• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

Really enjoyed watching Clemson get curb stomped. Ohio State played at a different level, will probably be tough for them to hit that same gear in 9 days.

The culpability for Notre Dame’s failure in the playoffs belongs to all of college football. Meaning, somebody needs to step up more frequently and beat them in the regular season and just remove the possibility of any meaningful postseason appearance.

The culpability for Notre Dame’s failure in the playoffs belongs to all of college football. Meaning, somebody needs to step up more frequently and beat them in the regular season and just remove the possibility of any meaningful postseason appearance.

They play in the ACC, just like Clemson. ND is playing a handful of ACC teams they should beat by three touchdowns and a cadre of handpicked cupcakes, with no conference championship game. For some reason, that gets you into the playoff. ND shouldn't have gotten in this year for beating Clemson in South Bend without Lawrence and part of the defense after they got annihilated in Charlotte. Period.

Clemson, as currently constructed, is getting into the playoff every year, even if they lose an OOC game to A&M or Georgia because they're going 12-0 the rest of the way and have a conference championship on their resume.

And, BTW, the proposal of expanding to eight teams and inviting all five P5 champions, some shitty G5 team, and two at large teams, will still leave you with Clemson and ND in the playoff. And it would increase ND's chances of making the playoff every year because they could then make it without going undefeated.

The Fields performance was epic. Think Schilling, Willis Reed. I mean, I'd be shocked if he didn't have cracked ribs at the very least. I think they must've shot him full of painkillers in that tent that seemed to come into effect right after he took that sack on the next possession. He will be hurting for at least a few days.

That said, I honestly hate that targeting call. I get it and understand it, but it's really tough to be in that position and stop the first down without making an aggressive tackle. I guess he could have his head up to avoid that, but the rule is so nit-picky about "launching" and other factors that players just naturally do when making a tackle. The rule really needs an overhaul. Too many "football plays" are resulting in players sitting out games. And no, the rule is not to protect tacklers from breaking their necks. You can just as easily break your neck forcing your head up in order to make a tackle. Refocus the rule on head injuries/CTE and intent and whether or not a player could be reasonably expected to make a different type of tackle. It makes no sense to me that in one game, a guy gets tossed for spearing somebody's ribs and in another the guy stays in for tackling a guy's head with his shoulder pads instead of his helmet.

Tom Hermann fired. Didn’t they previously announce he’d be back?

And, BTW, the proposal of expanding to eight teams and inviting all five P5 champions, some shitty G5 team, and two at large teams, will still leave you with Clemson and ND in the playoff. And it would increase ND's chances of making the playoff every year because they could then make it without going undefeated.

What aggravates me about the proposal is a G5 team should not be automatic in an 8 team playoff simply because they're G5. In a year like this one, obviously Cinci would get in, and there are years in the past when a UCF or somebody would, but for the most part, the G5 is not going to get a nibble. Conference champs plus 3 at large teams. You'd think the SEC would want this, as it would get them 4 teams in the playoff most years with all the felating ESPN does. It's high comedy to hear all the Aggie fans moaning about that 4th spot after the ND game, as if they wouldn't have been shellacked by Bama too (since they already were).

ND deserved the 4 spot as much as anybody else and probably more. The problem is that nobody ranked from 4 on up is likely to give Bama much of a game, much less win. It's easy to bitch after the fact, but it's what you do on the field during the season that gets you to the CFP, not what you do in the CFP.

There are years when the PAC 12 doesn’t deserve a bid either.

And who wants to have an annual debate about which G5 team deserves a bid and how unfair it is that they can only get one team in ? Fuck the G5 !

Tom Hermann fired. Didn’t they previously announce he’d be back?

Certainly implied it. I'm not surprised he was fired-- just surprised that it seemed he was safe, and then he gets fired. Sark the rumored replacement.

The Fields performance was epic. Think Schilling, Willis Reed. I mean, I'd be shocked if he didn't have cracked ribs at the very least. I think they must've shot him full of painkillers in that tent that seemed to come into effect right after he took that sack on the next possession. He will be hurting for at least a few days.

That said, I honestly hate that targeting call. I get it and understand it, but it's really tough to be in that position and stop the first down without making an aggressive tackle. I guess he could have his head up to avoid that, but the rule is so nit-picky about "launching" and other factors that players just naturally do when making a tackle. The rule really needs an overhaul. Too many "football plays" are resulting in players sitting out games. And no, the rule is not to protect tacklers from breaking their necks. You can just as easily break your neck forcing your head up in order to make a tackle. Refocus the rule on head injuries/CTE and intent and whether or not a player could be reasonably expected to make a different type of tackle. It makes no sense to me that in one game, a guy gets tossed for spearing somebody's ribs and in another the guy stays in for tackling a guy's head with his shoulder pads instead of his helmet.

Not trying to be a dick, but did you ever play football? You're taught from day 1 of mighty mites to avoid leading with your head on a tackle because 1) it's super dangerous and 2) you're eyes are looking at the ground, not the ball carrier, so you're more likely to miss. Skalski is a dirty player with a history of ejections, who went for a big hit to knock an elite QB out of the game rather than make a textbook tackle. He almost succeeded.

Also, poetic justice after this Sean Wade hit was called targeting and completely changed the momentum of the game last year. Probably also targeting, per the letter of the rule, but far less reckless and dangerous than Skalski's hit.

3ede60c0-29fc-11ea-bfdb-00b8889a57d7

LOL, Lawrence laid on the field for a minute after that hit. It was a shot directly to Lawrence’s helmet.

LOL at lumping Clemson and ND and blaming the ACC.

Seriously. Not even close. The Wade hit was to the head with crown of the helmet.

To state the obvious, the head is connected to the shoulders. It can be difficult to discern leading with the head vs. shoulder on a low hit when attempting to tackle a moving target. To me, Skalski seemed lined up to hit Fields with his shoulder but Fields spun toward Skalski’s head. You can’t tackled low without lowering your head to some degree.

LOL at lumping Clemson and ND and blaming the ACC.

I’m blaming the system. Everyone in charge knows the ACC lacks depth and that an elite team has a cakewalk through the conference schedule and conference championship game. ND has lost one ACC regular season game since 2017 (Miami in 2017).

I blame the system for competitive imbalance that assures that we know who at least 3 teams will be before the season even starts.

LOL, Lawrence laid on the field for a minute after that hit. It was a shot directly to Lawrence’s helmet.

Lawrence missed zero plays. He ducked down into the hit. Wade wrapped up and drug him to the ground. It was a much less dangerous tackle, although still targeting.

But it doesn't matter anymore. We've witnessed history. A #11 ranked team will never win a 4 team playoff game ever again.

Seriously. Not even close. The Wade hit was to the head with crown of the helmet.

To state the obvious, the head is connected to the shoulders. It can be difficult to discern leading with the head vs. shoulder on a low hit when attempting to tackle a moving target. To me, Skalski seemed lined up to hit Fields with his shoulder but Fields spun toward Skalski’s head. You can’t tackled low without lowering your head to some degree.

Yes you can. Again, you're taught how to do this (if you have competent coaches) from your first practice in pads. I'll always remember leading with my head in JV football scrimmage to make a big hit. I was pumped and celebrating until the coaches started screaming at me and made me run a couple miles. Never did it again.

Boy, is NC State looking bad against Kentucky.
In fact the ACC is winless so far in Bowl games.
Does anyone root for UNC tonight for the sake of the conference?
(I know the answer, but had to ask)

Not trying to be a dick, but did you ever play football? You're taught from day 1 of mighty mites to avoid leading with your head on a tackle because 1) it's super dangerous and 2) you're eyes are looking at the ground, not the ball carrier, so you're more likely to miss. Skalski is a dirty player with a history of ejections, who went for a big hit to knock an elite QB out of the game rather than make a textbook tackle. He almost succeeded.

Also, poetic justice after this Sean Wade hit was called targeting and completely changed the momentum of the game last year. Probably also targeting, per the letter of the rule, but far less reckless and dangerous than Skalski's hit.

3ede60c0-29fc-11ea-bfdb-00b8889a57d7

Far less reckless and dangerous?

If you want your pro-OSU opinions to be taken seriously (and I was rooting for them last night), you have to remove this kind of blind bias.

Back