• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Beatles

I get Rubber Soul being the pre psychedelic era but I don't really get that with Revolver that was really their transition album to me

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Something about the Beatles I just recently learned - they were fans of TM - transcendental mediitation. Seems like a scam but there are so many celeb testimonials. Maybe it helped with their songwriting?

btw, new beatles channel on sirius is super disappointing so far. it's like 80% ringo solo stuff

The first time I listened to the channel, Boyz II Men's cover of "Yesterday" was on...I was highly offended.

Hey, playlists for those song databases don't come easy.

I was never into The Beatles until about 5 years ago. Being a musician, that is weird. But once it clicked, it clicked big time. I have watched every documentary and read every book (as long as it isn't too long and has pictures) on The Beatles and individual members. They fascinate me. Incredible that Paul and John and George happen to meet and form a band.

Side note and the only half way interesting story I can tell from my boring life: When I was in high school, my English class took a field trip to NYC in early December. I had never been to a big city. Total small town redneck. So our bus arrives late at night, and we were to stay in Times Square. When we arrive, there is commotion and we find out that only a couple hours earlier that John Lennon had been shot and killed. So at the request of the teachers and chaperones our bus driver took us to The Dakotas. I will never forget that scene. I knew who Lennon was, but I don't think I realized until that moment how big a deal he and The Beatles were. It was surreal. We stayed - thanks to awesome teachers - and were a part of the whole scene. Candles, flowers, signs, singing, crying - massive crowd had begun forming. We got to stay there as a group and be right in the middle of that whole thing. Something I will never forget. I remember it like it was last night.

On more than one occasion, I've felt that Magical Mystery Tour has a better collection of songs than Sgt. Pepper. A Day in the Life is perhaps the best ending to an album ever, but as individual songs, sometimes I prefer MMT. Is that wrong?

I agree that MMT may be the best collection of songs of any of their albums, it's just overlooked because the film was a flop and only about half the songs were new. If "Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" had gone on Sgt. P's, like the Beatles wanted, it would have been a different story

Some highlights from my perspective:
The 3 part harmony on "If I Fell" is beyond compare.
"I Should Have Known Better" is one of the best songs I have ever heard and it was a B side as a single.
John Lennon's voice on "Nowhere Man" has a level of angst and pain that is astounding.
Revolver is one stupendous album that never fails to please and amaze me. Even lesser lights like "I'm Only Sleeping" and "My Bird Can Sing" are highlights to be heard.
"Strawberry Fields" is my top single of all time.
"Happiness is a Warm Gun" is three short songs in one with Lennon closing by how good it feels to have his finger on the trigger only to be gunned down tragically by a gun carrier 11 years later.

Hope I have provided some memories of excellence.

Revolver is my personal fave. A nice in-between album where they aren't mushy pop and aren't completely drugged out. Superb songwriting as well. For No One and Eleanor Rigby are quintessential Paul tunes and great examples of why he is such a fantastic songwriter. Melody for miles in those songs.

XTC picked up the mantle and ran with it pretty well, I think. Even ignoring their Dukes of Stratosphere stuff, their regular stuff is off the charts greatness. They surpassed the Beatles at their own game, IMO. (except for sales and fame, of course)

Last edited:
Back