• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Best Films of 2015

WakeFanatic

Reaction score
2015 was a pretty damn strong year for film. Had a decent amount of Hollywood fare that was stronger than the usual output, and independent and foreign filmmaking continues to get stronger. Didn't see everything I wanted to, but figured I'd go ahead and put this out here to get some discussion started. What were you guys feeling in 2015?

Best Films of 2015
1. Chi-Raq (Spike Lee)
2. Li’l Quinquin (Bruno Dumont)
3. Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller)
4. Hard to Be a God (Aleksey German)
5. Queen of Earth (Alex Ross Perry)
6. Prince (Sam de Jong)
7. Heart of a Dog (Laurie Anderson)
8. Creed (Ryan Coogler)
9. Eden (Mia Hansen-Løve)
10. Heaven Knows What (Ben Safdie, Joshua Safdie)
Honorable Mention: Fort Tilden (Sarah-Violet Bliss, Charles Rogers), blackhat (Michael Mann), Eastern Boys (Robin Campillo), Clouds of Sils Maria (Olivier Assayas), Magic Mike XXL (Gregory Jacobs), Mistress America (Noah Baumbach), Phoenix (Christian Petzold), The Big Short (Adam McKay), Maps to the Stars (David Cronenberg), A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence (Roy Andersson)

Last edited:
Felt like a weak film year to me, but I have a lot to catch up on - probably wont be able to make my list until February.

Has Fanatic told us how much The Force Awakens sucks yet?

I still have a lot of films to see, but my list of considerations would include:
Ex Machina
'71
Sicario
What We Do in the Shadows
Inside Out
Slow West
Spring
Mad Max
The Tribe
Brooklyn
Kingsman
It Follows

A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence is really the title of a film?

Yeah, but the movie is aware of how pretentious that title is. It's a hysterical movie about death and "existence," as odd as that sounds. It's on Netflix streaming.

Fanatic, what are your all time top five movies and what are your top five thrillers/horror?

Did you see Spotlight? If so I guess you found it overrated.

Nit-pick time - Mad Max was from George, not Frank Miller.

Last edited:
Did you see Spotlight? If so I guess you found it overrated.

Nit-pick time - Mad Max was from George, not Frank Miller.
Ahh, yeah I always get those two names mixed up. Correct on Spotlight, yet another blank piece of product churned out of the Oscar machine. There's not one single scene in that movie that has anything resembling bravura filmmaking or any kind of identifiable techniques that would separate the director from anyone else, none of the characters are developed beyond some incredibly basic traits that barely separate the characters from one another, which is supposed to be the strength of the movie, and the score is maudlin shit. So of course it will sweep at the Oscars because "the cast is good."

I thought The Big Short was farrrr superior and more daring.

Last edited:
What about Hateful 8?

Fanatic, what are your all time top five movies and what are your top five thrillers/horror?

I'll go Top 10's cause I can't list just 5.

Top 10 thriller/horror:
1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
2. Don't Look Now
3. Halloween
4. Suspiria
5. Dressed to Kill
6. Inland Empire
7. Rosemary's Baby
8. The Night of the Hunter
9. Wolf Creek
10. Scream

Top 10 films of all time:
1. L'Avventura (Michelangelo Antonioni) (1960)
2. Vengeance is Mine (Shohei Imamura) (1979)
3. The Exterminating Angel (Luis Bunuel) (1962)
4. Pierott le Fou (Jean-Luc Godard) (1965)
5. The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick) (1998)
6. Solaris (Andrei Tarkovsky) (1972)
7. Walkabout (Nicolas Roeg) (1971)
8. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Tobe Hooper) (1974)
9. Barry Lyndon (Stanley Kubrick) (1975)
10. The Wages of Fear (Henri-Georges Clout) (1953)

These lists fluctuate from day to day pretty much, this is always such a tough question to answer.

What about Hateful 8?

I really liked a lot of what Tarantino was going for, but it just didn't come together for me at all, too many disparate parts, the screenplay seemed a bit loose, the flashback was completely useless, and it's hard to take the racial/political allegories seriously when people's heads are popping like balloons. It was almost as if he was parodying himself. Seeing it in 70mm was amazing though. The score and cinematography were top notch.

Back