• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Argument for Guns

hm, maybe, but the affects of shitty diets may be a more pressing threat to the US than gun violence

hm, maybe, but the affects of shitty diets may be a more pressing threat to the US than gun violence

Guns don't kill people. Donuts kill people.

I'm way out of my depth on this, but it's my understanding that the Indians prized guns for protection and war against other tribes, not because they were looking for more efficient coyote extermination techniques.

Initially they were valued for hunting, mostly due to the fact very few tribes had access to them, and when they did it was maybe one or two. Not nearly enough to outfit an entire war party. Plus, a bowman could fire multiple shots at the enemy much quicker than a rifleman who had to reload after each shot. Our government did a really great job of keeping guns out of their hands for many years. What they had access to was through trading or picking them up off dead men.

Guns don't kill people. Donuts kill people.

here's an indian with a donut gun

web_506fd4d88c47297c5e000001.jpg

That would be an interesting comparison in terms of economic impact. Someone posted a link earlier in the thread about a $175 billion economic loss per year, offset of course by some positive economic aspects of the gun industry. My guess is the shitty diets have a much larger pure economic impact, but you also offset that by shitty food making gobs and gobs of money, dwarfing the gun industry.

Of course, this doesn't take into account the direct negative impact gun culture has on the disadvantaged. And the bystanders who just get shot and murdered. Doesn't really happen with donuts.

That would be an interesting comparison in terms of economic impact. Someone posted a link earlier in the thread about a $175 billion economic loss per year, offset of course by some positive economic aspects of the gun industry. My guess is the shitty diets have a much larger pure economic impact, but you also offset that by shitty food making gobs and gobs of money, dwarfing the gun industry.

Of course, this doesn't take into account the direct negative impact gun culture has on the disadvantaged. And the bystanders who just get shot and murdered. Doesn't really happen with donuts.

seriously?

har har.

Point is, in the vein of the purpose of this thread, there's a difference between people wanting something and people needing something. If you give someone a gun to scare away/kill a coyote, of course they're going to choose that over a bow. If you give children a choice between eating vegetables or eating donuts, they're picking the donuts. Wrangor points out that people want guns on their farms to scare away predators, but they're not necessary. They're just easy. Who cares if they have horrible yet relatively intangible side effects?

No one is saying that we need guns. We don't. They are useful, however, for a variety of purposes. The question then becomes how we balance the usefulness of guns with their negative side effects.

Do we as a society need to eliminate all gun related deaths? No we don't. However attempting to do so would be beneficial for tons of reasons. The question then becomes how we as a society balance the desire to eliminate gun deaths with other societal values, such as freedom and autonomy.

While eliminating all guns would eliminate all gun related deaths it would also severely limit the freedom of many citizens. The reality is that the farmer who owns a semi-automatic rifle to use for sport, hunting, and protection of his livestock, isn't contributing to the "gun violence epidemic" any more than I am contributing to the obesity epidemic when I go to McDonalds.

Instead of a towel, I think they should have to give you an AK when you go into a public restroom. Urinals can really be a dangerous place.

No one is saying that we need guns. We don't. They are useful, however, for a variety of purposes. The question then becomes how we balance the usefulness of guns with their negative side effects.

Do we as a society need to eliminate all gun related deaths? No we don't. However attempting to do so would be beneficial for tons of reasons. The question then becomes how we as a society balance the desire to eliminate gun deaths with other societal values, such as freedom and autonomy.

While eliminating all guns would eliminate all gun related deaths it would also severely limit the freedom of many citizens. The reality is that the farmer who owns a semi-automatic rifle to use for sport, hunting, and protection of his livestock, isn't contributing to the "gun violence epidemic" any more than I am contributing to the obesity epidemic when I go to McDonalds.

When you live in a county with no stoplights you pretty much need a gun for protection. The police aren't coming to help you, and by the time they do about an hour will have passed. If someone wants to come jack you up and you don't have a gun then may God have mercy on your soul. For much of rural America owning a gun is their safety harness. Without it you feel completely exposed. While I don't own one, I understand that. If I lived out in the country (mind you...I live in a town of 18,000 people...we aren't exactly a metropolis) I would most definitely own a gun, and would probably own several. It would be foolish to not own a gun IMO. Basically be screaming to any deviants...'please come steal from me...and while you are at it, please have your way with my wife and daughter because I have no way to protect myself'.

[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

This is among the most mindless, brainwashed drivel gun nuts can possibly use. WOW!!!!

No one can you take you seriously if you are trying tell people the police aren't here to protect you. This is crazy talk.

Obligation to protect you. Words have meanings. The other case was Warren v. DC. Feel free to read up on them, or just type in red...

Thanks for proving how extreme, how brainwashed and how much you suck up to the NRA and their masters of death who fund them you are.

PLEASE let the south secede again! PLEASE!

Taxes would drop dramatically as the rest of us wouldn't have to pay for all those southern mooches any longer.

You could have Indiana and WV too.

I think jhmd2000 would approve of this post. #bootstraps, states rights, and all that

So you believe in government programs of "income redistribution" such as welfare and unemployment benefits, yet NIMBY when you realize that your state is the "rich" subsidizing these programs?

WTF are you talking about?

The states that bitch about "big government" and "states rights" are also the ones that are sucking at the teats of big government and dependent on it. Yet they talk about "personal responsibility" when they have little of their own.

I have no problem helping those who need some help.

WTF are you talking about?

The states that bitch about "big government" and "states rights" are also the ones that are sucking at the teats of big government and dependent on it. Yet they talk about "personal responsibility" when they have little of their own.

I have no problem helping those who need some help.

I think he was pointing out that the only thing as incessant as jmhd bitching about big government is you bitching about California supporting poor Southern states. If the other side is hypocritical and you simply take the opposite views of the other side that makes you hypocritical as well.

rj, my chart supports your point and is taken from the exact same data set as the atlantic piece

this marks approximately the fifth time in the last month you've argued against me when i've been arguing your point, or, alternatively, arguing no point at all

lol

rj's comprehension skills are amazing

Back