• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Best Films of 2014

Never saw Hard Eight all the way through, but there is no disguising or rationalizing the shit show that was The Master. Unlike Magnolia or PDL, which both gave me a WTF feeling after viewing, I did not come away with The Master stuck in my craw. I came away thinking it was two completely wasted (but outstanding) performances and I didn't care to see it again. Magnolia and PDL both were better after a second viewing. PDL for its subtleties and simplicity, and Magnolia because it was easier to take everything in. Honestly, TWBB is not something I think about in retrospect either. People love the shit out of that movie, but I'd put it behind Boogie Nights and Magnolia.

I thought the first 2/3 of the Master was excellent. I really thought it was going to be a perfect setup for the fall of LRH, being discredited, forced into hiding and eventually dying in a trailer in the CA desert. Would have been parallel to Boogie Nights narrative of one's actions coming back to haunt them later in life.

When they came back from sea and went into those long 'therapy' scenes though, it lost me. The last 30 mins basically ruined a potentially great movie.

I thought it was very interesting that PTA basically admitted in Maron's recent WTF podcast that he isn't really that great of an editor, and that Magnolia was probably 30 mins too long. I think he just pours all this stuff into his movies, and sometimes it works and sometimes not so much.

It's that same classic auteur's failure to self-edit that really makes movies like There Will Be Blood work, though. Double-edged sword, probably.

So I have to give a HUGE recommendation to everyone for THE GUEST, which came out on blu-ray/DVD this past Tuesday. This will be a movie that will no doubt soon be considered a cult classic, the studio completely botched the release so no one much saw it in theaters, which is a hell of a shame. Think Terminator meets Halloween meets Killer Joe.

My friend just texted me and said The Guest is awesome. Said the soundtrack was on point.
Holy shit all of this. Just redboxed and this movie is fucking amazing. If you threw Drive, Terminator 1, and Halloween into a blender this is what would come out.

Can we rename this thread "Townie Goes to the Cinema"? I've heard of none of these. I did, however, enjoy the Captain America movie, and I usually don't really like comic book movies.

Lol, this is the most pretnetious thread i think that has ever graced the pit, wow. Look at what you people are saying.

Can we rename this thread "Townie Goes to the Cinema"? I've heard of none of these. I did, however, enjoy the Captain America movie, and I usually don't really like comic book movies.

Lol, this is the most pretnetious thread i think that has ever graced the pit, wow. Look at what you people are saying.

haha i hadn't even posted on the thread when 2&2 posted that

Honestly, it's one thing not to have seen any of the movies in the original post (I haven't seen any of his top 10, though would like to and plan to see a few of them when I can), but to have not even heard of them indicates that you just aren't into movies or pop culture. And that's fine -- I'm sure your time is pretty booked reading various internet screeds against paid maternity leave. But for you not to have heard of those films is not indicative of any pretentiousness on the part of the OP. Listing the films as "Guest, The" and "Babadook, The," on the other hand, does seem a bit pretentious. I'd recommend not doing that again.

Listing the films as "Guest, The" and "Babadook, The," on the other hand, does seem a bit pretentious. I'd recommend not doing that again.

I copy and pasted the titles from a spreadsheet. I like to keep them in alphabetical order so I can find them quicker.

Here is my list of the 10 best films of 2014:

1. Birdman
2. Nightcrawler
3. Calvary
4. Grand Budapest Hotel
5. Boyhood
6. Selma
7. The Guest
8. Blue Ruin
9. Snowpiercer
10. Skeleton Twins

My next 8 would be: The Babadook, Under The Skin, Borgman, Dawn of The Planet of the Apes, The Imitation Game, Obvious Child, I Origins, and Edge of Tomorrow

Last edited:
Skeleton Twins was a failed dramedy. Not funny enough to excuse the plot problems with the drama, and drama not well developed enough to excuse the lack of humor.

Skeleton Twins was a failed dramedy. Not funny enough to excuse the plot problems with the drama, and drama not well developed enough to excuse the lack of humor.

fwiw, I read that Hader and Wiig are the frontrunners for hosting next year's Golden Globes.

fwiw, I read that Hader and Wiig are the frontrunners for hosting next year's Golden Globes.

that'd be great

they were suuuuper stoned at this year's and it was pretty funny imo

Yeah they are both super funny. That's why Skeleton Twins should have just gone for laughs instead of pushing an undercooked drama script.

Back