• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Argument for Guns

What does this have to do with guns?

rj, my chart supports your point and is taken from the exact same data set as the atlantic piece

this marks approximately the fifth time in the last month you've argued against me when i've been arguing your point, or, alternatively, arguing no point at all

When I looked at your chart, it appears that CA and other states that are net givers on other charts to the feds are takers.

Go fuck yourself.....

I said what I meant. I looked at that chart and it appeared to say something other charts don't. If I made a mistake, I made a mistake.

When you live in a county with no stoplights you pretty much need a gun for protection. The police aren't coming to help you, and by the time they do about an hour will have passed. If someone wants to come jack you up and you don't have a gun then may God have mercy on your soul. For much of rural America owning a gun is their safety harness. Without it you feel completely exposed. While I don't own one, I understand that. If I lived out in the country (mind you...I live in a town of 18,000 people...we aren't exactly a metropolis) I would most definitely own a gun, and would probably own several. It would be foolish to not own a gun IMO. Basically be screaming to any deviants...'please come steal from me...and while you are at it, please have your way with my wife and daughter because I have no way to protect myself'.

Ahh, small town life in America...Just like a scene out of the Andy Griffith Show.

Ahh, small town life in America...Just like a scene out of the Andy Griffith Show.

Can't tell if you are being serious or not, but it is probably a lot closer to Andy Griffith out here than most people from large urban areas realize. Guns are a pretty sacred right in rural America, and the value of guns is probably one of the only issues that cuts across the racial barrier that divides almost every other issue in Mississippi.

I've lived in a small southern town with fewer than 5,000 people all my life. I've never owned a gun of any kind and never once felt that my safety was in danger due to not having one. Gun fanatics are totally full of shit.

I must confess that I have a hard time believing there aren't 4,999 people in your town who want to harm you.

I've lived in a small southern town with fewer than 5,000 people all my life. I've never owned a gun of any kind and never once felt that my safety was in danger due to not having one. Gun fanatics are totally full of shit.

Randleman has a population density comparable to Winston Salem (1150/sq. mile vs. 1400/sq. mile). Pretty sure Wrangor was referring to people who live in the country miles from the next closest home. I don't really buy his argument but he wasn't talking about towns like Randleman.

In my view, the argument doesn't have much to do with whether one lives in an urban, suburban, or rural environment. In none of these environments can the police respond to a violent intruder fast enough for me to place the life of myself and my family in their hands.

What are the chances that a violent intruder will break into your home compared to the chances that someone will be accidentally shot by the gun in your house?

What are the chances that a violent intruder will break into your home compared to the chances that someone will be accidentally shot by the gun in your house?

I've obviously concluded that the former is higher than the latter.

I've also concluded that the benefit of having a pool is not worth the cost, both in terms of hard dollars and the high incidence of drowning accidents, which is much higher than the incidence of gun accidents. So much so that we really should be debating the legality of pool ownership. Contrary to guns, I don't see anything in the "pro" column other than personal pleasure.

Last edited:

A few things. But first a question, seriously. Do you ever even try to see the other side of an issue? I really want to know.

Everyone who owns and wants to keep a gun is not a "fanatic." I dislike the NRA, but when I read posts like this it makes me want to sign up. Seriously, statements like yours are worth more than gold to the NRA.

More importantly, a town of 5,000 (I know; I grew up in one) will almost certainly have a police department. And people in such towns often live in neighborhoods where people watch out for each other. Even if you live outside of town, you're 5-10 minutes away from a law enforcement officer at your door.

People who live in the remote parts of rural counties (for example, my farm is 6 or so miles outside of a town of 300) are 30-45 minutes away from law enforcement. I am very (very) comforted by the fact that I have rifles and shotguns in my house, even though I will hopefully never need them for self-protection.

(I'm sure I've lost you to a blind rage, and you're hammering out some extreme reply about how I- a social liberal and political moderate- am some Ted Nugent wannabe, but for the rest of the crew...) I think some of this comes down to comfort level. I have two friends who have small planes. Every time I fly with them, I am scared shitless. I try to hide it, but they can tell. To them, flying those planes is like driving a car, because they know how to do it and they are careful. Similarly, some people are very comfortable around guns. I am certain that my guns are not going to inadvertently harm someone, because I know how to handle them, and I am careful with them. I think some people who haven't handled guns a lot feel about guns the way I feel about small planes.

Weird. I thought people bought guns because they weren't comfortable with guns held by other people.

I also like how small towns are simultaneously places where people leave their doors unlocked yet live in fear of intruders.

Last edited:
Back