• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Argument for Guns

The NRA doesn't give a damn about the 2nd Amendment other than how it can help sales for their masters in the gun and ammo industries.

PLEASE let the south secede again! PLEASE!

Taxes would drop dramatically as the rest of us wouldn't have to pay for all those southern mooches any longer.

You could have Indiana and WV too.

florida is alright tho. let's keep FL if for nothing else than disney and hot Tallahassee chicks.

There is a pretty easy solution to accidental gun crime. Tie the action to the gun owner. If a kid shoots himself with your gun then the gun owner goes to jail. If someone steals your gun and you don't report it (obviously if your gun is stolen and you report the action then you are no longer culpable) then when they kill someone you pay the same penalty. This one action would cause everyone to rethink their gun ownership. I will probably own a gun at some point over the next decade for hunting, and possibly for personal protection. When I do, I will be absolutely certain to protect my kids from accidental use by having a gun safe and separating the ammo from the gun.

It would only take a few cases of sloppy gun owners going to jail to waken everyone else up. If you own the gun, you are responsible for it. If you can't be responsible for it, then don't own it.

Take that, Mrs. Lanza! Enjoy jail.

1192cbCOMIC-open-carry-patriots.jpg

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/10/gun...ill_make_the_nra_realize_theyve_lost_america/

“Do you think it would scare people?” Reid asked repeatedly, when she had Tov Henderson, communications director for Open Carry Texas, on “The Reid Report” on May 3. “I can’t get you to answer a very simple question, of do you think it scares people to see, let alone one armed person, but a bunch of armed people in this day and age, when we have so many mass shootings? Do you think it scares people?”
From the very beginning, Reid tried to bring Henderson into a reality-based dialogue — reality-based in a simple, down-to-earth, everyday sense, no science required. No evolution. No global warming. Just everyday folks trying to get something to drink, or a bite to eat.
“So Tov, what would be your argument against what the NRA has said?” Reid began, referring to the since retracted statement, “Because it is unusual to be standing in line, let’s say, at the coffee shop, and have one, two or a hundred people walk up behind you, all with guns strapped to their backs. That is unusual, right? And you understand that that frightens people?”

This is their actual record of conduct. In his story about “bullying and degrading women,” Follman began with the story of an NRA member paralyzed by gun violence who was spat upon in her wheelchair in an Indianapolis airport, after the spitter saw a clip from a Moms Demand Action press conference she was part of on a nearby TV monitor. Another story he tells is about how Open Carry Texas members repeatedly harassed a woman who called the police when she saw one of their assault rifle demonstrations:
On April 10, Brett Sanders, a member of Open Carry Texas in Plano, a midsize city in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, posted a video on YouTube highlighting the name and cellphone number of a woman who’d called the police after seeing heavily armed men on her way to a shopping mall. The post drew condemnation not only for outing the woman but also because it was misleading: It claimed that the woman had called 911, though she’d called the nonemergency line of the Plano PD. And the footage it used came from friendly-looking demonstrations elsewhere—not from the one that the woman encountered. (“Feel free to contact me when you work for a real news organization,” Sanders replied to my request for comment.)
The woman—a high school teacher who asked not to be identified—quickly got pummeled with text messages and voicemails, copies of which she provided to Mother Jones. Callers told her she was a “stupid bitch” and “motherfucking whore.”
“They fought for their right to carry guns,” said another. “You’re a piece of shit.” One caller threatened to come after her with a gun.
Over the next four days she received nearly two dozen such calls and text messages.
That is the harsh reality of how the Texas open carry movement actually behaves, as opposed to the rose-colored version of how Henderson portrayed them, in the course of evading Reid’s question. Not incidentally, Follman also noted, two other people called the police about the demonstration in Plano that day, but neither of them was targeted for harassment. Both were men. He added:
The attack left the teacher worried for the safety of her family: “I felt that if I walked out someone was going to be standing there.” But in hindsight, she says, “I think they are very weak men. They use their guns because that’s all they have. If you know what I mean.”

^Ugh.

This is an indefensible point, but also can't be refuted, as it's pure conjecture and based on something that couldn't happen, so here it is:

If the framers of the Constitution and Bill of Rights had a crystal ball and could have seen this outcome, I've got to think (and hope) that the Second Amendment wouldn't exist, or at least would be very different.

Well yeah. The Bill of Rights was written in context of what had just happened and what was necessary to establish a new nation from scratch. It's pretty clear to me they meant the Second Amendment to protect the right to form a militia as needed. A well-regulated militia.

It's interesting that a lot of political rhetoric is about "common sense" (as in, running as a "common sense conservative"), but I don't see how even an ounce of common sense doesn't lead us to at least take a look at the Second Amendment and how it can be improved. Yes, improved, not necessarily abolished. As much as I'd love for guns to disappear, they're not going to. But it could be updated (if not directly, through other legislation) to work better for us today.

The woman—a high school teacher who asked not to be identified—quickly got pummeled with text messages and voicemails, copies of which she provided to Mother Jones. Callers told her she was a “stupid bitch” and “motherfucking whore.”

Not incidentally, Follman also noted, two other people called the police about the demonstration in Plano that day, but neither of them was targeted for harassment. Both were men.

That's an impressive showing of cowardice.

That's an impressive showing of cowardice.

Made even more impressive by the fact this is an organization of cowards to walk into public places wearing large guns.

You can do the same cartoon with the elephant and donkey switched and a picture of a woman's reproductive system.

Back