• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Argument for Guns

good post. this is what we're talking about.

would a bow and arrow suffice? i know plenty of hunters find success here as well. if no one was using guns it would seem the effectiveness of this method would go up significantly.

Bowhunting is hard as shit. If you didn't have a gun and needed to hunt, you'd quickly adapt, though. The Native Americans did pretty well for themselves after-all.

How much cheap venison is worth scores of dead children? Is there a rubric I can reference?

My family lives in a large house out in the country. We called the police one night and the response time was 45 minutes.

This. Anyone who wants to take away guns would feel very differently after a few nights in the remote country. It's one thing to argue such when you spend your entire life within 2 minutes of a policeman. It's something else altogether when its 2:30 a.m. in the wilderness and you don't know if the noise you hear is a raccoon or a meth addict.

More
on my views about guns and crazy people for those interested.

Lets ban knives also. That sexually frustrated nerd in California used them in 50% of his murders.

We can ban the weapon that shoots hundreds of knives a minute at 2000fps.

Keep shotguns and rifles with limited capacities for hunting and home protection. Get rid of handguns and anything that can shoot more than 4 times without re-loading.

Keep shotguns and rifles with limited capacities for hunting and home protection. Get rid of handguns and anything that can shoot more than 4 times without re-loading.

Perfect

How much cheap venison is worth scores of dead children? Is there a rubric I can reference?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bigdoublezero again.

This is evidence that the N.R.A. is winning. They have managed to frame virtually any attempt at rational gun control as taking away your ability to defend yourself or go hunting on the weekends. By creating an either-or narrative they've ensured that for the time being meaningful gun reform will not pass at a national level.

It's not either-or. There is room for responsible, purposeful gun ownership in this country. There are also reasonable steps legislatures can take to reduce gun violence that don't involve taking away hunting rifles or firearms used for personal protection.

Mandatory background checks and waiting periods along with a National Gun registry.
Stricter limits on the # of guns and amount of Ammo you can own.
Strict liability for gun owners for crimes committed with guns that they own (unless reported stolen w/in 24 hours of discovery of the theft).

Those are just a start, would have a noticeable impact on gun violence, and would impose little to no burden on the large majority of gun owners.

Yep. The sole purpose of a handgun is to harm another human. Spare me the BS of shooting them at the range or whatever. I'm ok with law enforcement and military use, though. But ordinary citizens don't need them.

People who like to shoot guns at the range can just store their guns at the range.

This is evidence that the N.R.A. is winning. They have managed to frame virtually any attempt at rational gun control as taking away your ability to defend yourself or go hunting on the weekends. By creating an either-or narrative they've ensured that for the time being meaningful gun reform will not pass at a national level.

It's not either-or. There is room for responsible, purposeful gun ownership in this country. There are also reasonable steps legislatures can take to reduce gun violence that don't involve taking away hunting rifles or firearms used for personal protection.

Mandatory background checks and waiting periods along with a National Gun registry.
Stricter limits on the # of guns and amount of Ammo you can own.
Strict liability for gun owners for crimes committed with guns that they own (unless reported stolen w/in 24 hours of discovery of the theft).

Those are just a start, would have a noticeable impact on gun violence, and would impose little to no burden on the large majority of gun owners.

So like, what, 100lbs?

This. Anyone who wants to take away guns would feel very differently after a few nights in the remote country. It's one thing to argue such when you spend your entire life within 2 minutes of a policeman. It's something else altogether when its 2:30 a.m. in the wilderness and you don't know if the noise you hear is a raccoon or a meth addict.

More
on my views about guns and crazy people for those interested.

I'm not a fan of the "outlaw guns and only criminals will have them" argument. Partly because, though I personally wouldn't mind it, most people aren't really talking about getting rid of all guns. Also, if all guns were outlawed, it would make them much more difficult to find, and expensive to buy, on the black market. So the meth addict you're worried about, for example, would find it much more difficult to get his hands on one.

Back