highly ranked team and drops like a rock. I feel like they're lazily correcting mistakes and setting up narratives. If you're that good at applying the eye test to Utah and Clemson, then apply it to Alabama with Mac Jones against Arkansas.

They've watched Bylor all year, and even though they were undefeated, didn't move them up in the rankings till they were playing OU for the Big 12 Championship. Since they lost to OU and were ranked #14, one slot ahead of Auburn, the've gotten by Texas and blown out KU with a net gain in the CFP poll of 7 slots, jumping Florida and Wisconsin for no apparent reason. Auburn beats Samford and Alabama and only moves up four slots to #11. So they're either admitting they were wrong all season on Baylor and they're moving them up now, or they're full of shit. But either way, they're poised to make the playoff if they beat OU and Georgia and Utah lose to really good football teams. If they thought Baylor was all that good, they should have moved them up when they lost to OU, not when they blew out fucking Kansas.

Last edited:
the interim CFP rankings have always been spectacularly inconsistent

Fair enough. But you're not going to convince me that Baylor is better than Alabama because they've only lost one game and Alabama's lost two.

I think you are overrating Auburn. Severely.

Maybe so, but I'm just using Auburn and Alabama for comparison with Baylor, whom I think the committee is probably overvaluing. Either that or the committee undervalued them for weeks and just recently saw the light.

Back