• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2019 College Football Thread ! LSU NATIONAL CHAMPIONS ! CLEMSON SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!

Everybody knows I’m an OU homer, but even I don’t really care if Utah goes ahead of them. Either will just be cannon fodder for Ohio State. If Utah beats Oregon, they can at least claim to have beaten somebody with a winning record so they won’t have that strike against them. Utah’s D is definitely better and more consistent than what OU puts out there. OU’s offense is better, but not anywhere like it has been, even if the numbers say otherwise. Either OSU or Clemson can shut it down well enough because Hurts can’t throw beyond 10 yards with any accuracy and is prone to bad throws under pressure. He is, however, an extremely undervalued runner. Without that ability, he is Blake Bell light.

Baylor beating OU would give them a decent argument, having avenged their only loss, which was an historic comeback to boot. But the OOC schedule was bad and they really didn’t hit their stride until late. The ugly early games work to their detriment.

The 2019 College Football Thread ! Substantive discussion ?

If OU makes the playoffs, it will make Lincoln Riley wait before taking an NFL job.

Biff, I’ve explained my plan several times. I wouldn’t do 8 unless three G6/Independents earned it. You end up getting a P5 team that couldn’t get to the championship or just got beat. This year I’d take the P5 champs and a top 16 Memphis.

The committee's mistake was to undervalue Baylor initially. A two loss team won't make the playoffs if there are four or more 0-1 loss P5 teams. The first poll should reflect that reality and have teams with less than two losses occupy the top of the ranking.

If OU makes the playoffs, it will make Lincoln Riley wait before taking an NFL job.

Biff, I’ve explained my plan several times. I wouldn’t do 8 unless three G6/Independents earned it. You end up getting a P5 team that couldn’t get to the championship or just got beat. This year I’d take the P5 champs and a top 16 Memphis.

I understand your plan and think it's crazy and think Memphis has no business anywhere near a playoff for the national championship. They're about as good as Wake and their best win is by 10 points against a team that lost to tOSU 42-0.

There are also a lot of other people in the world who parrot an 8-team plan where the 5 confrence champion and the highest ranked G5 school makes the playoff ever damn year.

The committee's mistake was to undervalue Baylor initially. A two loss team won't make the playoffs if there are four or more 0-1 loss P5 teams. The first poll should reflect that reality and have teams with less than two losses occupy the top of the ranking.

Exactly. It's the same thing every year. They say they want to reward you for playing a tough schedule, but if you go 4-2 against top-15 teams, they let in 12-1 Clemson who lost to Syracuse, or the Washington Huskies, or Alabama or Ohio State that didn't play in its conference championship.

I understand your plan and think it's crazy and think Memphis has no business anywhere near a playoff for the national championship. They're about as good as Wake and their best win is by 10 points against a team that lost to tOSU 42-0.

There are also a lot of other people in the world who parrot an 8-team plan where the 5 confrence champion and the highest ranked G5 school makes the playoff ever damn year.

A G5 team will never get into the top 4 unless they're undefeated (and maybe not even then), even if they have one loss to a top 10 P5 team, a good G5 team, or a crap SEC team like SC. Put them in the playoff and they have a fair shot at a championship.

Exactly. It's the same thing every year. They say they want to reward you for playing a tough schedule, but if you go 4-2 against top-15 teams, they let in 12-1 Clemson who lost to Syracuse, or the Washington Huskies, or Alabama or Ohio State that didn't play in its conference championship.

Meh. A tough schedule pretty much guarantees you get in at 12-1, but all bets are off at 11-2.

No two-loss team has ever made the playoff, so there really are no bets.

The idea that a team should be ranked because all of their losses were to ranked teams is flawed as well. Unless the team has beaten a ranked team, all the losses prove is that team can't beat a ranked team and haven't earned ranking despite multiple opportunities.

The idea that a team should be ranked because all of their losses were to ranked teams is flawed as well. Unless the team has beaten a ranked team, all the losses prove is that team can't beat a ranked team and haven't earned ranking despite multiple opportunities.
Extremely good point.

Looking at you Notre Dame. Always looking at you.
LOLOLOLOLOLO

Joey Gatewood transferring to Kentucky, will sit next year, barring bizarre waiver. Cam Newton size.

Something tells me Mark Stoops is not going to FSU.

Last edited:
Tonight at 8:00 EST, which is 5:00 on a Friday on the west coast, which is the traditional time for a college football conference championship game, if you don't want anyone to watch it.

Tonight at 8:00 EST, which is 5:00 on a Friday on the west coast, which is the traditional time for a college football conference championship game, if you don't want anyone to watch it.

I actually like it. Nothing else worth watching tonight, so I'll definitely tune in. But I'm on the east coast... Not Pac12 country.

The downside, for Utah, is their performance won't be as fresh in the minds of the committee when they meet on Sunday. Also, OK will know exactly what they need to do in their game (I don't think that will really impact the outcome).

If Utah wins I don't see Baylor getting in, so that could affect the Bears' performance negatively. I'd still give OU a shot if Utah wins.

Strong start by Oregon but seems like they should have more than a 10-0 lead. Utah hasn't been able to do much and Oregon stopped Utah on 4th down, blocked a punt, and picked Utah in the endzone. Feels like Utah will go up 14-10 or 14-13 in the 2nd Q and keep the lead.

Strong start by Oregon but seems like they should have more than a 10-0 lead. Utah hasn't been able to do much and Oregon stopped Utah on 4th down, blocked a punt, and picked Utah in the endzone. Feels like Utah will go up 14-10 or 14-13 in the 2nd Q and keep the lead.

Not so sure. Oregon seems a lot faster and more explosive. Think they’re going to pull away.
If so, the Big 12 winner will go.

You look correct so far.

If Utah wins I don't see Baylor getting in, so that could affect the Bears' performance negatively. I'd still give OU a shot if Utah wins.

Agree, unless we play a full game like we played the first half last time we played OU. I’m definitely pulling for Oregon tonight.

Back