• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The All-Jim Grobe Football Team

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
Below is an All-Wake Forest football team made up of players coached by Jim Grobe. The number or "HM" represents their placement on All-ACC teams under Grobe if applicable. Other honors are listed.

I use the same designations as the All-ACC lists (QB, RB, TE, WR, OL, DL, LB, DB, SP, K, P).

On Defense, I went 3-4 on the First Team and 4-3 on the Second Team. The 3-3-5 years aren't represented at DB. At the end is a list of my toughest decisions.

Feel free to discuss. Hope this will remind us of some former greats and inform younger posters. I'll change the list if there is enough consensus.

First Team Offense
QB Riley Skinner 2-ROY, HM, HM
RB Chris Barclay 2, 1, 1-OPOY
RB Ovie Mugheli
TE Ray Thomas
WR Michael Campanero 2, 2
WR Kenneth Moore 1

OL Steve Justice 1, 1
OL Tyson Clabo HM, 1
OL Steve Vallos 2, HM, 1
OL Michael Collins 1
OL Blake Henry 1
K Sam Swank 1, HM

Second Team Offense
QB James MacPherson
RB Tarence Williams 2, HM
RB Tommy Bohannon
TE John Terenshinki
WR Chris Givens 1
WR DJ Boldin 1

OL Joe Looney 2
OL Chris DeGeare HM
OL Jeff Griffin HM
OL Mark Moroz HM, 2
OL Vince Azzolina HM
K Tyler Ashe

First Team Defense
DL Calvin Pace 2, 1
DL Nikita Whitlock 2, 2, 1
DL Boo Robinson HM

LB Jon Abbate HM, HM, 1
LB Aaron Curry 2, 1
LB Stanley Arnoux
LB Brad White

DB Eric King HM, 1, 2
DB Josh Gattis 2, 1
DB Alphonso Smith 1, 1
DB Josh Bush 1

SP John Stone 2
P Ryan Plackemeier 1, 1, 1

Second Team Defense
DL Nate Bolling 2
DL John Russell 2
DL Montique Sharpe HM
DL Jyles Tucker HM

LB Kyle Wilber
LB Caron Bracy
LB Justin Jackson

DB Patrick Ghee
DB Chip Vaughn HM
DB Brandon Ghee
DB Bud Noel HM

SP Fabian Davis 2
P Sam Swank HM

Toughest Decisions
RB Josh Adams or Tommy Bohannon – I went with Bohannon because although underutilized, he was great and continued to get better compared to Adams who had strong freshman honors, but fell off over four years
DL Kyle Wilber – Hard to believe he didn’t have the honors to make it. Despite all the concerns about DL play, it has been a fairly deep position over Grobe’s tenure with several four-year standouts
LB – We had four phenomenal LBs under Grobe. The rest don’t stand out nearly as much
DB Josh Bush over Brandon Ghee and Chip Vaughn on First Team – Hard to argue with 1[SUP]st[/SUP] team All-ACC
SP Fabian Davis or Kevin Marion – Really could have gone either way here. Idlette deserves some love here, too

Last edited:
Didn't Wilber play OLB his senior year? I'd put him on there ahead of either Bracey or Adams.

Micah Andrews deserves some consideration. Jimmy Newman was not good.

Really solid work. I agreed with almost all of your picks. i might put Kevin Marion in at the KR spot. He played a big role for some of the best Grobe teams.

Didn't Wilber play OLB his senior year? I'd put him on there ahead of either Bracey or Adams.

Thought about that. I guess if I put Swank at K and P, I can sneak in Wilber at OLB. I'll make the change and take out Adams.

Micah Andrews deserves some consideration. Jimmy Newman was not good.

I agree, but name a kicker who was better besides Swank.

Very solid list. Shouldn't Louis Frazier belong on the 2nd team or at least be honorable mention? He was a real rock of our OL for a very long period of time.

If we had all those guys together, how close could we come to a natty championship?

I thought he'd make it but I went with Boldin based on his 1st team All-ACC season.

If we had all those guys together, how close could we come to a natty championship?

idk about a nat'l title but easily a team that could have won 11 or 12 games. IMHO you could put every single guy on that list (both 1st and 2nd teams) up against this years FSU team or any Bama team from the past 5 years and idk if they could compete. its one hell of a group nonetheless. i also agree jason anderson should have made it over givens or boldin.

What about the DE who played about 6 years ago and became a starter for the GB Packers before hurting his neck? He was very good and I just remember his name.

Yeah I thought about Thompson and Matt Robinson(since I always got them mixed up).

Amazing how much better Jason Anderson has gotten in ten years. Dude was a less-good Josh Adams out wide - promising first year but never as good as he should have been after that.

Surprised what good DL's we've had, and how weak our LB's have been.

Back