• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Best Films of 2014

Lucy was a big studio movie starring Scarlett Johansson... you guys really never heard of it?

Lucy's inclusion was a surprise only in that it was the surprise of the list.. there's always one.

Lucy, Nightcrawler, John Wick, Grand Budapest Hotel all went into wide release. Several others were advertised decently on TV.

True. My hot movie takes:

Under The Skin was haunting, but I wish they hadn't made Scarlett chubby for the nude scenes.
Watched Only Lovers Left Alive per your rec on the movies you just watched thread, really original.
The Guest was fun. Soundtrack indeed is awesome.
The Babodook best horror movie I've seen in a long time, and it also has a pretty affecting subtext.
You saw more in Lucy than I did, because I just thought it was philosophy 101 packaged in cheese and silliness. Kind of fun, but I assume I'm missing some homage or subtext for you to put it in your top 10.
Night Moves too sleepy for my taste.

Loved Nightcrawler and John Wick.

You didn't like Birdman or Whiplash? Whiplash I can understand basically being a sports movie disguised, but that ending made the whole thing better IMO.

What about another movie with Scarlett, Chef? Thought that was a good flick

But I agree on Grand Budapest, Nightcrawler, Under the Skin, and Inherent Vice. All were great

Also enjoyed Calvary, Locke and Skeleton Twins

Want to see Whiplash and Jodorowsky’s Dune. Have heard great things

True. My hot movie takes:

Under The Skin was haunting, but I wish they hadn't made Scarlett chubby for the nude scenes.
Watched Only Lovers Left Alive per your rec on the movies you just watched thread, really original.
The Guest was fun. Soundtrack indeed is awesome.
The Babodook best horror movie I've seen in a long time, and it also has a pretty affecting subtext.
You saw more in Lucy than I did, because I just thought it was philosophy 101 packaged in cheese and silliness. Kind of fun, but I assume I'm missing some homage or subtext for you to put it in your top 10.
Night Moves too sleepy for my taste.

Loved Nightcrawler and John Wick.

You didn't like Birdman or Whiplash? Whiplash I can understand basically being a sports movie disguised, but that ending made the whole thing better IMO.
The final scene of Whiplash was incredible. The stuff that came before it just didn't do it for me. The JK Simmons character was basically a cartoon, and too much of it seemed like the director just studied The Social Network and executed that exact color scheme and sense of pace.

Birdman was just too smug for my taste. It was basically saying "fuck critics and fuck superhero movies, THIS is how you make movies." Just rubbed me the wrong way, even though I agree with some of its statements about the current state of film.

I have a weakness for existential action movies, thus my love for LUCY and John Wick. I saw in LUCY basically The Tree of Life mixed with one of Besson's earlier movies, La Femme Nikita. Perhaps it got a little silly at some points, but it got me hooked from the beginning and I loved the twist Besson put on the action movie.

Agree on Babadook. If you like horror you should check out Cheap Thrills, it's a really fucked up horror/thriller movie. And any action fan owes it to them self to see The Raid 2. It's non-stop extremely bloody action for 2 and a half hours.

I can def tell you the worst movie of the year...Transformers 4. I didn't have to pay for it, but still cannot believe I sat through it.

No Birdman and No Whiplash make this thread fugging bunk-o.

Inherent Vice is PTH worst movie yet, and I saw the Master.

I loved the Master. Maybe my 2nd favorite (after Boogie Nights).

I think Punch Drunk Love is his worst. It's the only movie of his I don't care for. Still haven't seen Inherent Vice.

I think 2014 was at best an average year for movies

I loved the Master. Maybe my 2nd favorite (after Boogie Nights).

I think Punch Drunk Love is his worst. It's the only movie of his I don't care for. Still haven't seen Inherent Vice.

I mean, how can you not love a movie that has this?

Punch Drunk Love is my favorite, I wrote two papers about it at Wake

I'd rate PTA's flicks:

1) Boogie Nights
2) There Will Be Blood
3) Inherent Vice
4) Punch-Drunk Love
5) Magnolia
6) The Master
7) Hard Eight

On my list, the first three spots are clear cut and 4-6 are damn close. If I watched Punch-Drunk Love, Magnolia, and the Master again, then I might come up with a different order. Hard Eight is good, but it's (understandably) nowhere close to the rest of his work since.

I've never made it through the master without falling asleep

I'd rate PTA's flicks:

1) Boogie Nights
2) There Will Be Blood
3) Inherent Vice
4) Punch-Drunk Love
5) Magnolia
6) The Master
7) Hard Eight

On my list, the first three spots are clear cut and 4-6 are damn close. If I watched Punch-Drunk Love, Magnolia, and the Master again, then I might come up with a different order. Hard Eight is good, but it's (understandably) nowhere close to the rest of his work since.

Boogie Nights
The Master
There Will Be Blood
Magnolia
Hard Eight
Punch Drunk Love

Back