• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Argument for Guns

I mean to act like mass shootings don't happen anywhere else in the world is pretty asinine. I'm sure the rate is higher in the U.S. and that accessibility to guns plays a part in that higher rate but it's not as simple as banning guns = no mass murders.

Improving mental health care, growing the economy and coming up with a better way to deal with drugs would all have a more significant impact on the homicide rate in the U.S. than gun control. That doesn't mean gun control isn't necessary and important though.

I mean to act like mass shootings don't happen anywhere else in the world is pretty asinine. I'm sure the rate is higher in the U.S. and that accessibility to guns plays a part in that higher rate but it's not as simple as banning guns = no mass murders.

Improving mental health care, growing the economy and coming up with a better way to deal with drugs would all have a more significant impact on the homicide rate in the U.S. than gun control. That doesn't mean gun control isn't necessary and important though.

Definitely agree with your second paragraph. As to the first, we seem to have at least one mass shooting a week, usually more than one. If multiple people get wounded but no one dies, it hardly gets reported. If it's a gangland situation where a house or a crowd gets sprayed with bullets and only one or two people die, that doesn't get reported outside the city where it happens.

Check out this site. I have no idea how accurate their data is - it's "crowd-sourced" - but the numbers are interesting. http://www.rampageshooting.com/ The US is not at the top of the list of per capita rampage shootings, but it's pretty obvious that most of the countries above the US are there because just one incident, given their small populations, badly skews a per capita ranking. In the period 2009-213, this site lists 39 US rampage shootings. Of all the other OECD countries, Germany had 3, the rest no more than 2. Most have 0.

Definitely agree with your second paragraph. As to the first, we seem to have at least one mass shooting a week, usually more than one. If multiple people get wounded but no one dies, it hardly gets reported. If it's a gangland situation where a house or a crowd gets sprayed with bullets and only one or two people die, that doesn't get reported outside the city where it happens.

Check out this site. I have no idea how accurate their data is - it's "crowd-sourced" - but the numbers are interesting. http://www.rampageshooting.com/ The US is not at the top of the list of per capita rampage shootings, but it's pretty obvious that most of the countries above the US are there because just one incident, given their small populations, badly skews a per capita ranking. In the period 2009-213, this site lists 39 US rampage shootings. Of all the other OECD countries, Germany had 3, the rest no more than 2. Most have 0.

Interesting link. The US has roughly 25% of the total population of the report but accounts for 63% of rampage incidents.

Interesting link. The US has roughly 25% of the total population of the report but accounts for 63% of rampage incidents.

right. If you plotted dots above and below the average per capita rate, the US would be waaaaaay off the line.

I just spent a week on Seven Mile Beach at Grand Cayman, and I find this thread at the top?

Some thoughts...

Should a rich, totalitarian asshole former politician like Michael Bloomberg, who is now just a rich, totalitarian asshole, be able to employ bodyguards who are exempt from firearms laws that apply to the rest of the citizens of NY state? Simply because the police unions supported NY's supposed SAFE act, simply because retired police are exempt from that act? And that is a mayor, along with police chief Ray Kelly, who supported a $500 application fee to simply own a handgun in NYC? Not concealed carry, but simple ownership in one's home? Good for me but not for thee, yes?

Some of you simply lack the knowledge of firearms terminology and laws, which is pretty easy to glean from the comments, yet those facts are easy to look up.

I pointed out Leland Yee, accused gun runner and anti 2A advocate, yet he just received 280K votes for Secretary of State in CA. Talk about low information voters.

I posted these links before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22971620/inaccurate-remarks-gun-magazines-put-rep-diana-degette

Do you not think that elected officials should know about the technicalities of the laws they propose?

And as I have posted before, the police have no obligation to protect you, see Castle Rock v Gonzales, plus another case in DC which I cannot remember offhand. Yet, the police and politicians readily tell you to rely on the police. I am not buying it.

9qytNca.jpg

I just spent a week on Seven Mile Beach at Grand Cayman, and I find this thread at the top?

Some thoughts...

Should a rich, totalitarian asshole former politician like Michael Bloomberg, who is now just a rich, totalitarian asshole, be able to employ bodyguards who are exempt from firearms laws that apply to the rest of the citizens of NY state? Simply because the police unions supported NY's supposed SAFE act, simply because retired police are exempt from that act? And that is a mayor, along with police chief Ray Kelly, who supported a $500 application fee to simply own a handgun in NYC? Not concealed carry, but simple ownership in one's home? Good for me but not for thee, yes?

Some of you simply lack the knowledge of firearms terminology and laws, which is pretty easy to glean from the comments, yet those facts are easy to look up.

I pointed out Leland Yee, accused gun runner and anti 2A advocate, yet he just received 280K votes for Secretary of State in CA. Talk about low information voters.

I posted these links before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22971620/inaccurate-remarks-gun-magazines-put-rep-diana-degette

Do you not think that elected officials should know about the technicalities of the laws they propose?

And as I have posted before, the police have no obligation to protect you, see Castle Rock v Gonzales, plus another case in DC which I cannot remember offhand. Yet, the police and politicians readily tell you to rely on the police. I am not buying it.

This is among the most mindless, brainwashed drivel gun nuts can possibly use. WOW!!!!

No one can you take you seriously if you are trying tell people the police aren't here to protect you. This is crazy talk.

Propaganda: ideas or or statements that are often false or exaggerated and that are spread in order to help a cause, a political leader, or a government.

That sounds a lot like what I see every single day when I actually waste my time to keep up with what the news media is saying. I know this firsthand from seeing and hearing about media reports of what I was doing in the military that weren't even close to the truth. If you or someone you know wasn't actually on the "X," then you're getting third-party information. And we all know what happens when "he said, she said."

Dom Rasso, NRA News Commentator

The NRA backed off its statement against the Open Carry folks bringing rifles into Chipotle and Target and other such public places.

The NRA backed off its statement against the Open Carry folks bringing rifles into Chipotle and Target and other such public places.

Can't allow that slippery slope. Today, it's impolite to carry M-16s in Chipotle, tomorrow OBUMMER IS GONNA TAKE YER GUNZ!!!!!

We need guns on the farm to kill wild hogs, snakes, and coyotes.

APSimg7102.jpg

"I can't tell you how many coyotes messed with us until we found a way to get guns."

I get that this is tongue in cheek, but it's a stupid argument. Once the Indians found out about guns they dropped those bows and arrows as fast as they could. Sure you can kill a coyote with a spear, but it's a shitload easier with a .243.

Back